Customer reviews

Slow Focus
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 21 October 2013
So I came to this release having got over the embarrassingly juvenile band name and being the owner of both Street Horrsing and Tarot Sport. The short clips on Amazon are never going to be much of a clue as to whether to splash-the-cash when you are talking about lengthy compositions welded together and so I returned to the two previous albums and gave them a listen (which hadn't happened in a while).

I love the concept of FBs. I love the noises. I love the songs. The problem with the last two albums for me was that, when the songs were lined up back-to-back, it resulted in an aural assault with little variation of light and shade and by album's end, I was always screaming for less. Now don't get me wrong. I'm as noise-addicted and discordant as the next guy - if the next guy happens to love Autechre as much as I do. The albums weren't so much 'nosebleed' as 'bleeding out through the nose'.

What finally drove me to buy this was the (excellent) review by the two dudes at velocitiesinmusic on u-tube who made me realise that this album actually has...LOW FREQUENCIES. Did they get a new piece of kit ? This was what was lacking in the last two album releases. Furthermore, they are used to such great effect on each track that this feels like...(drumroll plz)...an album...with each track having some respect for the previous one rather than being a variation on it. Overall, the album has the right length, the right blend and sufficient variation for this type of barely-controlled, flailing, abrasive noise. At the album's end, I can even contemplate listening to it again...remarkable.

I really do feel that this is an important progression and I doubt that I'll be so hesitant when the next album comes around.
on 15 October 2014
I had originally missed this release and was delightfully surprised to see another F*ck Buttons (as it appears on the sticker XD) album I was not expecting. Still swaying along to Blank Mass' last EP I was eager to hear what sonic-scapes the team have made for me under their original name... wow.
I have to admit to rationing myself to Brainfreeze. As an experience it is an assault but one that empowers and uplifts and almost induces a psychotic episode. I have fallen more in love with Re Wing over time, it has a sweetness to it. The first time I heard Princes Prize I was compacted into a Nintendo, shaken up vigorously and poured out as a mess of sprites.
This album has stronger links with earlier work, it has more of Street Horsing than Tarot Sport, however each track does read together as a potential narrative. The title is apt, each sequence evolving, changing throughout the piece but never a complete crescendo or total resolution. I am left asking questions, or in a state of mild bewilderment that is pleasing to a weirdy beardy creative such as myself XD
on 6 February 2014
Tarot Sport there last album is for me one of the best albums I've heard, it forward thinking, original, challenging and uplifting. It would be a task to improve on that, but Slow Focus makes no attempt to repeat the formula, they take a darker, even more intense and experimental approach. Whilst still combining elements of post rock, shoegaze with electronica and techno, there is a harder hip-hop and industrial core to this album. Tracks such as Red Wing kick off with a stomping abrupt hip-hop beat and evolve into swirls of noise and climate into a wall of sound as expected from the F Buttons, where as Hidden XS start much slower and almost tranquil before exploding into moments you'd never expect unless your familiar with the F Buttons. Much recommended for anyone with an open mind to new, innovative music.
on 29 February 2016
This stuff feeds something primitive that lurks in the recesses of the psyche. The slow building aggression on some of the tracks - especially Sentinents - makes your head swim. Don't listen to it while driving! Ferocious and fantastic!
on 15 January 2014
Aggressive attacking moody and intelligent, this isn't music to listen to, this is music that grabs you by the throat and twists your head around to stare right into your eyes and dare you to turn away! Brilliant
on 27 January 2016
Excellent item as described. Prompt dispatch, safe and sound. Top marks.
on 10 September 2013
It's awesome, it's amazing... it's a must have for any serious recorded music collection...
on 8 September 2013
I have always enjoyed the Buttons and was looking forward to their next piece of work. I'm pleased to say that is an excellent album. They have carried on from where they last left off (Electronica) without being too experiemental in their format. Typically lenghty tracks that build with layered complexity.
on 4 December 2015
Awesome. Turn the volume up and enjoy heavy electronica at it's best. 'The Stalker' is the ultimate. Superb.
on 15 August 2015