on 17 April 2014
I struggled to figure out the target audience for this book as I'm sure it's meant for an adult reader but in my opinion is really a young adult book as the writing isn't quite sophisticated enough for the adult market. This said it's an engaging story that flows well.

There's a handful of errors that need ironing out, often sentences with words missing and some punctuation issues. I did find the overuse of the word 'loomed' annoying and the use of 'span' which is a measurement of distance instead of 'spun'. But the word that annoyed the heck out of me was the none-word 'gotten' which does not exist in English language usage, the past participle of get is got, the use of this often American English word is popping up far too often with new writers. I'm surprised the author's writing group didn't point this out to him as he credits them with help and advice.

I liked the characterisation within the book and the author's ability to keep the dialogue fresh and the thread of the story intact, however I did think chapter one was a non entity as it gave us information that was not relevant to the actual story and set up a different story that went nowhere.

I did feel let down by the last chapter as the story seemed to end abruptly, it was almost one of those, 'he woke up and it was all a dream' endings.

On the whole I did like this book, but marked it down from four stars to three for the use of the word 'gotten'.
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 June 2016

on 28 September 2015
I really enjoyed this book, it is a long time since I read a comic fantasy novel of this type and it made a refreshing change. The story was quite original (and very funny) and I thought that the characters were very well developed.
It was fun to have (effectively) vampires and zombies as adversaries and they, together with the 'mad professor/inventor' provided some really entertaining situations. I did however think that the ending was not as strong as the rest of the book.
Overall this book provides a very entertaining read and will keep you absorbed throughout. I have awarded it 4 stars rather than 5 as, although it is good, it doesn't achieve the standard of the discworld books which set the benchmark for this genre.
on 3 April 2014
After the first confusing chapter that seems to have little to do with the rest of the story, this settles into a cross between Terry Pratchett and the Brentford Chronicles.

After some scene setting and a rocket trip to somewhere no one wants to go called Bytarend (geddit?), this degenerates into a series of conflicts between super-powered beings and our heroes who are armed with bizarre variations of medieval weaponry.

I found that I was scanning as I got 2/3 through.

There's better stuff around but I guess it's free.
on 4 May 2015
I loved this book. It is a great story with flawed characters trying to do what is best or right in the face of adversity. The sheer bloodimindedness of Osric and Tondbert is enough to make you laugh and root for them. Great comedy fantasy. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to take a pinch of humour with their fantasy.
on 30 September 2014
I actually cant believe how much I enjoyed this book. At first I though that it would be too much fantasy for me but after the first few chapters I was intrigued with the story line. Further in I did laugh out load and downloaded booked 2 straight after.
I received booked 1 free through Kindle but it was a book that made me want more. Even if after reading the description you feel this is not your type of book (like I did), give it a go i think it will surprise you.
on 4 November 2014
Wasn't sure what to expect from this book,but after reading only a page or two,I knew that I was in for a great read. Great characters,and well thought out situations,and I thought the names of the characters were very cleverly devised.This book was very funny from beginning to end,kept me amused the whole time I was reading it.Reminded me very much of Terry Pratchett's style.Thoroughly enjoyed this book.Well done,Simon Cantan.
on 10 June 2014
A different book along the lines of Terry Pratchett -whose stories I love reading anyway- but the dry sense of humour that runs throughout the tail I really enjoyed. It's great getting free books on kindle as it allows you to discover new author's that you might not have tried otherwise. I will certainly be reading the rest of the Bytarend stories.
on 23 May 2014
When I first started reading this book I just didn't know what on earth it was about. I had to re-read the description to make sure I hadn't downloaded the wrong book. However, I stuck with it and after a couple of chapters I just loved it. It isn't the sort of book I would usually choose but it is funny and I really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants a book which is a bit different from the norm.
on 19 April 2014
I could be very superior and say that this is sub-Pratchett, takes a while to get going and requires a considerable suspension of disbelief at times. All of which would be true, but that wouldn't get to the gist which is that this is a fun story with some intriguing characters. I can guarantee that you will be entertained, which is what it is all about really, isn't it?