on 15 November 2015
Anyone who thinks Shakespeare comedies are not really funny needs to see this; it's an absolute delight from beginning to end and I defy anyone to watch it without howling with laughter. What a master stroke to cast it, as it would have been in Shakespeare's day, with an all male cast. Mark Rylance gives a wonderful performance as the Lady Olivia. Through clever phrasing and intonation and some wonderful business with his dress, giving the impression that he is hovering around the stage, he gets laughs for a character that is not usually thought of as a comic creation. There is some marvellous ensemble work here, but I must single out national treasure Stephen Fry, who is suitably pompous as Malvolio, and the wonderful Roger Lloyd Pack, sadly no longer with us, as Sir Andrew Aguecheek. I shall watch this again and again.
5 people found this helpful
on 28 September 2015
This was fun! I did not buy the DVD because of Mark Rylance, but I will watch it again (and probably again some day) because of him. He is just unbelievable... fun, like LOL fun, but never flat, never stupid, there is so much intelligence and elegance in what he does. But the others did well, too. Very well indeed. I had no idea , when I purchased the DVD, because I had just seen some trailer on youtube (and I am a Johnny Flynn fan), that I would get such an extraordinary piece of art. From the theater itself, to the music, to the actors, to the wonderful words (the difficult part, for I am clearly no native speaker....) everything complemented each other.
You should buy the DVD. Really.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 3 November 2017
I don't think I could teach this play so effectively if I didn't have this production: the proof is in some students obtaining full marks on their English Literature paper. Students commonly respond with - I didn't know Shakespeare could be this funny, or, Is this really Shakespeare? An all male cast really helped my class to understand ideas about reality and appearance, or cross-dressing, or disguise, or ... Mark Rylance is superb - as indeed are all the other actors too.
One person found this helpful
on 10 October 2015
Cannot get enough of mark rylance before being the super star of the wolf hall! More comfortable to watch at home of course and hope the actors get the proceeds of what one buys! The acting is great which goes for fry as well and as a foreigner i love when the director gives me the chance to view shakespeare as himself and his fellows view it. Hope rylance does not give up theatre, impossible to buy a ticket for farinelli!!!!!! I do not rate actors on their off stage behaviour but cannot help myself pointing that rylance seems to be a wonderful fsther, husband and friend ( interviews tv and radio bbc) and fry an activist against any type of prejudice.
2 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2014
I am a secondary school Drama teacher and in the A level exam students must refer to 'original conditions' when writing about a Shakespeare play they have seen. For years it has been really difficult for them to imagine the theory of this. Yes they understand that men played women, yes they understand that everyone stood and watched but there are few times when a totally original attempt is done so actually 'feeling it' or truly 'getting it' is difficult. Not only is this truly faithful to original stuff but it is quite simply one of the best versions of Twelfth Night I have seen (and believe me I have seen a few). Mark Rylance is a genius and totally gets Shakespeare in a way that makes it instantly accessible for anyone watching. Genuinely funny and brilliantly done. Worth watching even if not studying it with puzzled 17 year olds!
on 1 February 2016
What a brilliant production! Mark Rylance is amazing - as usual - and Stephen Fry is a revelation. The whole cast is sublime. I have watched this more than once and laugh out loud every time. I love the productions from the Globe - the interaction between the cast and the live audience really adds another dimension and makes you wish you were there. Watching this is the next best thing - love it!
2 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2014
OK, the negatives first - not my favourite Toby Belch/Sir Andrew Aguecheek of the very many productions I have seen. But you can overlook this for the sheer magic of the marvellous Mark Rylance and a beautifully sensitive and understated performance from Stephen Fry as Mallvolio. Was afraid he might overdo it - but he didn't.. And this production has the best Maria I have ever seen - worth buying for that performance alone! Hightly recommended.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 April 2015
This is an astonishing production, Mark Rylance is the perfect Olivia without a hint of camp, just beautiful. The gentleman playing her maid Mary is equally on point. Unsurprisingly Stephen Fry is great as Malvolio both funnily pompous yet emotionally vulnerable. A really definitive production.
on 27 October 2014
This is an excellent production of Twelfth Night. I show it to my students and it is great to see them connecting what we discussed in class about Shakespeare and Elizabethan theatre to what is produced on stage. The fact that it is line for line is wonderful and I was especially happy to realize that the chapter sections of the DVD are broken up into each of the different scenes. There were kids shouting out "look at the trap door" and every time Maria appeared on stage they would giggle and snicker. The fact that it is an all male cast really helps them understand the twisted plot even more. I also like the use of music in the production.
on 1 December 2014
I saw this on the TV and thought it was one if the best and funniest Shakespearian plays I had seen for a long time. This would be a very good DVD to show in schools to children who are just learning about Shakespeare as it really was very entertaining and very easy to follow. A bit of a masterpiece.
4 people found this helpful