Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.64

on 23 May 2017
Great, intelligent but informative way of alerting us to creating a Website.
on 15 August 2015
I'm in the progress of reading up any pitfalls I may come across before I make a start on creating my first website. I'm hoping all goes well. Will update.
on 16 June 2011
Being a seasoned web designer myself I picked up this book with the intent of flicking through and looking for anything new that I might not know. But on after a while I realised that I was reading through the pages and nodding and smiling as I took on a fresh perspective on something I have been doing for years now.

There is plenty for all abilities in the book. From the newbie to the accomplished designer. For the newbie it provides the basic grounding in how to make things work and get a website up and running. But within these pages is also a refreshing point of view for the experienced designer that helps you think about what your site actually needs to accomplish and how you can make it happen.

The book doesn't just talk about <h1> tags, keeping the right kind of brackets in your script or what needs to be in your metadata. It looks at the viewpoint of a web visitor and talks about what is going to put them off. The honest fact that people are, generally, lazy and the ours of work you've spent getting the logo for page 3 spinning is all wasted if they click off and leave if the home page doesn't tell them what they want to know.

The format of having 'hot tips', warnings and reminders down the sides of the page at first I found quite distracting but they turn out to provide a useful memory jog of what is going on when you look back at the pages.

Included or links to sites to download code snippets and helpful pointers as well as plenty of references to on-line examples of how things can be done.

After reading this book I'm not going to tear down my websites and rebuild them from the ground up, but I shall certainly be making a tweak or two based on the wisdom gleaned from the pages of this book.
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2014
An easy and informative read chunked into useful sections including important topics such as SEO (search engine optimization) to blog engine choice. In addition it includes even more advanced subjects such as CSS3 (cascading style sheets) and JQuery. The beginner will be taken on a journey of discovery from creating your first simple page, through to styling the page, adding links to social media sites and finally publishing your hard work for others to enjoy.
Many of the topics covered will enable you to embellish your blog posts with easy to read tables or lists, link to external sites and add some dynamic content with the use of JavaScript and JQuery. The web is a constantly changing landscape and this book ensures you are up to date with chapters on HTML5 and CSS3 which will ensure you web presence is readable by even the latest mobile and tablet based browsers.
As a crafter with an existing blog, I was able to take much of what the author shares and incorporate easily. Adding social media plugins and links to an ecommerce solution were explained in enough details to enable me to incorporate these services into my blog in very little time, increasing my traction with Facebook, Twitter and Google+ as well as allowing my flowers to buy my creations from the comfort of their armchairs.
If you are a blog author, then there is a complete section on CMS (content management systems) with a focus on WordPress and how to get the most from it. You can use many of the skills that the book teaches to enhance your blog’s template, and even go on to create you very own.
Al in all, a good start point for your journey into website design and development that will not only enhance the quality of your web presence, but may even find you digging deeper into what you can create using HTML5, CCS3 and many other web technologies.
on 10 July 2013
This book is very good, and for beginners. I did find however it was more about the theory of constructing of a web site, rather than construction of the site itself.
Although a good read, the book was not detailed enough for me, nor did it include the level of code examples required for me to pass BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma courses, try "HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites" book instead, very helpful.
on 1 September 2011
I'd class myself as a beginner in the field of Web Design, but I've been dabbling for over a year and have collected a small library relating to this topic. My other books fall into three categories: a). too complex b). too simple or c). strong in one area and sketchy in others. This book covers all the bases and takes you through all the stages from initial Planning and Design to Testing, Promotion, Search Engine Optimization and Visitor Analytics.

It's a 'must-have' book, whether you're a novice web designer intending to 'do it yourself', or you're dealing with a professional web design company who are going to do it for you. Either way, the information you'll glean here will be invaluable.

The body of the book covers creating effective content; priceless guidance on layout and design, and essential pointers relating to clear website navigation. HTML and CSS are covered in an extremely concise and clear way that makes you want to delve further. The author doesn't claim that reading this book will give you in-depth knowledge of HTML and CSS, but this is the best and most lucid introduction to both of them that I've read. The chapter on CSS is, in fact, quite exhaustive and may comprise all you ever need to know!

The introduction to Javascript is wonderful! I know something about it but I've never read anything that made so much sense immediately! I had a 'Eureka' moment; not many books can do this. You can try something yourself very early on in this particular chapter. It works, and then everything seems to fall into place.

This is a comprehensive, all-encompassing, clearly-written guide to Web Design without which I would be all the poorer. It is a also a beautifully presented book as reagards layout, text and illustrations. The 'sidebar' reminders, tips and warnings are very useful indeed.

This book has been and will be a boon to me; I recommend it wholeheartedly. Buy it with confidence - you won't regret it!
on 21 March 2014
The book is incredibly easy to read and follow. As a beginner about the subject I thought this book covered all the topics I wanted to discover and learn more about. From SEO to CMS or even CSS, HTML, testing etc etc, thanks to this book you will not waste your time gathering the information bits by bits from different sources. All you need is clearly categorised in chapters.

It's a 'must-have' book, whether you're new at web design or not.

Invaluable information regarding website navigation and effective design. HTML and CSS are covered in a way that it is easy for anyone to really understand and put it into practice!

It is a great tool as well to tweak a wordpress theme for example if you use Wordpress as a CMS.
If you dont know what a CMS is then buy the book because it is also explained in it !

I find the book quite exhaustive and it comprises all you ever need to know for your first or even second website!
This is a clearly-written guide to Web Design. Beautifully presented book with great layout, text and illustrations. The reminders, tips and warnings are very useful!

I recommend it to anyone interested in Web Design!
on 13 August 2013
This is an excellent book on the subject of web design. It doesn't give you a detailed 'how to do a website' but is packed full of useful background, just about everything you need to consider before you then (as I did) go off and buy an html/css book.

Some of the links are out of date ie the website examples but it is interesting to see how some of them have changed since this book was written.
A smidge under £6 for the Kindle edition. very easy to read book, chapters are well laid out with lots of useful tips and examples. It will be a useful resource for a long time and I will keep dipping into it.

If you are interested in web design whether you are thinking about doing your own or you are a business owner wanting to get someone else to do a site for you this is essential reading.
on 19 October 2014
If youre after a book to teach you Website Design & Development then this isnt your book (use the HTML5, CSS3, Javascript & PHP & MySql books instead). If youre after a book to teach you about the different kinds of design processes, How each accessibility tool is used and why, how designing your website correctly can benefit your site etc. then this is the book for you, its defiantly earned its place on the bookshelf as a go to book if i need to recap myself on a specific thing. I got this book to improve my designs, give them a better feeling for the people who can not use websites effectively due to disabilities such as being blind. This helped me improve my skill set and is written well like the rest of the series.
on 24 October 2014
This book is superb. I am fairly highly computer literate (wholly self taught), but one area I have no experience hitherto is of web design. My needs are those as publicity officer for a small voluntary organisation. We have limited expertise and even more limited money available.This book has foreseen all the needs and pitfalls of entering this field, takes you gently onwards from first principles, and has enough content and detail to enable the novice to make a good job, with or without professional help. I have found it specially valuable in identifying the issues one has to be aware of, deal with, and decide upon BEFORE getting down to work. Too often, 'a website' can be blithely and simplistically seen as 'the answer' for an organisation struggling with promotion and publicity, and this book makes it clear that a website is NOT a panacea. Rule one: content comes first. Rule two: content comes first. Rule three: content comes first. Think this through, think about the needs of the readership, prepare your material, and then the website will (with a little help!) fall into place!