Customer reviews

on 31 March 2014
I considered buying one some time ago, but opted for a Western Digital NAS as a time machine backup disk. It made sense, nearly £200 difference between the time capsule and the WD drive for 3tb. I already had an Airport Extreme, so i thought it would do the job. It has been nothing but trouble. Slow transfer, lost connections, and occasionally it just disassociated my mac with the backups. Apple make products that work seamlessly together, so i decided to get a time capsule. I waited until the price was right, and bought it.

Set up was easier than my Airport. I connected them together, and Airport Utility asked if i wanted to replace the Airport with the Time Capsule. It then transferred all settings over and within 2 minutes, the Time Capsule was now providing my wireless network. Time Machine found it, and i set it up as the new back up drive. I selected my external iTunes drive and work drive to backup (so 2.5tb total) and off it went. It was completed inside a day, and has been spot on to date. I relocated my Airport upstairs to wirelessly extend the network, and as such the connectivity is so much better up there now. I also use the twin frequency feature, so my iPhone and mac connect to the 5ghz network, and other devices such as printer are on 2.4. The iPhone and mac connect at around 300-4500mbps, with little interruption.

I know Apple charge a lot, but the time and hassle that they save it worth the extra money, i don't want to mess around trying to get things to work, i want to use the technology i have to create things, enjoy digital content, to enhance my digital life, and this product has solved a small 1st world issue i had. It won't change your life, but it has meant i could ditch the WD NAS that was and under performer.

Keep an eye on the price, i got it when it dipped to £280 (£70 cheaper than Apple).
on 29 August 2013
For someone who's knowledgeable but only to a point, this has been a lifesaver.
It literally sets itself up after you plug it in and your computer finds it.
Great!
on 15 July 2014
I purchased this item after my WD Passport external hard drive locked me out, as a new external drive for storage of some 50000 Raw images. But after reading up on it I found that it was better used as a back up to my system. I did manage to get back into my passport and at the moment it appears to be behaving itself, but I now have the TC doing regular backups automatically and don't have to worry about loosing all my images in the future.

The other function of the TC is as a router and I read mixed reviews as to how well this worked, we had a reasonable internet connection via Virginmedia, though we always had problems with buffering if we tried to watch anything on the BBC iplayer, since installing the TC this has not been the case and the signal is noticeably better now.

Having had some bad experiences in the past setting up wireless routers, I was not looking forward to setting the TC up, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how quick and simple it was. One reviewer said it could be done in the time it took to make a cup of tea and he was actually right.

A very stylish looking piece of equipment, if that is important to you.

It is not a cheap item but then again if you are looking at Apple products they never are, but the TC only confirmed my opinion that Apple is worth paying that bit extra for.
on 15 March 2017
Bags of back up space. Sits in the background and does its business quietly. I still prefer to use this in preference to Cloud backups.
on 15 May 2017
In daily use for over two years and still works fine would recommend
on 14 June 2017
Worked seamlessly. Great peace of kit and provides peace of mind with backing up data.
on 14 June 2017
Great item for automatic backup of my iMac, very pleased.
on 22 September 2017
It just works...
on 14 December 2013
Delivered, unpacked, setup in fifteen minutes, can't argue with that.

However, to make the TC work at it's best I preferred to have it manage the network in it's entirety which means setting the connected modem to operate only in bridge mode then go back and reconfigure the TC to manage the DHCP and NAT functionality with PPPoE (that the modem previously handled). No major dramas here either.

Be advised however that I have not found a menu option within the iMac's Airport Utility that allows you to setup a compatible wireless printer - this menu does however exist within the iPad/iPhone version of the Airport Utility. This caused me several hours of fuss until I used the mobile setup by chance.

All in all, a fantastic piece of kit that sits quietly atop a piece of furniture and does what it needs to without any intervention, and my home network is faster for it too.

RECOMMENDED!!
on 15 November 2013
Brand new and genuine Apple product.
Cheaper than the Apple store price.
Connects wirelessly to all my laptops.
The WIFI is much better now with Airport Time Capsule.
Great seller.