Customer reviews

Price:£6.99

on 17 May 2017
Fantastic CD.
on 17 June 2013
Marcus Bonfanti's long awaited third album has finally arrived and I have to say that it is the most fulfilling album yet from a guy who is one of the most gifted musicians I know from his guitar playing to his extraordinary vocals that still amaze me to this day after seeing him live numerous times over the last four years. Speaking to Marcus recently he told me that he is immensely proud of this album as he put all of his heart and soul into it, I can tell you now music lovers that this is one of the must have releases of 2013.
So what does Shake The Walls give us from Marcus that makes it so good and different from his last two albums? Well it's the band sound I have been craving for with eleven original tracks most of which were tested out over the last twelve months on the road either as band or solo gigs before being refined and finessed at The Grange Studio using the analogue taping format.
His impressive song-writing skills with his trusted collaborators, mainly Jake Field, give us an insight to the perils of drinking
and women with some humorous lyrics as with the opening two tracks `Alleycat' and `Cheap Whiskey' both very clever lyrically and musically great choruses for you to sing along with. The self-penned `We All Do Bad Sometimes' has an infectious melody I cannot get out of head, starting off with a gentle guitar hook it soon grows and grabs you again when the band kick in to set the groove and features some great guitar towards the end of the track.

Marcus surrounds himself with trusted and very accomplished musicians with Scott Wiber on bass and the extremely underrated Alex Reeves on drums, these guys show how tight they are on the album and none more than `Honest Boy' with the vocalising set up differently this time, more great guitar and harp on one my favourite songs `Jezebel' again the melody just grabs you and takes you on the journey.
I know that Jimmy Page is a big influence on Marcus and it shows on the intro to `Stone Me Sober', this is another song that rocks along with lyrics about being chastised by a partner about drinking habits.
Great friend Paddy Milner is the `unofficial' fourth band member on the album featuring his excellent Hammond playing on three tracks here all of differing styles, firstly on the raucous and very commercial `Baby Don't Dance' to me this song has HIT written all over it and should be on every commercial radio stations playlist, awesome vocal on this song.
`Blind Alley' is the biggest surprise to me, a mainly acoustic country blues tune co -written with the amazing Sharon Vaughn, a beautifully crafted song which I think has more than a tinge of Chris Isaak about it especially when the electric guitar kicks in, another track that what be suitable for much radio airplay.
Paddy is more prominent on another killer track `Honey' this a slower brooding tempo which features some lovely interplay with Marcus' guitar and primal vocals, the slide guitar is in use to good effect on the rocking `Bang Of A Gun' featuring more great drumming from Alex.
Finishing off the album and quite rightly so is the award winning `The Bittersweet' which is now finally publically released with a new version from previous gig only EP format.

Shake The Walls is brilliantly produced by Dave Williams who has captured the intensity and subtlety of Marcus Bonfanti, this should catapult him into the mainstream consciousness of the music world with this album which shows his versatility in both lyric and musical content and would not be surprised if it features in music awards over the next eighteen months or so.
on 2 July 2013
This is a superb offering from Marcus Bonfanti and may very well be the album that the mainstream pick up.
With enough chunkiness to please the rockers and bags of vocal tenderness, every song is a cracker, although if I had to choose just one... I couldn't. :-)
on 29 June 2013
I was just about to finish my shopping on Amazon when I stumbled across this album. After seeing nothing but 5 stars and reading the reviews I decided to give it a try, and here I am to add my 5 stars.

I had never heard of Marcus Bonfanti but now I'm glad I have, this guy is a huge talent who sings and plays from the heart. I like various types of blues and would rate this as modern blues that needs to be played loud.

Buy it and you will be back to add your 5 starts too.
on 20 June 2013
Marcus' third album and this surely will put him on the British Blues Rock top-table for sure. I've long been a fan of his deep voice and know him to be a searing guitarist, but this record is where it all comes together. Backed by Saint Jude mate & bassist Scott Wiber, long time and much overlooked drummer Alex Reeves and with ol' mate Paddy Milner sitting in on Hammond, from the very opening of Alley Cat, this album has the place shakin'. Finally, a full, but still acoustic take on The Bittersweet is a great closer, but so many treats are to be found inbetween, not least of which, Blind Alley.

My Baby Don't Dance rocks while Cheap Whisky stomps; We All Do Bad Sometimes gets in your head and does interesting things.

Ah, what the heck - 11 cracking tracks that deserve to be heard - go one, treat yourself.
on 22 June 2013
Great title for a truly great album from the hugely talented and likeable Marcus Bonfanti. The 11 tracks generate such energy it really can shake your walls played loud enough. It is has such a vibrancy it sounds as though Marcus and the band had a real blast making the album and it captures the high octane atmosphere of the dude's live performance.

How rare too to have a traditional album where less is more, 11 tracks clocking in at just on 40 minutes. No stretched solos and noodling around here, lay it down, crank it up and get out, job done! It's a proper album, linked together perfectly.

Alley Cat sets the tone for the whole album, a classic opener, hammer punches from the off with some heavy duty fuzz laden riffs and Bonfanti's unique raspy vocal wrapped around it, terrific. Followed up immediately with the infectious groove of Cheap Whisky, excellent narrative to the lyrics. Jezebel at track 5 is pure genius, Bonfanti excelling on the Harmonica and the whole band laying down a groove that I defy anyone not to want to move to. Another perfect segue as Jezebel grooves into Stone Me Sober, monster riffing, heavy rhythm section and cool keys.
On the superb My Baby Don't Dance I pick vibes of Bluesy Rolling Stones, tremendous hooks a la Richards, this one will grab hold of you and refuse to let go.
Bonfanti shows his versatility on this album too, with the country hewn vibe of Blind Alley, excellent squally fretwork and that down in the boots vocal combining to stunning effect. Weaved within the album are a couple of slower paced tracks both of which are excellent and draw you in to Bonfanti's great talent to tell a story within a song. We All Do Bad Sometimes and the even better Honey, where Paddy Milner delivers some excellent runs up and down his Hammond.
If I had to pick a favourite track it would be penultimate track, Bang of a Gun, this is a real ripper, staccato, driving hooks bludgeoning throughout. Bonfanti at his most aggressive.As close to a classic rock sound as I have heard from Bonfanti and Planet Rock should pick this one up and plug it like crazy!
Album number 3 from Marcus and his strongest to-date and one that deserves to sell by the bucket load.
Praise to his band mates, Wiber, Reeves and Milner, superb musicians in their own right but here providing a rock solid foundation for this very very talented young man to take the spotlight and shine.
No difficult third album syndrome here, just a riot of an album that will have you begging to search out when the dude is playing at a venue near you!
Shake the Walls must be a contender for Blues album of 2013, it is that good.
1212 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2013
Well, after three listens, I can't fault this album. Country/folk/blues at its best.

My only 'if' is that it's a little restrained, I find myself waiting for the big drum sounds and guitar solos at some points. I like the 'BIG' sound sometimes.

But that is a minor and personal taste point, this is a finely crafted, superbly played, album. All original tracks ('Honey' is to die for, as is 'Bittersweet'). Great entertainment, can't wait to see this guy live.

I'll give it five.
on 11 August 2013
Other self promoting blues guitarists, or at least one in particular, grab the blues headlines but this guy is up there with him. Another good album with varying styles of blues from a much under rated singer/ guitsrist. He goes from the heavier stuff such as Alley Cat and Cheap whisky to the more acoustic style of The Bittersweet and the Country Blues of Blind Alley. Well worth a listen ..
on 22 June 2013
I first met Marcus at Jazz Cafe after seeing him at Glastonbury, he has since performed twice at my annual Charity Gig and has become a great friend of my family. This is an amazing Album honed by a year on the road and showing how far his songwriting and Guitar playing have advanced.
As someone that grew up in the seventies listening to Page,Beck,Trower,Blackmore and Gary Moore I have finally found a modern day Guitarist to excite me like they did as a young man, whether you are old or young Marcus's Albums should be part of your collection and his gigs should be in your diary,I have seen him three times this year,once on a Solo Acoustic Tour a,once at my Charity Gig and last night at The Borderline where he blew the roof off the place and made many new fans I am sure.
Get out and buy this Album,see him Live before he headlines larger arenas as I am sure he will,a true Guitar Legend in the making and a really sweet guy.
on 5 July 2013
Having bought "What Good Am I to You", off we went to the Borderline gig on June 21. It was amazing and got some excellent pics.
Love this album too with the mix of fast & slower songs, the Hammond organ and the brilliant bass and drums.
See Marcus Bonfanti live if you can..........That voice........