Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 14 October 2017
Superbly produced and acted. The butler Stevens is harshly portrayed as an incomplete person, uninterested in human relations (Miss Kenton) and politics (the Hitler threat) and obsessed by the need to "be of service". Just let me put in a word for poor old Stevens and his seemingly ridiculous obsession with the correct positions of the plates and knives and forks on the dinner table.

Most of our great professions (medicine, engineering, law etc.) depend on a precise attention to detail. Human relations and politics are fine in themselves but they can be distractions. If we are taken into an operating theatre or get on board a passenger plane, we would be uneasy if the surgeon or pilot were giving a big slice of his/her attention to emotional attachments or worrying about Trump or Brexit.

It is all a question of balance. Kishiguru deserves credit for getting us to think about this. E.M.Forster did the same sort of thing a few generations earlier.
on 9 October 2017
A wonderful film based on a no-less wonderful book. I would recommend to read the book first, but the choice is yours.
on 12 March 2017
Anthony Hopkins in great form,look out for his father in this film,played by peter vaughn,aka,Grouty in porridge.
on 27 April 2017
Great film full of emotion - tissues ready at the end
on 1 April 2016
We don't have the blu ray over here yet and when I saw that it was region free I jumped at it of course!! I'm not stupid! Also I liked the fact it was an excellent price and when I got it here and put it on the colors oh my! But they just really pop out at you..and it isn't like that with just the dvd..I.may make these some gifts for other people
on 21 October 2013
Perfect picture and sound quality. I've waited a long time for this. Previous release have always been inferior transfers to home media. Having purchased, over many years, the VHS and LaserDisc versions plus two different versions on DVD, finally the Blu-ray gives the picture quality this film deserves.

The reason I've had so many copies - top notch acting, photography and music combine into an almost perfect film.
on 22 November 2016
Excellent
on 19 June 2017
Superb acting, a nice representation of that era.
on 29 September 2017
A bit slow but maybe that's the point. Poignant story of misplaced loyalty and missed opportunities.
on 30 May 2017
Lovely transfer of a tragic love.