Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 28 April 2016
Top book and all for free, you really need to download this and give it a try, hours of reading and you cannot go wrong, grab it now :)
on 18 August 2014
It's well written with a good narrator and a lot of dry humour. The relationship between him and his wife is interesting and should be developed more, I think - as should the local colour and period detail. The story drags - I mean really drags. It could have been shortened by a hundred pages. The author falls into the trap of many crime novels, whereby a long middle section consists of the detective interviewing the witnesses and suspects, then interviewing them again. And again. The characters of these people are not very interesting. The murder happens two thirds through to a dull character. I didn't care, I'm afraid. I'm sure the author can do better.
on 14 October 2013
I was lucky enough to be given a copy of this book by the author, for review. This is the third Harry Reese Mystery I have read and in Kalorama Shakedown I think the author has found his style. Less Wodehouse and Christie, more his own delightful creation. Harry and Emmie are back to their wonderful bantering selves and Harry has further developed his own way of coping with his wife's eccentric ways - he seems content to just let her be herself. (Why aren't more men like that?) This adventure takes them to Washington along with two more great characters - Elizabeth and the Countess. A slightly bemused, amiable Harry ambles through the plot involving jewel thefts. the Press, politics and so much more. The story was gripping, shocking and yet great fun. I look forward to the next instalment.
on 7 October 2013
I read this book over a weekend and I absolutely loved it.It is very well written and the characters are so entertaining that I couldn't put it down.
My favourite was Emmie, the insurance investigators cheeky wife, who has a few secrets of her own and likes to have the odd gamble.
The author has a huge talent for storytelling and I look forward to reading his other books.
I think the Harry Reese Mysteries should be adapted for a screenplay- it would be great material for a TV series or a movie.
on 5 October 2013
I loved this book! Having read ' Crossings'(also part of The Harry Reese Mysteries), I was eager to see if the author could maintain that same level of satirical humour and suspense. Well Mr Stewart you've done that in spades! It was so entertaining. This particular mystery involved jewellery thefts and murder, and, as usual, there were a lot of suspects, but I was kept guessing right up to the end, and I think that is a skill in itself. I have quickly become a fan of Harry and his wife Emmie, and look forward to future mysteries.
on 3 October 2015
I caught sight of this on my list of books awaiting my review - I had forgotten I had read it. But, being reminded, I am immediately going to read it again and also buy another in the series. It's a great romp - cleverly written and with a splendidly wry tone to the narrator. A hint - just a very faint hint - of Damon Runyan.
on 26 February 2015
I have just laughed my way through this witty novel. The plot is straight forward Harry Reese is sent to investigate a possible insurance fraud and ends up being dragged in to all sorts of capers. I will definately be reading more from this series.
on 15 March 2015
This is the 1st one of his I've read, and I quite liked it. A very dated style, requiring an understanding of how the world used to be, to get an idea of the difficulties of detective work before forensics were heard of.
on 20 February 2015
I'm sure it's a brilliant book but I couldn't get into the story. Too many characters, too much repetition, and not enough depth, as other reviewers have said.
on 14 October 2015
The story was ok but parts of the book seemed a little confusing, the characters could have been developed more to give a fuller rounder story.