on 23 July 2016
This is one of the best horror films of all time & it's British.
I used to have this film on vhs many moons ago.
I still have nightmares after watching this movie.
You don't need gory murder scenes to be scared stiff & this fine movie proves that.
It's much better than the rubbish 1999 remake.
I'm looking forward to bring scared once again so I highly recommend this dvd☺ .
on 13 April 2014
A decent transfer to Blu-ray and in my opinion, one of the best horror films ever made. The cliche, 'less is more' certainly applies here. This film never fails to scare me and it’s the stuff that nightmares are made of. Brilliant!
on 2 September 2017
delighted with purchase and quick service
regards
Mike
on 13 July 2015
Set in an old mansion house this supernatural epic chills to the bone.
review image
on 12 April 2017
Probably the best ghost film ever made. Forget modern special effects - this is all done with sound and suggestion.
on 14 July 2017
Have loved this film for years . Great to have my own copy
on 28 April 2017
Great oldie horror movie
on 23 July 2014
One of the most disturbing films you'll ever see, and when the banging starts....!!!
What is it with this film? Every time I watch it it still manages to make my neck shiver with ice (similar to when you see Norman Bate's mother in that fruit cellar at the end of Psycho) through most of the film -- even though I know what is coming!...

Despite its age, this one of the most unsettling films of the paranormal (or any other) genre. The premise (four people spend the night in a haunted mansion) is as basic as it is timeless. The manner, though, in which (despite much of the dialogue and characters being more akin to traditional "black & white" horror -- in comparison to the more modern approaches being demonstrated by Hitchcock and Polanski at the time); the manner in which this film manages to shiver your timbers, is simply exceptional.

There isn't actually anything spectacular about the film (other than the mansion itself -- which is soaked in creaky Gothic atmosphere). The scares are achieved with basic sounds and camera and lighting tricks (and some good acting to promote the terror they are feeling). The feeling of malice from the house, though, is unnerving and very creepy -- you do not know what it is going to throw at them next.

I can't really say much more without giving some of the scares away. Just watch it! This is a film that achieves so much, using far fewer effects, than directors today (with all their gadgets) can really dream of. I've watched it several times now, and it still manages to leave me cold! (In a good way.) It is one of a handful of films (Psycho, The Wicker Man) that can do this.

Notes on this DVD. There aren't much extras (only a cast commentary -- which is fascinating -- and a trailer) and on my copy, the sound seemed very quiet (I had to put it on full volume and even then I struggled at some points to hear what they were saying). It may be a faulty DVD, anyway I got around the problem by putting my headphones in, and it was loud enough then.
on 8 April 2015
Excellent, far better and more spooky than the poor remake. Well acted and very atmospheric