Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 September 2013
First off the bat my review is for the 2013 Deluxe Edition. Now I'm guessing most listeners coming to this release will already be familiar with Mike Oldfield's Five Miles Out so is this remaster worth the spend out? Well actually yes.

By the time Oldfield came to record Five Miles Out recording techniques and studio gear had improved a great deal since he started his career. It is from this point onwards in the Oldfield cannon that I always thought the remastering process wouldn't offer very much over the original releases. Well I was wrong, this release sounds absolutely tremendous. There is such definition and clarity and the bass is so round and warm. It sounds great loud too, those crunchy distorted power chords sound like they're gonna come straight out of the speakers.

Musically, Five Miles Out is a real highlight in Oldfield's career. There are so many twists and turns and so many beautifully interwoven layers. Oldfield was riding the crest of a very creative wave, there is so much energy on offer here. Many of the passages are actually quite heavy in a heavy rock sense but the number of styles presented is baffling. Five Miles Out is a unique album and the title track is perhaps one of the most unique, idiosyncratic pieces of music I've ever heard, it's just so strange yet familiar!

On to the extras; the live disc is stunning. There are some very playful and deftly executed versions presented here. The highlight for me is the crowd joining in with Five Miles Out while the band actually slip into a reggae vibe led by some amazing organ. I didn't think I could sit through yet another rendition of Tubular Bells but the version here is so different and creative. The other bonuses are worth the lay out too; we've had Waldberg (The Peak) several times before but again the remaster is so good that it sounds like a new track. As for the demo version of Five Miles Out (the track); very, very interesting, I'll be listening to that for a long time to come. I'm sorry to say I can't offer a review of the 5.1 mix as I'm not set up for it.

I must add a footnote about a much more recent album I know some of the Oldfield faithful are discovering. It's called Mohribold and was recorded by Andrew Taylor (google it!). If you like Five Miles Out or any of Mike's early albums you will love Mohribold and with such little music coming from the old maestro we all need a fix of something to fill the hole where a new Oldfield album should go!
33 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 8 March 2017
Definitely in my Top 5 Oldfield albums, and certainly in my all time top 15.
This was released in 1982. It was preceded by Q.E.2 (home of Taurus 1) and followed by Crises (home of Taurus 3).
I remember buying the vinyl lp in 1982 and have always loved it.
Side 1 is taken up with Taurus 2. This is more rock, more Celtic, more folk. It even has a song hidden away (if you have the vinyl, have you found the lyrics on the page cover). It's a mammoth track yet it flows from one style to another superbly well. It comes in at 24.49 minutes.
2. Family Man was a hit single. It is one of the few times Mike has been covered. Hall & Oates did a cover of it and had a hit to. A great pop song.
3. Orabidoo was one of my least favourite tunes. However, over the years it has grown on me. It is now one of my favourite Oldfield moments. Duration 13 minutes.
4. Mount Teidi is an upbeat instrumental.
5. Five Miles Out, for me, Mike's best "song" ever. This studio version is superior to any live version. It is rock in flavour and tells the true story of a near miss in a storm whilst travelling by plane.

The Mike Oldfield Group are:
Maggie Reilly, vocals. Morris Pert, percussion and keyboards. Tim Cross, keyboards. Rick Fenn, guitars.
with help from Paddy Moloney, Mike Frye, Carl Palmer and Graham Broad.
Note 1:
I recently bought the Deluxe 3 disc version. I was slightly disappointed that the 5.1 Taurus 2 was an earlier version and not the original as on side 1 of the LP. Very similar, but different.
Note 2:
Taurus 2 is similar in sound to Taurus 1, but Taurus 3 (on Crises) is totally different to either and doesn't follow any similarities.
on 10 March 2017
I have been listening and buying MO CDs and LPs for so long I am not saying here. But I never would of believed I would give 3 stars for one of my favourite Oldfield Album's. And going through all the high scoring reviews this CD is getting, it is all getting very confusing.
To start. This is the Deluxe 3 set. Disc 1 Five Miles out Remaster. 2. Live Disc. 3. Five Miles out 5.1 mix.
Delivery by AMAZON I could not believe. I ordered at around 4pm and it actually arrived around the same time the following day! STAGGERING AMAZON My thanks.
Now if you have started buying these Deluxe sets you will notice that you SHOULD get a plastic sleeve with the word Deluxe written on it to protect your quite valuable purchase. Well, I guess we can say Goodbye to that.
Now for the 3 stars.
Can I just point out that because I have brought hundreds of items from Amazon I have slipped into a habit I guess a lot of us have. You find your item. So check it out. Oh, here is a long list of 5 stars they must know what there on about!
Well that is a load of C***
You see for instance we could be giving reviews on different items. Now I don't know is this AMAZON'S fault it something I take for granted. But if your reading this AMAZON it has got to stop. I was reading a review half way down and the guy said it was ' scratched' yes he could hear the scratches! Yes people, under this product he was referring to the RECORD.
Now I bought that up because are we all going to give 5 stars to this Deluxe set after listening to Disc 3 the 5.1 mix?
Forget the fact the entrance has been removed ( the clicking sound before entrance) yep, petty. But the absolutely beautiful entrance to Orabidoo, you know, that gentle beautiful instrument ( I have only ever heard it on here ) It is, sorry guys cannot describe it....Well I hope your not looking forward to it on here... Because it has gone..Yes just gone. So thanks for pointing that out all you guys who gave it 5 or 4 stars. The sound on disc 3. There is a chap on here who did what I did. Opening the packet ( should doubt as if he had to remove his slip case also) I put Disc 3 in for the 5.1 mix. I cannot remember what he said but he was not happy. The sound, if you don't have the system to play 5.1 can easily be reproduced. Place the disc in the machine but throw all your speakers in a Bath of water. The Dull and muffled sound should be just nice.
Oh, the 3 Stars. Delivery, out of this world and the Remastered first disc is in fact Beautiful. And that is the nub isn't it? It really sounds beautiful. And you know what you have to pay for it. The Live gig is ok. Very interesting and I am glad to have it. But I DID BUY IT FOR THE 5.1 and that has been Ruined. If this gets put up can I say sorry for errors in punctuation and spelling.
Crisis should be in the post tomorrow.....Well, we can hope!
on 27 May 2017
Great multi CD / DVD set with clearer sounds with extra tracks that are hard to find .
on 19 June 2017
I purchased this as an MP3 download because it was so much cheaper then the CD, but as with all mp3 files, there is some loss of quality. I would really like it if I could buy downloads in FLAC format which is lossless. The album itself is excellent and I would have given it 5 stars if not for the format issue.
on 14 March 2017
Thank you from Russia. Fast shipping. Good recording quality.
on 27 June 2017
Popular, Mike Oldfield.
on 26 June 2017
very interesting set of discs I like them a lot
on 14 January 2016
Great album shame about damage to cover but right price
on 16 September 2016
Not sure yet, seems MO is fulfilling a contract to provide a certain quantity of sounds per-year. It's not really 'him'; but I will listen when doing other things & may grow on me. Of course others may disagree, but then, music is a subjective thing.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse