Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Christmas with Elvis Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Abandoned Child
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.74

I am glad to say I downloaded this when it was on free offer. Not read any from this author before but only read about 15% and gave up on it.

Sorry to say I will not be reading any more from this author.
on 18 January 2014
Have to say .I'm disappointed in this book ..... I have loved all this author s books.but unfortunately not this one .I felt the story line was poor and so was the ending sorry !!!!!!
on 30 October 2014
We had the misfortune to pick this for our book club and all of us, without exception, gave up on it as the story was so cringey, the characters so un-likeable and the writing so poor.
on 2 July 2015
Didn't know if I was going to enjoy this, as its not the sort of book I normally read. but I did enjoy it very much.
on 21 September 2017
Took a bit of getting into but was worth it,some lovely characters and set in the eighties 4 stars for this
on 6 May 2016
Great
on 31 January 2016
Another very enjoyable read!
on 7 August 2014
Really pleased Thank you
on 3 September 2014
Great read
on 1 January 2014
I won this book in a goodreads.com first reads giveaway to review. I hadn't read any of Kitty Neale's books before. The book started off really well, very easy to get into and the pace kept going and held your attention. Kitty Neale certainly has a gift for storytelling and there were plenty of happenings in the book to keep you interested. It was quite a good story but I felt it moved along too quickly. I don't like a lot of unnecessary detail or waffle but I felt this was skimming along and there wasn't quite enough descriptive detail. Too many coincidences too for it to be totally believable and for me to lose myself in the story. Some parts were a bit predictable and some things the reader found out 'what the reason was' too quickly; the scene should have been 'spun out' a bit more to create more suspense, then reveal later, without dragging it out too long. It's just about getting the timing right. I can see from other reviews that some fans of Kitty Neale have said that this perhaps wasn't her best so maybe it's that she is contracted to write a certain amount of books in a certain amount of time and she's had to rush this one out. It must be difficult for bestselling authors to keep to the same standard of all their blockbuster novels, pressure on them to deliver etc. Don't get me wrong, it was still a very pleasant and easy to read story, it just wasn't amazing. I didn't think that the choice of title particularly fitted the book. It gave the wrong idea about the content. 'Neglected' would have been more like it. The cover also didn't reflect the book, it seemed a bit old-fashioned which could deter potential readers. The child on the photo again bore no resemblance to the dark-haired Penny in the book. I felt the book was kind of like a tamed-down Martina Cole and Catherine Cookson mixed together. Two great authors though, so that is a complement to a certain extent. For the subject matter, I felt the language seemed toned down, as if the author was constantly trying to hold back. Although I don't like a lot of swearing for swearing's sake, again, you have to draw a fine line for realism without going over the top. Although I have read many of Catherine Cookson's books I do feel they are a bit dated now and I did feel like I was reading Catherine Cookson when I was reading this book and I do feel it may not be quite up-to -date enough for some readers. Would I read any more of Kitty Neale's books? Yes I would because this did have a lot of potential and I did enjoy it somewhat, I just feel it could have been so much better.