on 12 March 2013
`Writing a Killer Thriller' is a little gem, crammed with excellent info on writing a thriller novel!
The advice is laid out in an easily skimmable format, with subheadings and lists.
Even published thriller writers may find this short book very useful for ideas to add tension, intrigue and suspense to their novels! The author specializes in editing thrillers, and definitely seems to know her stuff!
on 7 March 2016
This book is amazing not just for people who want to learn how to write thrillers, but for anyone who wants to learn the craft of writing. And the author does not stop there! Just when you think she has finished covering all areas of writing, there is a glossary right the end which lists alot of commonly used story terms and definitions. Many authors would shy away from doing that since they are scared of competition but Jodie Renner is someone who actually wants to help. Thanks!
on 16 August 2013
A small, dinky toolkit that offers aspiring thriller writers - and any kind of writer looking to add flex, tension and muscle to their prose - a road map to follow during the genesis of a piece of writing.
on 16 December 2014
Jodie Renner's Writing a Thriller Killer is a gem of a book, packed with excellent advice for making your stories and novels as exciting and suspense-filled as possible. It is well-laid out, and the points made are reinforced with good examples. Although primarily aimed at thriller and mystery writers, I think this book would suit any author who wants to write good, compelling stories, and is suitable for both beginners and more experienced writers.
I have already recommended this book to author friends and bought one of Jodie Renner's other guides.
on 12 March 2013
Jodie Renner is a terrific editor, one that I trusted with my last three novels. And her advice columns are so good, I print and save them all. For thriller authors, this will be the best money you ever spend.
--L.J. Sellers, bestselling author of provocative mysteries & thrillers
Another book that I picked up through Facebook/Twitter. I am still reading it as it is one of those books that you can pick up and down at any time. I have found the sensible tips very informative and will act on many of them. Well done Ms Renner.
on 3 March 2013
Writing fiction is such an intimate, personal experience that it would be impossible for an author to do it successfully by following a template. It's not like cooking; you don't just buy a book of recipes and get to work.

That said, there is no question a satisfying thriller must contain certain elements. Jodie Renner has de-mystified the process of thriller-writing with WRITING A KILLER THRILLER. This little booklet is packed full of information which is not just useful, but critical to the success of any thriller writer, whether just starting out or a veteran of many books.

WRITING A KILLER THRILLER proceeds logically, starting out with what might seem obvious at first glance but really is not - explaining the difference between a mystery and a thriller. The booklet then addresses issues critical to the success of your thriller, like the importance of conflict, how to heighten suspense, and techniques to use which will keep readers compulsively turning the pages.

I've worked with Jodie in the past, she helped me transform THE LONELY MILE from a good book to a "gripping and unnerving" Amazon bestseller, and I look forward to working with her again. But if you want to avail yourself of the knowledge of one of the best freelance thriller editors in the business, you couldn't ask for a better deal than WRITING A KILLER THRILLER, especially for such short money.
on 29 August 2015
I have to tell you that Jodie's book, Writing A Killer Thriller, has completely and utterly shaped my thriller writing. And I can see PROOF of this in the beta reader feedback of my first novel soon to be published: The Grotto's Secret. The exact techniques Jodie teaches in this book are coming up trumps with comments from my beta readers. For example, they loved my ‘jump cuts’ and leaving them hanging (and worrying) by going off into another character’s head straight after a cliff hanger ~ again something Jodie teaches you to do.

One reader quoted today that it was exciting and exhilarating bouncing between my characters, their timelines (one medieval, one modern day) as well as jumping back to each of their baddies.

As well as these tips, Jodie goes through the different ways you can structure your story plot and how to bring your characters to life on the page.

The chapters that I found fantastic and extremely helpful to a new novelist were the chapters on how to build tension and suspense. They have a big emphasis on foreshadowing to keep your reader's nose buried in your book. Isn't that all aspiring authors want?!

Twists, delays, withholding information, teasing and stretching the suspense is all vital parts of a thriller and Jodie makes it look so simple. And it is, with Jodie's book beside me, I wrote my historical conspiracy thriller which will be published soon - I can't wait to see more reader reactions.

I have lots of post it notes sticking out of Writing A Killer Thriller and I often jump to them for guidance and reminders. Definitely one of the best writing resource books on my bookshelf!
on 21 September 2014
Jodie Renner's book is a must-have for the thriller writer - well laid-out, easy to follow and needle sharp on every point she makes. I'm just halfway through this, but it has already given me some major help with a thriller which had hit a brick wall, and now I'm off and running again. I had just thrown out an old, out-dated guide by another author, which was too wordy, poor on layout and headings when I spotted this, and have not regretted the purchase. Buy it now.
on 18 March 2013
I've got a suspenseful mystery started and Amazon just emailed me to suggest this book. Perfect timing. This book is short and gets straight to the point with poignant tips, lots of subheadings and lists galore. It gives great info on creating interesting characters and adding intrigue. I'll be keeping this book nearby as I plan out my story.