3,566
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.49

on 29 April 2013
This is a brilliant book. Awesome. A unique theme very well written. Keeps you guessing right to the bitterweet end. I really couldn't put this book down - make sure you read it in one sitting, you will need to. The story is about Rachel, the central character, and how she comes to terms with how her life changes, and how it affcts those close to her, following a devastating accident. The plot and the characters are really well constructed and I didn't want this book to end. More please from Dany Atkins. At 78p on Kindle it is a shame that this book is not being very heavily promoted. Found it by accident, would have happily paid full price for it and the lack of promotion and the price does not do the author justice.
33 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2013
I've been looking for a new contemporary romance to read (after ploughing through a lot of pretty sub-par erotica) and came across this novel. I am SO GLAD I FOUND IT.

This is a fantastic debut set in England, telling the story of Rachel, whose life is torn apart after a tragic accident. Five years later, she ends up returning to Great Bishopsford, where she used to live, but a fall lands her in hospital. Waking up she learns her life seems to have fractured - and everything that she thought had happened since the accident never took place. Instead she's in a world where everything is completely different . . . including her fiancé.

This book has everything - genuine, likeable characters and fantastic dialogue (with some definite laugh-out-loud moments), as well as a heartbreaking love triangle at the centre. I can't recommend this enough - but beware of reading the ending in public. I did NOT see it coming and it blew me away!
0Comment| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2014
highly recommended I loved every single page, consistent pace that moves along fast enough to want more yet not too quick that you get confused. a brilliant story by a talented writer one of the best novels I've read to date can't wait for the next book.
on 4 March 2014
I decided to read this book after reading the reviews. My usual genre is Crime/Thriller and I felt like reading a book without any murders to solve for once :) The idea of parallel lives interested me and I must say I was drawn into the story immediately. Without spoiling the story the book explores two scenarios, two sets of events in the lives of a group of friends who experience an accident together - life could go one way.......... or another !!!! The stories are linked but very cleverly kept separate with no misunderstandings as to which life you are reading about at a particular time. I like the main character, she seemed very believable - all the characters did in fact. I read the book in three big chunks! It did turn out to be quite a page turner. I couldn't imagine how the author would tie everything up at the end - but she did and very well too. I will be looking out for more from Dani.
on 30 April 2013
Very intriguing book - couldn't put it down! Finished it in two readings, look forward to reading more from this author.
on 4 March 2014
Easy to read. I didn't get lost which can happen with two tales intertwined. And the final chapter was sad but happy and left me wondering which was reality. Great read and looking forward to next book
on 21 February 2013
What a great book! I usually pride myself in being able to see how a book is going to end but this one took me totally by surprise. This has such a clever twist in the tail. I could not put the book down once I started reading, the characters are so believable and likeable.
I was hoping to find more of this author's work to download, but see this is her first novel - I can't wait for the next one to be published!
on 19 May 2013
Someone mentioned this book to me, so at the price, I thought I'd give it a go. Absolutely blown away by it. The writing was superb - and the story was unbelievably clever. Couldn't put it down and it's one of those books, that will stay in your mind for a long time after you've finished it. More please Dany! Fabulous!
on 30 April 2016
I wanted to give this four stars as I found it quite confusing, but then I would be penalising the author for being cleverer than me. The story may be confusing, but it all makes sense in the end. There are hints at what is happening throughout the book, but I must admit I didn’t join up the dots.
The first paragraph is very attention grabbing and is the clue for the rest of the novel. Amnesia is very plausible after a head trauma, but schizophrenia not so much. Although there can be periods of audio and hallucinatory images, they wouldn’t be that random, or cease and disappear without medication.

Jimmy is wonderfully warm, considerate and maybe a little too honourable where Rachael is concerned. However, he is not averse to bending the law by using his position in order to help her discover the past. He is the stereo typical male who can’t be with the heroine because she is going out with the wrong man. Even before she discovers Matt’s infidelity, she knows there is something wrong with their relationship.

Rachael’s conviction about her past and her attention to detail, leave everyone confused including the reader. She has a deep concern for people, as demonstrated by the way she worries about her father’s health, as well as Joe and his wife Muriel.

Matt despite his privileged background does appear normal and considerate, if a little weak, succumbing to the charms of another woman.
Sarah although described as her best friend does not appear to be much of a confident, but perhaps the driver behind this story is Rachael’s relationship with Jimmy.

The ending is satisfying and brings the book to a natural conclusion.
on 21 January 2016
Just as 18 year old Rachel and her group of friends are preparing to go to University tragedy strikes, killing Rachel's best friend Jimmy and leaving her scarred both physically and emotionally. Five years later and she is living but a half life, having broken up with her old boyfriend Matt, in a dead-end job, crippled still by Jimmy's loss. Then after an accident Rachel wakes up in hospital to find her life drastically altered; gone is her scar, she has her dream-career and is engaged to Matt, and most freakishly of all Jimmy is still alive! The last five years as she has known them have been re-written it seems; yet whilst she should be thrilled with this new perfect life, Rachel is unable to accept it, desperately seeking answers and willing those around her to believe that she is not going mad. What is the reason behind this bizarre change in events?

For me the book started off quite well, capturing the dynamics of Rachel's group of friends and the interplay between them all, before throwing a curveball in the form of Jimmy's death, and then forwarding five years to the point of the so-called fracturing of time. By this point I was invested enough in wanting to know how Atkins planned on wrapping it all up and explaining everything to stick with it to the end; and certainly the central premise was an interesting and unusual one. I did correctly guess the ending, which was rather bitter-sweet; some might call it a cop out, but I actually thought it was the right path to choose.

Unfortunately I found the actual writing and characters themselves too one-dimensional to really enjoy the book. It read to me as Young Adult Fiction, which I have to say is not my usual genre; and so I can't particularly make any fair comparisons with others of its like.

Atkins' descriptions of a group of people in their early twenties did not ring genuine; they all seemed far too mature in their attitudes and mannerisms, and can you really be a detective inspector at the age of twenty-three? Likewise coming from a medical background, her vague allusions to Rachel's headaches and her previous accident made no sense, nor her descriptions of the medical team's responses to Rachel's presumed mental health problems (people aren't just reflexively tranquilised in this day and age).

Also for Kindle readers, the actual story ends at 80%; so the last chapter was sprung as rather a surprise on me being as I had thought there was still another 20% of the story to go. Though given that by that stage I was struggling rather to continue ploughing on, it might have been a good thing.

Overall I have to say this was rather disappointing despite the interesting premise, and a below average read for me personally.