Style: DAL 18-55 mm WR Lens Kit|Colour: Black|Change

on 16 August 2015
I've had this camera for a few months now, and I love it. I bought the twin lens kit option. The camera feels very comfortable to hold and sturdy too. The menu and controls are very easy and intuitive to use. It's my first SLR type camera and after playing with the exposure settings (I spent the first few weeks only using Manual mode), I've been very happy with the results. I have found when using the 18-55mm lens that images benefit from post processing for lens correction and custom sharpening in Photoshop, which makes the results very satisfactory. Generally, I find with the 50-200mm lens that no post processing is required and that images have a really nice warmth - it seems great for family portraits.

The twin lens kit seems a great package, and since buying this camera have bought a Pentax 50mm f/1.8 SMC DA Lens - and this is the lens I use the most now - a really great match with this camera producing pin sharp images when compared with the two lenses that came with this kit,

I can't say how this camera compares with others, but aside from the post processing I feel I have to do when using the 18-55mm lens, I find it just about perfect.
on 7 February 2015
This is an excellent camera. I already own a Pentax KX, but wanted a waterproof one, like the Pentax K50 which also has lots of additional features like a bigger screen, full HD capability, choice of two power sources, etc... Of course, since I am in my eighties, I am still busy going with a fine comb through the Manual, which I downloaded and printed out a larger format. I am enjoying the challenge with so many features.
on 25 March 2015
Very good entry level camera to the DSLR world ! very pleased with purchase and already purchasing new lens & accessories only slight negative is battery life which isn't the best but easily resolved with additional battery packs and D-BH109 AA adapter comes highly recommended.
on 12 July 2015
This is a great Camera kit and I managed to buy it when the price was really good plus I have sent off the docs for a £40 cash back from Pentax. As a complete ameteaur photographer, into around my 4th or 5th week with the camera, I am already taking some great shots. It is very easy to use and has plenty of really useful features particularly for beginners. I am trying to avoid as much as possible the autoshoot where it does absolutely everything in setting up the shot automatically because if I was going to do that I only needed a point and shoot camera. Exploring all the other options is great fun and a massive learning curve. If you are new, like me, to DSLR photography and you want to learn to do it properly you wont go wrong with this camera.
on 15 May 2017
Sadly I have to agree completely with the posting below from 14th January 2017. I purchased a K-50 just over two years ago, and it has been absolutely brilliant until a couple of months ago, when I started experiencing this problem with the aperture motor failing. At first it was just the occasional extremely underexposed single image when the camera had not been used for 10 minutes or so. In no time at all this has escalated into several such images, when the shutter has not been fired for maybe just one minute! I am now getting as may as a dozen extremely dark images, after a slightly longer period without use. The only answer currently is to fire all the time on motor drive, to be sure of getting the image you want! Eventually, and I suspect sooner rather than later, the aperture motor will die completely. The camera is virtually unusable at this time.

Surely this is not acceptable after only a couple of year's use?

I spoke with somebody on the technical advice number at Ricoh/Pentax a couple of weeks ago, only to be told that they had never heard of the problem before !!! That is frankly ridiculous, given the amount of information relating to this problem across the internet, not least of all on the Pentax Users Forum.

Sadly I also have to say - DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA !!!

Read on for the previous posting -

PENTAX K50 APERTURE MOTOR FAILURE - DO NOT BUY!!!!!!
By Mupp289 on 14 Jan. 2017
Style: DAL 18-55 mm WR Lens KitColour: Black Verified Purchase
BEWARE.....the Pentax K30 and K50 suffer from a pretty terminal aperture motor failure problem which Ricoh (Pentax) will not resolve once outside of the warranty period. I purchased a K50 two years ago and sure enough the dreaded problem has struck with Jessops quoting over £440 to repair.
I can purchase a new K50 body for £389 if I was stupid enough to buy another K50.

PURCHASE AT YOUR RISK.
on 21 March 2017
The only camera under £500 that I can take out in all weathers. I have DSLR Canon 5D and Mirror less Fujifilm X-Pro1, but this little beauty allows me to still keep shooting when the rain and snow comes. Considering I live in West Coast Scotland, this winter it has been needed. Been out for about 4 hours so far with no issues. make sure you get the lens hoods for the lenses, or you will get water on the front element, which would effect your shots. I have got some nice storm shots, which I would not have got and the sensor is actually ok. Not seen full potential so far, as the two kit lenses are all I have from Pentax and these are not the best, can't compline though as they are virtually free. I have an old manual/film lens from my Pentax MX (50mm f1.7) which fits directly, not adaptors, going to be trying this when the rain stops at some stage in the future.
on 26 April 2017
Bought to replace ageing K100D. Very satisfied. Full set of features and hugely improved battery life (an issue with the K100D). No problems encountered so far.
Great camera, has so much to offer for its price range, and so many options for a beggined/medium range camera.
on 16 March 2016
Wanted one of these for months, and bought the dual-lens kit, to replace a borrowed DSLR.

Best of all, I've shot with Pentax for more than 30 years and my gadget-bag full of lenses have a new lease of life.

A touch heavy for its size, but that's down to the pentaprism viewfinder (the best in its class) and weather-sealing (unique at this level).

If any noobs ask you, "Canon or Nikon," show them what a real camera looks like (video may not be up to much, but anyone wasting a DSLR on video should be boiled in oil anyway).
on 18 June 2014
I spent around 2 weeks trawling every review that I could find on the internet, comparing the Pentax K50 along with a Canon 700D and the Nikon d5300. It was such a struggle to make the final choice, all get excellent reviews, but the K50 won hands down. I bought the K50 in red with the 18-135 lens and am very impressed. Image quality is superb, and a viewfinder to die for. And colours are so true to life. Exposure has been spot on in a variety of daytime lighting conditions. At this price, this is just a brilliant piece of kit.