on 4 July 2016
A detailed authoritative and well presented account of the history and functioning of the European Union. The book doesn't try and tell you whether the EU is good or bad, it merely describes the structure and history of the EU and allows the reader to reach their own conclusions.
on 27 May 2016
Informative and packed with historical and federal knowledge. This book is especially relevant because of the UK's June the 23rd of 2016 EU referendum vote coming up.
on 5 September 2017
It is short but covers the main purposes of each division of the EU.
on 6 December 2017
The book is informative and summaries the EU as I expected it. However, pages of the book started to fall out and I can’t even read it by holding it.
on 11 April 2017
The content is fine, but the pages of the book started to fall out very soon after I'd opened and started to read it. I don't treat the books roughly or differently to the average reader, so poor finishing in the manufacture?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The European Union: A Very Short Introduction

I like this series of books. For me it keeps me doing something between Cornwall and Paddington on frequent journeys to the City.

This book is a gem and taught me more about the EU than all the newspaper and internet searching I have done on it. I feel with the European elections coming up and all the debate on whether we should be in or out I need to get the big picture rather than the political peddling we get from the political parties.

This book, although short, goes into a lot of detail about how the EU has evolved and works. It is written by a political expert and I did not find it biased at all. I feel I now have the intellectual tools to make informed decisions on the EU and how the UK integrates into it along with its future role.

The writing style is text book like but very informative and useful. You need to know a little background to get the best from it but most people would find this a useful read. Students of politics will find this a very useful starting place on how EU policies are made and enforced.

Overall a great little book from a very good series on lots of topics. These books are also inexpensive and compact and in the series there is something for everyone.
I like this book very much as it has armed me with the facts so that I can make informed decisions when discussing our EU position.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although this particular series of booklets are referred to a "A Very Short Introduction," the content nonetheless is detailed and expansive in terms of both accurate information and useful facts.

The fundamentals of European integration are set out as well as the argument for the need of integration.
The writer, John Pinder,follows a federalist system for both integration as a guiding principle and as he say's "were states are likely to remain as central actors for the foreseeable future."

The reader will be challenged throughout this book to look at the development of the EU to date and then to decide whether they lean toward a federalist or intergovernmental approach in judging the way the EU should go.
on 19 March 2016
I brought this to understand the EU from an everyday perspective. All I wanted was to find out the damn thing works so that I can vote on it in July.

However this book really feels like its written for students in their first year of politics, explaining the different political theories used to analyse the EU and its growth more than the EU itself.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 April 2015
The book by aim and definition is concise but meticulously written, comprehensive in its treatment, and scholarly. It is written with rigor and density and after you read it you will obtain a serious insight into the aims, structure and evolution of the EU, its institutions and functions as well as its relation with the rest of the world. This third Edition published in 2013 has undergone a radical revision brought by changes since the second Edition in 2007 such as the Lisbon Treaty and the EU fiscal crisis.

The scope of the book is encapsulated in the following excerpt from the preface: 'The concern of both of us (its two authors) has been to present the ideas in a way that will help to provide a context for reasonable people, whether they lean towards a federal or intergovernmental approach to evaluate the performance of the Union and judge in which direction it should go. And we have endeavored to be scrupulous.'

Take the preceding at their face value. The book is a product of labor and the product of that labor is worthy.
on 25 July 2016
I read this to try and understand how the EU works. Having read it, I'm not sure that I am any the wiser - and that is not the fault of the writers. It just seems so incredibly complicated. Which may go someway to explain why more people voted to Leave than Remain. What this book also makes very clear is that the European project does mean ever greater integration. I voted Remain to keep things as they are. It appears that that was never an option.