Format: DVD|Change

on 4 December 2003
The little mermaid is my favourite disney film, and in my opinion one of the best disney films. Although i think that all disney films are all brilliant and loveable, the little mermaid is by far the strongest. The storyline, the characters, the songs, and the animation are all extremely strong. the film does not have ANY weak points. With most disney films you will get great storylines, but it will lack strong characters or good songs. The little mermaid stays strong in all aspects. Brilliant memoirable, loveable, 'real' characters like sebastian. Extremely strong songs(all of them!!!) how could you ever forget 'under the sea', 'kiss the girl' or 'part of your world'...there is not one rubbish song.
And the one of little mermaids strongest points for me is the animation, even before the digitally remastered version came out the animation was incredible. How the light dances on the sea bed...
The film is a masterpiece. It is beautiful, funny, and makes you feel all soft inside. I am 19 years old, and this is my favourite film EVER!!!!! and now after letting my nieces watch it is their favourite as well. They've worn out my tape!!!
For me, it is by far the best disney film ever made. watch it and i promise you will love it.
on 15 March 2016
Watching "The Little Mermaid," I began to feel that the magic of animation had been restored to us. After the early years of Walt Disney's pathfinding feature-length cartoons, we entered into a long, dark age in which frame-by-frame animation was too expensive, and even the great Disney animation team began using shortcuts. Now computers have taken the busywork out of the high-priced hands of humans, who are free to realize even the most elaborate flights of imagination. And that's certainly what they do in this film.

The movie opens far beneath the sea, where the god Triton rules over his underwater kingdom. All obey his commands - except for his daughter, Ariel, a mermaid who dreams of far-off lands. One day Ariel makes a forbidden visit to the surface of the sea, and there for the first time she sees a human: a handsome, young prince. He hears her singing, and falls in love with her voice. Triton is angry at Ariel's disobedi ence, but she can think of nothing but the prince, and eventually she strikes an unwise bargain with the evil Ursula, an octopus who can disguise herself in many different forms. Ursula will take away Ariel's tail and give her human legs so she can follow the prince on to the land, but if the prince doesn't kiss her within two days, she will have to give her haunting singing voice to the octopus.

Two key elements in the storytelling make "The Little Mermaid" stand apart from lesser recent animated work.

One is that Ariel is a fully realized female character who thinks and acts independently, even rebelliously, instead of hanging around passively while the fates decide her destiny. Because she's smart and thinks for herself, we have sympathy for her scheming.

The second element involves the plot itself: It's tricky and clever, and involves some suspense as Ariel loses her voice and very nearly loses her prince to the diabolical Ursula (who assumes the form of a femme fatale and hijacks Ariel's beautiful voice).

As the plot thickens and the melodrama unwinds, the animators introduce a gallery of new characters who are instantly engaging. Ariel is accompanied most places, for example, by Sebastian, a crab with extraordinary wisdom, and by Flounder, a fish who cannot always be counted upon. They provide comic relief, especially in a sequence that mixes comedy and danger in the best Disney tradition, as Sebastian finds himself captured by a French chef who attempts to cook and serve the little blighter.

What's best about "The Little Mermaid" is the visual invention with which the adventures are drawn. There is a lightness and a freedom about the settings - from Triton's underwater throne room to storms at sea to Ursula's garden of captured souls (they look a little like the tourists buried in Farmer Vincent's back yard in "Motel Hell"). The colors are bright, the water sparkles with reflected light, and there is the sense that not a single frame has been compromised because of the cost of animation.

The songs are good, too. "The Little Mermaid" contains some of the best Disney music since the glory days. My favorite song is a laid-back reggae number named "Under the Sea," sung by Samuel E. Wright in such a splendid blend of animation and music.
on 10 July 2016
I am a huge fan of disney's animated film as this has to be one of the best classical films in my collection. I still remember the film when I was young and the only difference is that this one being digitally restored and remastered happens to have much brighter colours and very sharp sound. The music as in all classical disney films created especially for children is alway very catchy and so easy to remember. This one is a diamond edition which means that as well as the film itself, there are a few extra features such as how the story was developed by disney, deleted scenes and alternative ending that could be of interest to fans of disney animation. There is 1 disc that contains them all but if you want a little more, including interactive games, it is best that you buy the special platinium 2-disc edition, that is available is buy new on Amazon. This one I got works well and the few bonus features are interesting and I enjoyed watching this film very much.
on 3 January 2014
I was so happy to get this for so cheap during the black friday deals. I was worried such an old movie in high definition may look a bit bad and spoil it for me but it's just excellent it hasn't lost its magical appeal at all. I would recommend it as a Disney Princess Classic.
on 2 September 2013
The little mermaid is a great film. I'm 26 and bringing back some old memories. This is such a great film. Even better on blu-ray.
The picture is clear and bright colours. The audio is clear and sounds good.
Overall a worthy upgrade to blu-ray.
I love it.
on 15 December 2013
The Little Mermaid was my favourite Disney film as a child, and I still have the old VHS tape from that time. Sadly, no video recorder to play it on. So, I have patiently waited for Disney to release the film again on DVD and they finally have. I was worried I might not find it as good, watching it again as an adult, but it's still great. The story seems a little more simplistic to me now, but the quality animation, strong characters and brilliant songs mean that isn't important. I just enjoyed going for the ride. The new DVD version seems exactly the same as the VHS copy I used to watch, so nothing edited out (which does happen with some re-issues). And, there are DVD extras an adult fan might enjoy (but I don't think a child would get much out of them, it's serious 'making of' type stuff). Definitely worth getting.
on 4 July 2008
Hans Christian Anderson would be proud of this magical transformation onto celluloid of one of Disney's finest animation tales.....Ariel wants to see what goes on above sea level against her father's (King Tritan) wishes....she does a deal with Ursula the Sea Witch that could mean the end for her whole underworld kingdom despite being guided by her two underwater friends Sebastion her reggae singing crab friend and Flounder her devoted fish sidekick.....This 2 disc special edition is a real improvement on the older grainy 1 disc version as the colours are cleaner and brighter....On the Audio the sound is improved with Disney's new enhanced mix which surrounds the room on any home cinema surround set-up with great bass depth and clarity....Listen to the hit songs "Under The Sea" and "Kiss the Girl" with a more cinema like surround.....The extra's are many but one of the most touching is the animated short of "The Little Match Girl" this is a real winner.....You will not be disappointed by this fantastic 2 disc Special Edition as it is come very Highly Recommended....enjoy!
on 1 June 2015
Good as described. Perfect and sealed. Beautiful. And also wonderful service from the seller with a personal touch of a note and a sweet treat attached which was nice lovely gesture. Eaten while watching ;) If only more online transactions were this professional, courteous and hassle free. Safe seller and goods. HIGHLY recommended! Thank you! :))
on 3 December 2006
Love this film!!!!

I loved it when I was younger, wore out my video & had to have it replaced, ha ha ha. I'm now 24 & wanted it for my 3 yr old daughter... I waited very impatiently for November when it was re released, I had it ordered ready so I received it straight away on the day it was released.

I am happy to say that my children love it!! yes, my 4 yr old son loves it too. A Brilliant film that will be loved by generations forever!
on 25 October 2008
joint with Lion King as being the best Disney film ever and another one of my favourite films of all time.
the animation is breathtaking and shows us the greatest set of characters ever.
Arial is the definitive Disney princess...who actually fights for what she believes in and remains a truely beautiful Disney creation.
Sabastean = the most hilarious Disney character after Robin Williams Genie in Aladdin.
Ursula is neck in neck with Sleeping Beauty's Melefacent as the ultimate Disney villain.
a remarkable film and Disney at its most epic and beautiful best that in turn marked a new golden age of Disney animation.
the astonishing Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, and (my fave)The Lion King followed this masterpiece.
simply amazing