Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 8 March 2017
Definitely in my Top 5 Oldfield albums, and certainly in my all time top 15.
This was released in 1982. It was preceded by Q.E.2 (home of Taurus 1) and followed by Crises (home of Taurus 3).
I remember buying the vinyl lp in 1982 and have always loved it.
Side 1 is taken up with Taurus 2. This is more rock, more Celtic, more folk. It even has a song hidden away (if you have the vinyl, have you found the lyrics on the page cover). It's a mammoth track yet it flows from one style to another superbly well. It comes in at 24.49 minutes.
2. Family Man was a hit single. It is one of the few times Mike has been covered. Hall & Oates did a cover of it and had a hit to. A great pop song.
3. Orabidoo was one of my least favourite tunes. However, over the years it has grown on me. It is now one of my favourite Oldfield moments. Duration 13 minutes.
4. Mount Teidi is an upbeat instrumental.
5. Five Miles Out, for me, Mike's best "song" ever. This studio version is superior to any live version. It is rock in flavour and tells the true story of a near miss in a storm whilst travelling by plane.

The Mike Oldfield Group are:
Maggie Reilly, vocals. Morris Pert, percussion and keyboards. Tim Cross, keyboards. Rick Fenn, guitars.
with help from Paddy Moloney, Mike Frye, Carl Palmer and Graham Broad.
Note 1:
I recently bought the Deluxe 3 disc version. I was slightly disappointed that the 5.1 Taurus 2 was an earlier version and not the original as on side 1 of the LP. Very similar, but different.
Note 2:
Taurus 2 is similar in sound to Taurus 1, but Taurus 3 (on Crises) is totally different to either and doesn't follow any similarities.
on 16 August 2017
Bought for the two tracks Family Man and Five Miles Out which are just brilliant and amazed my partner as she thought Hall and Oats wrote Family Man as many others do.

Hoped that with me ageing and sometimes mellowing the other tracks might appeal now but unfortunately not.

The other tracks I still find it boring and dreary, however if your into world music or mediattion / whalesong type stuff you will most likely enjoy. The issue is there is no consisteny / uniformity and the tracks just don't gel / work as a cohesive album in my opinion. Its like they were taken from a number of LP's over different years.
on 27 May 2017
Great multi CD / DVD set with clearer sounds with extra tracks that are hard to find .
on 19 June 2017
I purchased this as an MP3 download because it was so much cheaper then the CD, but as with all mp3 files, there is some loss of quality. I would really like it if I could buy downloads in FLAC format which is lossless. The album itself is excellent and I would have given it 5 stars if not for the format issue.
on 14 March 2017
Thank you from Russia. Fast shipping. Good recording quality.
on 27 June 2017
Popular, Mike Oldfield.
on 9 August 2017
great
on 26 June 2017
very interesting set of discs I like them a lot
on 14 January 2016
Great album shame about damage to cover but right price
on 5 September 2013
First off the bat my review is for the 2013 Deluxe Edition. Now I'm guessing most listeners coming to this release will already be familiar with Mike Oldfield's Five Miles Out so is this remaster worth the spend out? Well actually yes.

By the time Oldfield came to record Five Miles Out recording techniques and studio gear had improved a great deal since he started his career. It is from this point onwards in the Oldfield cannon that I always thought the remastering process wouldn't offer very much over the original releases. Well I was wrong, this release sounds absolutely tremendous. There is such definition and clarity and the bass is so round and warm. It sounds great loud too, those crunchy distorted power chords sound like they're gonna come straight out of the speakers.

Musically, Five Miles Out is a real highlight in Oldfield's career. There are so many twists and turns and so many beautifully interwoven layers. Oldfield was riding the crest of a very creative wave, there is so much energy on offer here. Many of the passages are actually quite heavy in a heavy rock sense but the number of styles presented is baffling. Five Miles Out is a unique album and the title track is perhaps one of the most unique, idiosyncratic pieces of music I've ever heard, it's just so strange yet familiar!

On to the extras; the live disc is stunning. There are some very playful and deftly executed versions presented here. The highlight for me is the crowd joining in with Five Miles Out while the band actually slip into a reggae vibe led by some amazing organ. I didn't think I could sit through yet another rendition of Tubular Bells but the version here is so different and creative. The other bonuses are worth the lay out too; we've had Waldberg (The Peak) several times before but again the remaster is so good that it sounds like a new track. As for the demo version of Five Miles Out (the track); very, very interesting, I'll be listening to that for a long time to come. I'm sorry to say I can't offer a review of the 5.1 mix as I'm not set up for it.

I must add a footnote about a much more recent album I know some of the Oldfield faithful are discovering. It's called Mohribold and was recorded by Andrew Taylor (google it!). If you like Five Miles Out or any of Mike's early albums you will love Mohribold and with such little music coming from the old maestro we all need a fix of something to fill the hole where a new Oldfield album should go!
33 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse