Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 1 December 2014
I saw this on the TV and thought it was one if the best and funniest Shakespearian plays I had seen for a long time. This would be a very good DVD to show in schools to children who are just learning about Shakespeare as it really was very entertaining and very easy to follow. A bit of a masterpiece.
on 24 April 2015
This is an astonishing production, Mark Rylance is the perfect Olivia without a hint of camp, just beautiful. The gentleman playing her maid Mary is equally on point. Unsurprisingly Stephen Fry is great as Malvolio both funnily pompous yet emotionally vulnerable. A really definitive production.
on 27 October 2014
This is an excellent production of Twelfth Night. I show it to my students and it is great to see them connecting what we discussed in class about Shakespeare and Elizabethan theatre to what is produced on stage. The fact that it is line for line is wonderful and I was especially happy to realize that the chapter sections of the DVD are broken up into each of the different scenes. There were kids shouting out "look at the trap door" and every time Maria appeared on stage they would giggle and snicker. The fact that it is an all male cast really helps them understand the twisted plot even more. I also like the use of music in the production.
on 6 April 2014
OK, the negatives first - not my favourite Toby Belch/Sir Andrew Aguecheek of the very many productions I have seen. But you can overlook this for the sheer magic of the marvellous Mark Rylance and a beautifully sensitive and understated performance from Stephen Fry as Mallvolio. Was afraid he might overdo it - but he didn't.. And this production has the best Maria I have ever seen - worth buying for that performance alone! Hightly recommended.
on 5 June 2015
This a really good filming of an excellent production. The all male cast in Elizabethan costume was magnificent and a more comedic than dark interpretation. Visually a delight and a production which makes you listen to a familiar story with new ears. Ideal introduction to Shakespeare for those who are not familiar. I have bought it as gifts for friends all of whom have loved it.
on 5 October 2015
I'm studying Twelfth Night for A Level English Literature and I found this version so easy to understand because the actors are so expressive! It's really entertaining and very funny. I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone, especially if you're studying this play.
on 29 August 2013
I saw this productionwhen it was relayed to the Uni Theatre and bought the dvd as soon as it was available. BUY IT
It is a wonderful and colourful production. The actors are superb. I am sure I will view the dvd many times.
I've watched it twice already. Every actor plays his part well but of course I have my favourites. I have to say Mark Rylance and Paul Chahidi are absolutely hilarious. I recommend it to every age group
on 23 September 2014
I'm not sure what I can add to the comments posted by other reviewers, suffice to say that I enjoyed this production of TN far more than any other that I've seen. The atmosphere created by the Globe Theatre venue is superb and the quality of the cast is outstanding. If, like me, you cannot get to the Globe, and you enjoy Shakespeare comedies then this is the DVD for you.
on 30 July 2014
The most excellent rendition of the play you will see. I adore it! Stephen Fry is an obvious highlight and one very good reason to watch; however the rest of the cast shines brightly.The 'female' actors bring new life to their roles with expert insight and finely nuanced performances. So much can be said with a facial expression in the right place. Lots more you could say but watch for yourself!
on 12 May 2014
Steven Fry is brilliant in this, Mark Rylance also. This is a funny version which lets you appreciate the olde worlde Shakespearen play and its intrinsic humour, before the social politicians got their hands on it. Well worth a watch and hilatriously funny.