Style: Cloud Router|Change

VINE VOICEon 13 August 2014
This router is well reviewed in the technical press regarding speeds and technical capability, so there are no concerns on that score. My personal experience matches this - good speed and long ranges. But these facts leave you with a decent range of routers to choose from. So why this one?

I chose this because it is a good price compared to most dual-band AC1750 routers (the fastest current standard) and the Amazon picture made it look like it would not be an eyesore in the corner of my living room. And it really isn't an eyesore. About the height of a Pringles can but slightly fatter, this is not going to look out of place on public display and is not going to draw the eye. It is by miles the neatest, tidiest looking router I have ever owned. If your router is likewise out in the open, I think you'll be very pleased with this model.

I will say the web interface could be better and clearer but the basics of connecting are easy to set up. However, though one could wish it would be better, it's probably no worse than any other brand of router I've used.

The one black mark, for which I have deducted a star, is that the router as supplied is not passworded. This is a very major security weakness for home users who rarely appreciate the importance of password protecting their router and is something increasingly being targetted by the bad guys. Again, D-Link are far from the only company to be this irresponsible about router security. If you buy this router, please add a strong admin password. Do this after initial setup however, or it messes with the setup wizard.
on 26 December 2016
No better than anything else.
Could not connect in bedroom only 8m away. (+chimney 1m of blockwork)
on 23 December 2013
As the time passed, too many 802.11n routers were appearing around my house and my old Belkin started to have problems in keeping the wifi connection.
This come to solve my problem. No more issues about it. The wifi connection is always on.
on 5 April 2017
I've had this over two years and it's performed flawlessly. Highly recommended.
on 9 May 2014
I had a TP-Link router which has worked fine for quite a few years and was more then adequate when I got it. The device has been reliable and rarely needed any attention. The main issues I was finding was that streaming video took a while to buffer before starting and it just didn't seem to be fast. As we now have a couple of devices that could use ac and 5ghz it was time for a change.

The main point for getting this model was the looks. Most of the specs are similar to other models but the cylindrical design makes it easier to position and you don't have any antennas on view. Setup was easy, unplug the leads on the old one and the unplug the power supply and then plug them into this device, plug it into the mains and switch on (it is nice to have an on/off switch).

On the PC open the browser and point it to the address in the instructions. You are then guided through the set-up process and at the end you have two SSIDs, one for 2.4ghz and another for 5.0ghz. I names the lower frequency the same as the old router and gave the 5.0 SSID something different.

So how does it perform? Over the wired network to devices like the Apple TV, Smart TV, Blu-Ray player and so on it was noticeably faster than the old one. Buffering was there for about a second compared to maybe 20 and the video started. On the old router my iPhone and iPads the download would generally be about 30gbs (next to the router) and that would trail off with distance and about 10-15m the signal would disappear. On the AC1750 I was getting 100mbs download when next to the router and at the far side of the house where the old signal was non-existent I was getting 60mbs download. The iPad 3 was about 50 next to the router and the same on the other side of the house. On the PC Speedtest had been giving 120mbs download but with this new router I was getting 155mbs.No need for repeaters now.

You are able to attach a USB 3 drive to it and it could be used as an iTunes server and file server too. I've not played with that but that could be useful if you are getting these sort of speeds.

Downsides? Only one but it applies all routers that I can see and that is they all see to have a light on them somewhere. It would be nice to be able to run them dark by having a switch that turns off the lights. The front has just two lights that aren't that bright but in a dark room you do notice them. The solution was some black adhesive plastic. The ports at the rear don't have lights so you don't get the constant flashing from them which is good.

So after a short period of use I'm very pleased with the ease of use and also the speeds compared to my old router.
on 23 October 2013
I switch to Fibre which came with the normal openreach fibre modem and my ISP's wireless router.We live in a three storey house and the wireless range on the router was terrible. It couldnt reach most of the 1st floor and wifi speeds anywhere but in the same room were awful.

I tried an Apple Airport Express. Whilst that was easy to use the range was only slightly better.

Finally I bought this little fella after reading good reviews on Amazon.com about it, several of which mentioned good range. Firstly, out of the box, its smaller than it looks, just a bit bigger than a can of soda. Its light and a bit plasticky however it does look different to the masses.

Setup was very easy. I used d-links ipad/iphone app which found the router. I entered my ISPs username and password and after a reboot off we went. (the unit came with the latest firmware). Well what can I say? Range is excellent. I'm getting my max fibre speed in the same room as the router and whilst that of course drops away the further I move I get full three storey coverage throughout the house. If I had to say anything its that the power cord is a touch short.

In summary, it has achieved exactly what I wanted it too and fully met expectations.
on 1 February 2014
Bought this to future proof the house but at the moment the tablet, TV, PC and phones are all wireless n. Easy to setup and all devices see each other. A Draytek Vigor 120 currently supplies our Broadband via an ADSL line splitter and all works well. Line speed about 2Mbs. Hopefully when I upgrade a device to AC everything will still work. All in all no complaints or problems.
on 31 July 2014
I am very happy with this purchase. Every month or so, SpeedTest reports ~15Mbps rather than the expected 50Mpbs. I just reboot the router from its webpage and I am back at full speed. (That doesn't mean it is the router that is the problem but I like having a quick fix). Other than that, I configured it once and it just works great.
I also have a WD MyCloud attached to it to share across my network (also a WD MyPassport Ultra daisy-chained from the MyCloud). Both work fine.
I have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi networks configured and all iPads and iPhones in the house connect quickly and work fast. Just tried my iPhone and got 48Mbs download and 19Mbs upload.
I believe the price has dropped so this is a real bargain.
on 8 March 2014
I've got a wired network in my home, but also have some devices which need WiFi. I've lived with a cheap wifi 802.11n box up to now. That''s attached to one of the network switches. We have around 20 devices attached to the network one way or another: Desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, TVs, game consoles and things.
I was increasingly finding that new client devices have capability for 802.11ac; meanwhile there are about ten networks on the 2.5GHz band around my home.
I thought I'd try this unit to take advantage of the less crowded 5GHz band. So I connected this thing up and it was all easy. I upgraded the security from WEP on my old WiFi box to WPK2 on this one; set up two SSIDs - one for 2.5GHz and the other for 5GHz and it all worked.
The 2.5GHz range is good. My house is built with solid brick walls, but the signal reaches all around the house albeit with significant attenuation when it goes up one floor and through a couple of walls to my son's bedroom. The 5GHz is slightly less powerful and I don't see the fancy range adapter gizmo working, where it is supposed to direct the 5GHz signal toward the client devices, rather than a spherical broadcast. Nevertheless, the 5GHz gets to most parts of the house and the lack of interference from other channels seems to help a bit with that.
To cut a long story short, I set it up and it just sits there working.
I dropped one star off the score due to the limitations on range and the size. It's a bit bigger than most WiFi boxes. But if you are in the market for this kind of capability it does the job.
on 9 January 2016
Previously purchased a TP-Link router and generally was rather happy however my Wireless kept dropping out. I use D-Link IP Cameras and this router appealed to me rather a lot.

After doing a little research I was not sure about this router but thought I'd give it a try based on Amazon reviews and videos on the Internet.

So far 1 week in it's been great. The web interface is so much easier to use than my TP Link router. The interface is so simple and reserving IPs is just a click away making is easier to use than any router I've ever had before. Which is my view is great for newbies who want to give something a try.

I use the D-Link MyLite app which is great when I'm out as my neighbour uses my internet if there is a problem I can fix it while I'm away from home.

You can see all the connected devices and view what they've been up to. The router also keeps an eye out for suspicious devices and you can get email alerts to let you know when people connect or fail to connect and when updates are available.

One great feature I find is the router has an update feature built in so a few clicks the firmware is up to date no downloading firmware to upload to find you've got the wrong firmware.

Only a week in but 10/10 so far. D-Link seem to know what there doing!