on 5 September 2013
First off the bat my review is for the 2013 Deluxe Edition. Now I'm guessing most listeners coming to this release will already be familiar with Mike Oldfield's Five Miles Out so is this remaster worth the spend out? Well actually yes.

By the time Oldfield came to record Five Miles Out recording techniques and studio gear had improved a great deal since he started his career. It is from this point onwards in the Oldfield cannon that I always thought the remastering process wouldn't offer very much over the original releases. Well I was wrong, this release sounds absolutely tremendous. There is such definition and clarity and the bass is so round and warm. It sounds great loud too, those crunchy distorted power chords sound like they're gonna come straight out of the speakers.

Musically, Five Miles Out is a real highlight in Oldfield's career. There are so many twists and turns and so many beautifully interwoven layers. Oldfield was riding the crest of a very creative wave, there is so much energy on offer here. Many of the passages are actually quite heavy in a heavy rock sense but the number of styles presented is baffling. Five Miles Out is a unique album and the title track is perhaps one of the most unique, idiosyncratic pieces of music I've ever heard, it's just so strange yet familiar!

On to the extras; the live disc is stunning. There are some very playful and deftly executed versions presented here. The highlight for me is the crowd joining in with Five Miles Out while the band actually slip into a reggae vibe led by some amazing organ. I didn't think I could sit through yet another rendition of Tubular Bells but the version here is so different and creative. The other bonuses are worth the lay out too; we've had Waldberg (The Peak) several times before but again the remaster is so good that it sounds like a new track. As for the demo version of Five Miles Out (the track); very, very interesting, I'll be listening to that for a long time to come. I'm sorry to say I can't offer a review of the 5.1 mix as I'm not set up for it.

I must add a footnote about a much more recent album I know some of the Oldfield faithful are discovering. It's called Mohribold and was recorded by Andrew Taylor (google it!). If you like Five Miles Out or any of Mike's early albums you will love Mohribold and with such little music coming from the old maestro we all need a fix of something to fill the hole where a new Oldfield album should go!
33 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 8 March 2017
Definitely in my Top 5 Oldfield albums, and certainly in my all time top 15.
This was released in 1982. It was preceded by Q.E.2 (home of Taurus 1) and followed by Crises (home of Taurus 3).
I remember buying the vinyl lp in 1982 and have always loved it.
Side 1 is taken up with Taurus 2. This is more rock, more Celtic, more folk. It even has a song hidden away (if you have the vinyl, have you found the lyrics on the page cover). It's a mammoth track yet it flows from one style to another superbly well. It comes in at 24.49 minutes.
2. Family Man was a hit single. It is one of the few times Mike has been covered. Hall & Oates did a cover of it and had a hit to. A great pop song.
3. Orabidoo was one of my least favourite tunes. However, over the years it has grown on me. It is now one of my favourite Oldfield moments. Duration 13 minutes.
4. Mount Teidi is an upbeat instrumental.
5. Five Miles Out, for me, Mike's best "song" ever. This studio version is superior to any live version. It is rock in flavour and tells the true story of a near miss in a storm whilst travelling by plane.

The Mike Oldfield Group are:
Maggie Reilly, vocals. Morris Pert, percussion and keyboards. Tim Cross, keyboards. Rick Fenn, guitars.
with help from Paddy Moloney, Mike Frye, Carl Palmer and Graham Broad.
Note 1:
I recently bought the Deluxe 3 disc version. I was slightly disappointed that the 5.1 Taurus 2 was an earlier version and not the original as on side 1 of the LP. Very similar, but different.
Note 2:
Taurus 2 is similar in sound to Taurus 1, but Taurus 3 (on Crises) is totally different to either and doesn't follow any similarities.
on 10 March 2017
I have been listening and buying MO CDs and LPs for so long I am not saying here. But I never would of believed I would give 3 stars for one of my favourite Oldfield Album's. And going through all the high scoring reviews this CD is getting, it is all getting very confusing.
To start. This is the Deluxe 3 set. Disc 1 Five Miles out Remaster. 2. Live Disc. 3. Five Miles out 5.1 mix.
Delivery by AMAZON I could not believe. I ordered at around 4pm and it actually arrived around the same time the following day! STAGGERING AMAZON My thanks.
Now if you have started buying these Deluxe sets you will notice that you SHOULD get a plastic sleeve with the word Deluxe written on it to protect your quite valuable purchase. Well, I guess we can say Goodbye to that.
Now for the 3 stars.
Can I just point out that because I have brought hundreds of items from Amazon I have slipped into a habit I guess a lot of us have. You find your item. So check it out. Oh, here is a long list of 5 stars they must know what there on about!
Well that is a load of C***
You see for instance we could be giving reviews on different items. Now I don't know is this AMAZON'S fault it something I take for granted. But if your reading this AMAZON it has got to stop. I was reading a review half way down and the guy said it was ' scratched' yes he could hear the scratches! Yes people, under this product he was referring to the RECORD.
Now I bought that up because are we all going to give 5 stars to this Deluxe set after listening to Disc 3 the 5.1 mix?
Forget the fact the entrance has been removed ( the clicking sound before entrance) yep, petty. But the absolutely beautiful entrance to Orabidoo, you know, that gentle beautiful instrument ( I have only ever heard it on here ) It is, sorry guys cannot describe it....Well I hope your not looking forward to it on here... Because it has gone..Yes just gone. So thanks for pointing that out all you guys who gave it 5 or 4 stars. The sound on disc 3. There is a chap on here who did what I did. Opening the packet ( should doubt as if he had to remove his slip case also) I put Disc 3 in for the 5.1 mix. I cannot remember what he said but he was not happy. The sound, if you don't have the system to play 5.1 can easily be reproduced. Place the disc in the machine but throw all your speakers in a Bath of water. The Dull and muffled sound should be just nice.
Oh, the 3 Stars. Delivery, out of this world and the Remastered first disc is in fact Beautiful. And that is the nub isn't it? It really sounds beautiful. And you know what you have to pay for it. The Live gig is ok. Very interesting and I am glad to have it. But I DID BUY IT FOR THE 5.1 and that has been Ruined. If this gets put up can I say sorry for errors in punctuation and spelling.
Crisis should be in the post tomorrow.....Well, we can hope!
on 4 September 2013
My copy arrived this morning, this is one of my Favourite Mike Oldfield albums I always prefer the rockier sound that came with this album, and I loved the title track. The first thing however was the disappointment that still Universal have not returned to the slip case, which they used recently for the ABBA release of the Visitors and there third album in Deluxe format. The problem with the package is by putting tape saying deluxe around the box is just tacky and so easily damages,if removed and we all know the cost is minimal, just to slip a plastic slip case over the set.
Putting the packaging to one side, this set is a marked improvement to QE2 and Platinum, where you get a DVD with not only 5.1 sound but DTS as well, which is just great to here in the surround mode. You notice and hear a lot more during Tarus ll which kicks of the album. Family man with a roaring base and drums which stand out very much as do the vocals which are placed in the centre speaker, but you also get a lot of guitar sounds coming from the rear speakers which only seems to enhance the sound of the album. As you may expect the title track sounds excellent in 5.1 and you also get a bit more visual while the album plays,a spinning record for family man, and the mix drawings for Mount Teidi.
The CD is a great re-master some tracks sound like they have been completely re mixed, so you may want to hold onto your Virgin copy as well There are also other visual treats including Mike Oldfield performing the song on the BBC 6.55 special. One thing I did notice on the promo video Maggie Riley had been replaced by some blonde girl miming, why who knows. So apart from the initials package which is a great shame this a a return to the first three release with 2 CD's and a DVD which is great value for money, I won't mention what happened with Crisis but that's another review. One star knocked off for the package.
on 17 December 2014
Bizarrely, I bought the single 'Five miles out' back when it was originally released, but I never bought the album... More fool me!

this isn't 'Pop', this is 'Progressive' music, as all the subtleties reveal themselves after repeated listening.

This equally isn't the Mike Oldfield of the 70's either, and it's kind of better for it. On first hearing it's a bit of a shake up, with creativity pulling the music in all directions. Somehow, over time, it all finds its place.

What I definately like, is the drumming, which is pleasingly 'loose' in places, and the music's better for it. This aspect is much-missed in the live versions.

How do you explain a song like 'Mount Teidi' being your favourite? Beats me, but it is!

The ordinary album is excellent by itself, so should you go for the 'deluxe' version? The live Tubular bells is good, though not as good as that on 'Exposed', and that's down to the drumming again... The live versions of songs from FMO add things, but probably detract from the 'purity' of the originals.

The original album sounds great. It's varied, interesting and full-bodied. I admit, I was really very pleasantly surprised.
on 14 August 2015
Great album, still sounds as good as ever. Only downside is the Vinyl version does not initially seem a big step up from my old CD, which is not the case on most other albums. But very possibly because the older editions were actually very good anyway and also I have not compared fully, so possibly I am not being fully fair at this stage. That aside it does still sound excellent and there are some really musical highs on this album, which is my favourite Oldfield album and then Crisis. The price is reasonable too for the Vinyl. I'm using a Systemdek IX/Rega RB300/Goldring 1042/Audiolabs 8000Q/PX with Rega phono amp/Mission 752 speakers, which I am very happy with for rock music and the Vinyl does give the Marantz 63 Signature KII (still a very good CD player) a right good kicking when the Vinyl is good.
on 3 November 2013
An outstanding edition of one of Mike's most successful albums. Disc 1 contains a worthwhile remaster of the original release which is much clearer in its' fine details than any previous release plus a couple of bonus tracks. Disc 2 is a live disc of the Five Miles Out tour recorded in Cologne in 1982 and has enough variation and dynamism to bring me back to it multiple times, and disc 3 is a dvd which offers up a really great alternative mix of the album in 5.1 surround sound plus 3 bonus video promos for the Five Miles Out single. As someone who previously owned the album, I find the extra production quality plus the bonuses very good added value, such that this set is a worthwhile upgrade even if you do own an earlier version. If you're new to Mike Oldfield's work, I'd still recommend it as with this set you get a great album, a sense of Mike's live sound, a great 5.1 mix to show off to your friends, and the visual side of things represented with the videos. The packaging itself is a fold out 4 panel affair, with the middle two holding the cd discs, panel 4 being a sleeve with dvd inside and panel 1 containing an excellent 16 page booklet.
on 19 June 2015
This is a CD that shows a more experimental phase Mike Oldfield with pop sounds and the variance in instrumental. There is a greater presence of vocals than previous albums and note the influence of the moment of launching the drive to pop rhythm. The presence of this more percussion and some experimentation is also noticed in voice. Highlights include the tracks "Taurus II", "Family Man" and "Five Miles Out". It is an alternative drive from the previous, following the thought of "QE2" in alternating trend, no sameness. Good! Note 7.5.
on 16 September 2013
The 5.1 mix of this album is one of the best uses of the medium i have ever heard. It is up there with War of The Worlds & the ELP re-issues. While it fully uses all the avail be speakers to full effect it never sounds gimmicky or looses sight of the original intent of the music which is sublime in some places. I now sit longing for the same treatment to be given to Amarok. Taurus 2 has never sounded so rocky or so subtle or so grand! the bass really comes through in this track as the percussion runs around the room. Mikes lead guitar for the most part is firmly set in the left & right front speakers, bass is nicely set centre stage - everything else gets to wander to great effect. Family Man has a edgy feel to it that is missing from the standard stereo mix which i think adds to the overall effect of the song given the subject material. Orabidoo sounds like the soundtrack to some mad half forgotten dream you had. The vocoder is otherworldly and disconcerting but is used to good effect to to tie the mostly percussive track together as it dances around your head. By the time mike starts to solo over the end of the track you are drawn back into the dream just in time for the transition to the lovely acoustic song that acts as a coda. Mount Teidi in 5.1 has the feel of a soundtrack. It could easily have fitted onto his Killing Fields if they had wanted or needed a love theme. Five miles out is just the best version you will ever hear of this song. I have not stopped playing it. Buy this now, just for the 5.1 mix.
on 30 September 2014
Stunning semi instrumental album and my personal all time favourite Mike Oldfield album.

The title track and Family Man are superbly crafted and all the other tracks are superb too.

Only Songs Of Distant Earth and Tubular Bells (The original and Best) come close.

Highly Recommended.