on 27 March 2017
Having (shamefully) yet to start watching the TV series based on this book, I had a pretty fresh perspective when I started reading. From the earlier chapters of Piper describing her early involvement with the world of drugs and shady acquaintances, through to her experiences endured in prison, I greatly enjoyed it. In a similar vein to Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" (which I loved), she has taken the unfortunate, troubling circumstances she was faced with / got herself into and made the best of it with what she had. The end result is a raw, humorous, inviting look into her struggles and experiences, told in an endearing, personalised way. Would definitely recommend.
on 29 August 2017
After having worked in a prison myself, I felt this book almost finalised prison, making it seen like one big sisterhood.
It was intriguing at times and a good read however I would go out of my way to recommend it.
I haven't seen the television series therefore cannot compare.
on 24 November 2014
Having loved the show, was very glad to find the book and read the 'behind the scenes' of the show. Piper is loveable (in the book) as she navigates through the US prison system, the characters she meets but her own personal challenge to say sane and alive.

I shouldn't need to say it differs from the show but it does. I enjoyed it regardless.
on 9 September 2017
A must have for any OITNB fan! The memoir that inspired the eye-opening series.
The writer is very observant and pulls you right into the world of a women's prison.
The pace is a little slow at the beginning, but if you persevere you will not be disappointed.
on 29 August 2014
Bloody brilliant book & very interesting to see the difference between the real story & the t.v show, which I also love.

Very good read & a very interesting person, follow her on twitter as Mrs Kerman interacts with her followers & that in itself is impressive.

I really enjoyed her story.
on 26 September 2017
Great book, differs quite a bit from the Netflix show but I still really enjoyed reading it.
on 8 April 2017
Interesting read but series is much more colourful and entertaining.
on 20 May 2017
Enjoyed this book but never seen the television programme
on 23 May 2017
not like the series at all....she seems like a very selfish and self centred woman!
on 17 July 2017