Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 July 2013
As expected from Mark Doyle, this is a superb collection of uplifting summer disco house that goes big on melody.

The CD packaging, designed by new recruit Luke Woodford, is beautifully done. There's a thematic nod to the 'fierce angel' concept but things are taken in a magical and somewhat spookier direction. Such a nice change from the usual tacky dance compilation artwork that everyone else seems to employ.

That attention to detail is evident throughout the collection. Tracks don't just run into each other; everything is carefully placed to give the listener a journey through a range of emotions. Standout tracks on CD1 include the naggingly insistent 'The Same Old Thing' by Eric Kupper and the chunky, bass-driven 'Trapped' by House Republic (which turns the old Colonel Abram's hit on its head by welding it to the 'Music Sounds Better With You' bassline). The first CD closes with the terrific piano vibes of 'Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot', in which Peyton's vocals get the chance to soar.

CD2 diversifies the sounds a little more. There's a lovely song called 'What's It All About' by the Str8jackets that is that rare thing: a touching, gorgeously produced dance track with sensitive lyrics that dares to be a bit different. There is also plenty of the more traditional uplifting disco house, of which the absolute standout is the stunning Lucas Nord remix of 'Cerahtonia' by Fibes Oh Fibes. This is the very definition of uplifting dance music; the build to the chorus - and drop - is rewarded with production and beats that wash all over you. It's an emoto-house classic.

So another Fierce Angel triumph, with a renewed confidence both in terms of design and the focus on delivering only the very best of melodic disco house music.
on 1 August 2013
I am intrigued by the fact that a 'disco' was once a place to go and meet and dance and the genre of this style of dance music was born out of this ethos. Disco became House and the rest is history. Of course 'discos' in the original sense no longer exist and have been replaced by their 21st century counterparts with their overpriced cover charges, expensive drinks, drugs and over-eager clubbers. The essence however remains the same.

In a market saturated by overtly commercial offerings and electro dubstep sound-mashes that are gratingly labeled as 'EDM' comes this breath of fresh air. It is Disco. It is House. It is funky, soulful and energetic. The 12 tracks on each disc gradually increase in tempo and impact as the CD progresses. I've listened to all of disc one and only two thrids of disc two but I got the message.

Towards the end of disc one their are some familar samples that have been rechopped and rehashed into something new and refreshing and I really got a sense of late 90s nostalgia with this. It was a good thing!

I turned down Hed Kandi Ibiza 2013 for this and I think I made the right choice. You should probably buy this.

PLUS POINT: I ordered this yesterday but I haven't actually received the CD yet, in fact as I write this it has yet to be despatched. The new 'AutoRip' feature meant I could stream this from my Android phone via Amazon Mp3 when I got home last night. I opted to listen to the full length mix mp3 files but every track in its entirety is also included. In fact if you purchase the CD you get the full MP3 version of the album that you would get if you paid £7.50 for it... for FREE. This is a concept that I have been waiting for for years and hopefully this will help to revive the industry somewhat.

Ok so Amazon aren't great, they are sucking the life out the British High-Street, they aren't contributing to our economy fully by employing 'tax-dodges' left, right and centre but if you're the poor consumer there is not many other places to turn nowadays. Its a vicious circle I'm afraid.

on 22 July 2013
Mark Doyle brings yet another fantastic compilation to the world stage! Technology moves on, fashion moves on & so does music just as this album does, but the fundamentals are all there to keep things fierce.
on 14 May 2014
The reviews were great so i was really looking forward to receiving this album, personally i found it really disappointing.
Ive been a fan of Mark Doyle since the Hed Kandi days and have a number of his Fierce/Disco Kandi albums and this is my least favourite bar far. I'll perserve but i dont think i'll be listening to this much longer.
on 30 August 2013
I didn't think I was a fan of house music, until I heard this, absolutely fabulous., doesn't matter where you listen to this album or who you are, you will love it!
on 3 September 2013
Perfect work! All the tracks are simply fantastic! My favourite is "Long Train"... and this remixed is very faboulos! We wait the next!
on 30 March 2015
Received promptly, item as described & expected. Excellent price.