on 27 March 2017
Having (shamefully) yet to start watching the TV series based on this book, I had a pretty fresh perspective when I started reading. From the earlier chapters of Piper describing her early involvement with the world of drugs and shady acquaintances, through to her experiences endured in prison, I greatly enjoyed it. In a similar vein to Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" (which I loved), she has taken the unfortunate, troubling circumstances she was faced with / got herself into and made the best of it with what she had. The end result is a raw, humorous, inviting look into her struggles and experiences, told in an endearing, personalised way. Would definitely recommend.
on 19 August 2017
I didn't buy this expecting it to be anything like the series; that would be an unrealistic expectation given how out there the show gets in terms of things that happen in a government facility. However I got this hoping for perhaps the source material of the show, the more realistic, gritty and simplistic version of the show. Unfortunately however it is this to a fault. The truth is that not a great deal actually happened to Piper Kerman in prison and there wasn't really any great danger or soul searching. She goes into prison, everybody is pretty nice to her and thats about it.

I figured there would at least be some pretty good character relationships in here too but nope. Fact of the matter is that unfortunately it's not a very interesting book and Kerman's insistence on switching topics every two pages makes it hard to follow on top of that.

Again this isn't anything I didn't expect. I didn't think I was going to be reading the TV show but on it's own merits this simply isn't a very interesting or well written novel.
on 27 July 2017
Really disappointed that the book came ripped on the front cover. This was a present for someone after they liked mine. Usually for myself I always buy Used but as it was for someone else I paid full whack for a New book.
As for the actual book, it's good.
on 24 November 2014
Having loved the show, was very glad to find the book and read the 'behind the scenes' of the show. Piper is loveable (in the book) as she navigates through the US prison system, the characters she meets but her own personal challenge to say sane and alive.

I shouldn't need to say it differs from the show but it does. I enjoyed it regardless.
on 29 August 2014
Bloody brilliant book & very interesting to see the difference between the real story & the t.v show, which I also love.

Very good read & a very interesting person, follow her on twitter as Mrs Kerman interacts with her followers & that in itself is impressive.

I really enjoyed her story.
on 8 April 2017
Interesting read but series is much more colourful and entertaining.
on 20 May 2017
Enjoyed this book but never seen the television programme
on 23 May 2017
not like the series at all....she seems like a very selfish and self centred woman!
on 17 July 2017
Interesting read. Excellent service
on 11 July 2014
Fascinating insight into one woman's experience of the American penal system. Would recommend.