on 27 June 2014
I bought this because it was the most recently published Malta guide book at the time, and I therefore expected it to be the most up to date. Unfortunately I was very wrong as a lot of the detail is woefully outdated. For example, it notes that Valletta shuts down at night and that it is difficult o get dinner in the city - this couldn't be more wrong as there are lots of wonderful restaurants and cafes, with tables set up in many streets and live music all over the place.
This book is only useful as a very basic outline of tourist attractions but for details such as correct opening times and admission prices you need to check online.
Immensely disappointed that this was reprinted without having been properly updated. Will put me off buying another DK publication.
on 7 November 2013
We were very disappointed with this book. We even wondered whether the author has visited Malta recently, because of the factual inaccuracies. As an example, the 2013 edition refers to the beautiful old buses, but these had been replaced before our last visit, in 2011.

Any short guide will have its limitations, but we found the amount of duplication and lack of detail quite frustrating. In our opinion it would be better to buy a more detailed book, even if it is a little bigger. Alternatively, do your own research on the internet - it's what we did in the end, anyway.

Having always been fans of DK books, this one just isn't up to the usual standard.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 December 2014
A simple, easy to use and easy to carry guide to Malta and Gozo. The top 10 format is helpful when deciding what to do on a short trip - it doesn't have the sort of heavy detail that a guide such as Lonely Planet might, or get you 'off the beaten track' - but it doesn't need to. Most travellers do plenty of internet research these days. I get all my detail and up-to-the-minute information from the web, and a guidebook is then just to jog my memory and give me something to carry when I've not got internet access.

Like all books in this series, it is compact (fits easily in a handbag) and sturdy, with a thick glossy cover that survives a rainstorm and plenty of battering. The inside of both back and front covers feature fold out maps, which are tough enough to last a lot of unfolding and refolding and the odd shower. The front cover inside has a map of all three islands with the key places marked. The inside back cover has street maps of Valletta and the Three Cities, Sliema, and a map of bus routes on both islands.

A new addition from older versions of these books is the 'pull out guide' - a small fold out map stored in a pouch inside the back cover, which can be removed and carried with you if you want to travel really light and leave the guide behind. It's made of the same tough, glossy card as the cover, and features the same maps along with essential numbers, phrases and a selection of things to do (all map referenced).

The guide covers all three islands making up the country (Malta, Gozo and Comino), so whichever island you stay on you should find plenty of information. Many will visit all three as part of their trip anyway, as the distances are small and you can visit sites even at the opposite end of the other island in a day. As well as top 10s of things to see and do, it includes practical information such as transport, customs and safety, and a short phrasebook (although English is an official language and spoken very well by virtually everybody).

Some other reviews criticise the guide for not being completely up to date, which I agree with on certain aspects. But lets admit, no guidebook is ever completely up to date - by the time its published several months at least have usually elapsed. I don't know anyone now who would rely on a guidebook for that sort of information - that's not why people use guidebooks nowadays. These books provide what the modern, internet-connected user really wants from a paper guide - a nice layout, good maps, lots of colour photos, helpful advice. It doesn't rely on being plugged in or having enough battery, and it costs you nothing in roaming charges to read the contents. And if your internet research reveals a discrepancy in details, you can just biro them in!
on 10 October 2013
Treated myself to this in advance of holiday in Malta. Although I've been there before I wanted to educate myself a bit more on the history and places of interest to visit, eat etc etc. Really good guide-doesn't drone on, is precise but interesting and although I haven't read from cover to cover [am saving for the flight], I've already booked a trip up front after reading about one of the oldest underground discoveries in the world-something I knew nothing of previously. The book quality is very good and has extra bits-like a fold out portable map. Definately worth the money.
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Grand Master's Palace, Valletta
 Top 10 Outdoor Activities
 Top 10 Children's Activities
 Top 10 Restaurants
(This is some, not all)

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 20 June 2015
It's ok. But not very good in ebook version. Pictures and maps too small and information about the top 10 places too limited. No information about where to park for sights. In fact I might be being generous with 2 stars. There must be better guides available. I don't know what they are called though.
on 2 April 2015
This book follows the format of all of the other "Top 10" books in the series, so is easily fitted in the pocket with pull out maps and lots of colour. You may need a magnifying glass with the maps but at this price you cant go far wrong. DK seems to have cornered the market with this design of pocketable guide.
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2014
You can't fault these Eyewitness Guides - clear concise information, just what you need to know. Good maps, although the one for central Valletta could be a little bigger, and it's a neat pocket sized guide. Lovely pictures throughout. A model of its kind.
on 5 May 2014
I bought this for kindle as I will take my kindle on holiday so it means I will have the guidebook with me. It's informative and although I have visited Malta 3 times before, I have found new places in this book to visit!
on 7 November 2013
Just got back from Malta and found this book very helpful. Lots of good ideas for tours on foot.. Places to eat etc. It really helped us get the most of our hols. Will buy an eye witness guide again for next holiday.