Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 19 February 2014
This is a great book about the cryptic crossword ideal for fans and newbies alike.

It starts with a typical cryptic crossword where the grid answers are the chapter titles of the book which is a nice touch. The book goes on to covers the history of crosswords and how they've developed over the 100 years they've been in existence along with a simple guide into the types of clues a solver may come across. Among the rest of the book which is an overall celebration of the crossword there is a fascinating section on how some setters take clue setting to the extreme and have created crosswords that have multiple ways to answer it with the same clues.

I particularly like how most chapters are nice and short allowing you to read as and when you have a bit of quiet time. Another nice little touch is throughout the book there are example clues demonstrating the current subject. There is never any pressure to solve the clues and you can pass them over without it affecting the read (although what solver is going to pass up the opportunity). The answers to all the clues are in the back of the book and in many case (especially in the clue type chapter) the answer is also explained. The only slight irritation I have is that in the Kindle Version you can't easily jump from the clue to the answer and back having to rely on the GoTo functionality which I always find hit and miss.
on 20 February 2014
I bought the Kindle version but would recommend the printed book as it would be easier to flip to the answers to the many, tricky and fun clues used to illustrate the wiles of the crosword setter.
on 5 November 2014
I've been solving crosswords for years and know all the tricks but this book honed my skills further and I've noticed a marked improvement. Very entertaining too, full of interesting factoids.
on 16 January 2015
fabulous book, read it twice on holiday, made me want to do more cryptic puzzles, and what a mine of information. loved it, even if you don't do crosswords, read this and you most probably will .
on 25 January 2014
If you are in the least bit interested in, or a total addict of, cryptic crosswords, this book is a must read. Everything you ever wanted to know about crosswords and their history. Not only was it a really interesting read but great fun too. I read it on my Kindle which was fine but I'm going to get myself a paper version as well as the frequent references to the back of the book are just so much easier with a finger or two as place markers. I also want to do the crossword.
on 30 August 2014
Such an interesting book and I'm leaning to do cryptic crosswords at last! Lots of amusing anecdotes.
on 17 September 2014
Bought as a Christmas gift last year. Very well received.
on 9 January 2014
I try the Listener crossword along with 2 distant colleagues. Bought one of these and immediately bought 2 more, 1 for each. They too think it is well worth buying. Well recommended.
on 10 January 2014
An unusual book on a subject that, as a cruciverbalist, I am very interested in. The author seems to have covered all aspects of the crossword field in a very readable way.
on 30 January 2014
I bought this for my adult son instead of an advent calendar. He really enjoyed it and brought it with him when he came to stay over Christmas. So I got to enjoy it too!