on 28 February 2014
It's not at all clear on Samsung's website or in the info provided by Tecknet but this is all you need to clone your present HDD to the Samsung 840 EVO and then you take the 840 EVO out of the case, remove your HDD and replace with the SSD. You then can plug your HDD into the case and you have a). A complete backup of your system and b). A spare external HDD .
The case has Sata slots and your corresponding SSD and HDD will just slot into the case and it comes with the cable necessary to clone your system.
8 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 1 February 2014
This was the first USB 3.0 external enclosure that I bought. Since then I have bought another USB 3.0 external enclosure that was about £4 cheaper, as believed it to be a bargain. After putting both enclosures to a comparative test, found this TeckNet enclosure, to be more than twice as fast when transferring a 7GB photo folder to the same enclosed SSD. I repeated this test, this time with an HDD, and again the above TeckNet enclosure was more than twice as fast. (In the test I used the cable that came with the respective enclosure, and for consistency, used the same USB 3.0 port on the computer.) Both external drive enclosures, have the same spec (External USB 3.0 Super Speed [5GBit/s] / Drive enclosure / Case 2,5" (6,4 cm) / SDD + HDD).

Since doing this test, I have sent my bargain back and ordered a second one of these.

The other good features are, no screws (or screwdrivers) needed.. it is easily to fit the HDD or SSD, as it effortlessly fits into the SATA connector (no excessive force is needed, unlike some enclosures I've had in the past) . But you do need to learn, the best way for you, to open the enclosure to put the drive in. There are small retainer tabs, inside and centre, at the top end of the sliding lid. So with light downward pressure to release the tabs, you then need to slide the lid open. It took a fews attempts to do these two movements in one operation. But once you get it, it's easier the second time and becomes easy there after.

This enclosure is made of a hard plastic. I don't no what kind or how strong this plastic is, so I have no idea on how well it could withstand being dropped or having something fall on it.

For the price this is a great product.
8 people found this helpful
on 26 August 2015
Great little caddy. Bought a 1tb hard drive for a PS3 awhile ago but never used it so decided this would be a better way to get more storage for my Xbox One. Hard drive connects to the end and the case slides on firmly and there is a spongy material on the top of the case so there is no chance of it sliding off accidentally and actually takes some force to remove. Unlike some cheaper caddy's I've used, this one connected straight away with the 1tb 2.5" drive and formatted quickly to work with the Xbox One. Also has a really small footprint, which means its easy to put out of sight (there's a small gap below my Xbox as it's suspended on some books and it fits snugly under there). The USB3 cable is included.

Occasionally my Xbox doesn't read it on startup and I have to unplug/replug it but that may be an Xbox issue rather than specific to this caddy. Documentation is thin on the ground but what do you expect for a product like this?

Support also contacted me with warranty information which was a nice touch - most companies don't include the documentation and emailing customers is unheard of to me!

Overall good quality and a great product. For £10 you'd be hard pressed to do much better if you're looking for a 2.5" hard drive enclosure!
on 7 November 2014
I spent a lot of time looking around for a caddy for my old SSD which just got taken out of a PC. A lot of the ones sold by PC Component companies were over the 20GBP mark and only utilised a SATA II controller so I was wary. After a lot of time searching I found this one priced around a tenner and it used USB 3.0 and SATA III, awesome!

It came in frustration free packaging (don't really care) and within seconds I was all up and running. You literally slide the back off, yes it really is tooless, you slide in an SSD or 2.5" HDD then slide the back back on and you're set. It doesn't need external power and you just use the included cable.

With an old Kingston V200 SSD it transferred 40GB worth of music over USB 3.0 in two minutes, so hiiiiiiiiighly impressed!
2 people found this helpful
on 3 September 2014
Excellent cheap external case. I used a Seagate Barracuda Spinpoint 500GB 2.5 inch SATA HDD (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007R00RYU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I'd been using in a PS2. Using the free windows app "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" I recovered the hidden partitions and reformatted to NTFS using default allocation sizes.

I plugged it into a USB 3 extension cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JM1TQ7G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) since the one that comes with it is a tad stiff and short for my setup which in turn was plugged into a PCI Express 2 port USB 3.0 expansion card (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S0Y9FK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1, it's an old PC :( ).

Crystal mark came up with the following figures :-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 0.421 MB/s [ 102.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.018 MB/s [ 248.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 0.546 MB/s [ 133.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 1.043 MB/s [ 254.8 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [G: 7.1% (33.0/465.8 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2014/09/03 9:03:39
OS : Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 [6.0 Build 6002] (x86)

I'm very pleased with the figures overall.

I also use it with an LG 630 TV & LG 240 Blu Ray player with no problems.

BTW if you do need an extension cable it actually uses a standard USB 3.0 micro B connector which is different to the USB 2.0 versions.
I've just ordered one here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JOG0L9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 although there's plenty of alternatives.
on 18 January 2016
Quick and easy to fit an SSD drive in to, no tools required. So far so good with reliability and works exactly as I hoped.
It seems quite sturdy and is surviving being thrown in my rucksack, without a case.
The LED is handy for seeing drive activity.
I've only used it with an SSD so have nothing to compare it to for actual speed rating, but this combined with a SanDisk SSD has impressed me with how much quicker it is than a traditional external drive.
I now own 2 of these enclosures, because I was so impressed with my first that I bought another.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2014
The saying "You get what you pay for" normally applies in Tech, but so far I haven't found any drawbacks to this product. The enclosure came in a small amazon packet and was easy to open, the drive was easily fitted and required no tools, it simply slots into place - A 6 year old could manage this. The drive uses the latest USB 3.0 Micro USB plug which plugs into the enclosure, and a USB 3.0 USB for the PC. This is backwards compatible with older machines with USB 2.0 ports and worked fine with my laptop, but obviously it is going to be slower.

The drive is lightning fast, I am using an old laptop 500GB Western Digital drive in it. I have submitted a Disk Speed test into the product images (I'm not sure how long this takes to show up or if it will be approved) over USB 3.0 for those curious.

The drive looks professional, my only complaint is that it is made from a rough plastic that shows up greasy prints very easily (Although hardly a legitimate complaint).

Would highly recommend.
review image
on 7 November 2014
This case is actually much nicer than it is presented in the photograph. It reminds me of the Seagate ones; nice and small, compact form factor and aesthetically pleasing. The 2.5 drive from my old laptop slotted snuggly, even more so with the extra included padding should you require it. Everything clips together.

The only thing stopping this from being a 5 is that I would have prefered some sort of screw fixture to keep the sliding back in place. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way it is just now, but it would make me feel happier knowing that it won't open with some rough handling should i have it in my rucksack.

It comes with an instruction book which I've not had to look at since this case is so straight forward.
on 4 August 2013
Got this external 2.5" external enclosure a couple of days ago and what can I say.

IT'S GREAT I have had this type of product before for around the same price, but it has always needed me to attach tiny little screws, that within no time I would of lost of break trying to use different hdd's.

I am happy To say that this is not a problem here. Top cover slips on with a satisfying clunk. And feels very firm. You also get some extra padding in the box in case you are using a slim profile hdd.

Speeds are great sata 2 ssd drive I was getting easy 100 to 170mp/s via a USB 3 connection. About the same as a internal speed transfer. So super happy with that for the price.

A normal 5400 rpm laptop drive. Was getting a safe 120 burst speed and on a very large 113GB file transfer was getting 33 to 66. All the way.

I am so happy with this I am going to buy another one.

Guys do not let this one slip away.

Easy install. About 3 secs. And good speeds. Bye bye internal drives
|0Comment|Report abuse
I really like this. It's sleek, looks good, solidly constructed, and incredibly easy to install hard drives. The only tool involved in the installation is myself.

After receiving my first one, I actually ordered another one a few days later for an additional hard drive.

Only reservation is that it uses some bizarre cable, and not a standard USB. It is provided, but it's too short to satisfy my needs. As the actress said to the bishop.

In summary: not only is it a great product, it is also great value. I would recommend highly, and remind you that having bought one, I bought a second. Should I ever need another, I will come straight back to this product. Great job, TeckNet!