on 26 June 2013
This collection seemed a short one, perhaps because two of the stories are in other SF megapacks and especially because the novella "The Status Civilisation" is something I've read before in paperback.

That said, this is still a good chunk of high quality "golden age" SF short stories and very cheap, costing only 59p at the time of writing.
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2013
Robert Sheckley is one of the masters of the science fiction short story. Alternately chilling and witty (and often both in the same story,) he is probably best know for his novel 'Dimension of miracles' and short stories such as 'Ghost V' & 'The People Trap.'

This collection includes classics such as 'Bad Medicine' and the short novel 'The Status Civilization.' I would urge people with even the slightest interest in the golden age of science fiction to check this out, after all for the fraction of the cost of a bus ticket you get hours of entertainment from an acknowledged master of the art.
on 24 August 2013
I have read one or two of these stories before, but it was well worth purchasing for the rest of the book. Some of the SF Kindle Megapacks that I have downloaded have been middling, with good and excellent stories being lost amongst mediocre stories. Robert Sheckley deserves to be better known, his stories are clever and humorous, and don't seem to date.
on 19 August 2013
A great read - back when SF stories were new and original. Reading these afresh after many years, I appreciated the enthusiasm and humour, the sense of 'what-if?' and 'just imagine' in stories that only filled a very small section of my local library.
A great deal of the content is 'dated' and we can smile at some of the concepts in light of more recent developments. True, too, there are gaps in logic that need a bit of a leap to negotiate, but overall this is a very entertaining collection. Keep in mind when these stories were being written and then appreciate the ideas and the wit.
on 14 August 2013
Being a lifelong sci-fi fan but by no means an expert I found these stories excellent. Having read very little of Sheckley,s work I was pleasantly surprised by the content of the book. Despite the now dated style of writing I enjoyed the book immensely. I came upon three stories that I have read previously in other anthologies and thought I would never see again, and now have permanently in my Kindle library.
Thank you publishers for a great read. I will look for more of your choices.
on 8 February 2015
Back in the day Bob Sheckley was classed as one of the best but always found it difficult to find his books. Now having gone through marriage, kids, divorce etc. and finding Amazon I can think about getting back to some decent reading.
on 9 October 2014
Classic is never old. I read most of the stories as sci-fi collection when I was kid. Reading them again many years later i cannot help but wonder how well they hold. Most deal with philosophical issues really that use science fiction just as a backdrop. Together with the great Sheckley writing style, this book remains amazing. At the low Kindle price it is a steal.
on 31 August 2013
A wide range of short and medium length stories fro Robert Sheckley. I met him many years ago so it is great to return and read classic SF stories.
Sheckley takes the reader into his strange world of bizarre happenings often with a sting in the tail. At face value the adventures take place in America back in the mid 20th century but speculative writing paints a possible future and all stories appear to be in a similar future world.

For anyone keen on the older traditional for of SF writing I who recommend this book as a good collection.
on 7 October 2014
Robert Sheckley is possibly the finest comic, science fiction author. I have collected his works since the mid '80s. Having a set of shorts on my phone is a huge bonus allowing me to reread shorts on the go for the first time in a long while.
Though different, if you enjoy Douglas Adams Hitch-Hikers, Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat or Terry Pratchett's Discworld you'll find some thought provoking shorts in here.
on 13 July 2013
As a long time fan of Robert Sheckley I looked forward to reading this - and I did enjoy it but the stories are far from his best. Worth it if you're a fan like me, but try something else if you're not familiar with his work.