on 16 August 2015
I've had this camera for a few months now, and I love it. I bought the twin lens kit option. The camera feels very comfortable to hold and sturdy too. The menu and controls are very easy and intuitive to use. It's my first SLR type camera and after playing with the exposure settings (I spent the first few weeks only using Manual mode), I've been very happy with the results. I have found when using the 18-55mm lens that images benefit from post processing for lens correction and custom sharpening in Photoshop, which makes the results very satisfactory. Generally, I find with the 50-200mm lens that no post processing is required and that images have a really nice warmth - it seems great for family portraits.

The twin lens kit seems a great package, and since buying this camera have bought a Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens - and this is the lens I use the most now - a really great match with this camera producing pin sharp images when compared with the two lenses that came with this kit,

I can't say how this camera compares with others, but aside from the post processing I feel I have to do when using the 18-55mm lens, I find it just about perfect.
on 7 February 2015
This is an excellent camera. I already own a Pentax KX, but wanted a waterproof one, like the Pentax K50 which also has lots of additional features like a bigger screen, full HD capability, choice of two power sources, etc... Of course, since I am in my eighties, I am still busy going with a fine comb through the Manual, which I downloaded and printed out a larger format. I am enjoying the challenge with so many features.
on 25 March 2015
Very good entry level camera to the DSLR world ! very pleased with purchase and already purchasing new lens & accessories only slight negative is battery life which isn't the best but easily resolved with additional battery packs and D-BH109 AA adapter comes highly recommended.
on 21 March 2017
The only camera under £500 that I can take out in all weathers. I have DSLR Canon 5D and Mirror less Fujifilm X-Pro1, but this little beauty allows me to still keep shooting when the rain and snow comes. Considering I live in West Coast Scotland, this winter it has been needed. Been out for about 4 hours so far with no issues. make sure you get the lens hoods for the lenses, or you will get water on the front element, which would effect your shots. I have got some nice storm shots, which I would not have got and the sensor is actually ok. Not seen full potential so far, as the two kit lenses are all I have from Pentax and these are not the best, can't compline though as they are virtually free. I have an old manual/film lens from my Pentax MX (50mm f1.7) which fits directly, not adaptors, going to be trying this when the rain stops at some stage in the future.
on 12 July 2015
This is a great Camera kit and I managed to buy it when the price was really good plus I have sent off the docs for a £40 cash back from Pentax. As a complete ameteaur photographer, into around my 4th or 5th week with the camera, I am already taking some great shots. It is very easy to use and has plenty of really useful features particularly for beginners. I am trying to avoid as much as possible the autoshoot where it does absolutely everything in setting up the shot automatically because if I was going to do that I only needed a point and shoot camera. Exploring all the other options is great fun and a massive learning curve. If you are new, like me, to DSLR photography and you want to learn to do it properly you wont go wrong with this camera.
on 26 April 2017
Bought to replace ageing K100D. Very satisfied. Full set of features and hugely improved battery life (an issue with the K100D). No problems encountered so far.
Great camera, has so much to offer for its price range, and so many options for a beggined/medium range camera.
on 12 July 2017
Extremely good camera for the money. Recommended.
on 14 September 2017
Everything that came out of the box was first class, but the box itself looked old and worn.
on 16 March 2016
Wanted one of these for months, and bought the dual-lens kit, to replace a borrowed DSLR.

Best of all, I've shot with Pentax for more than 30 years and my gadget-bag full of lenses have a new lease of life.

A touch heavy for its size, but that's down to the pentaprism viewfinder (the best in its class) and weather-sealing (unique at this level).

If any noobs ask you, "Canon or Nikon," show them what a real camera looks like (video may not be up to much, but anyone wasting a DSLR on video should be boiled in oil anyway).