Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Unlike the companion I Just Love A 60s Summer Party, this set spans the entire decade. As such, it contains a higher proportion of obvious tracks, but the still some obscurities that are worth a listen.

Beginning with Here comes summer (Jerry Keller), almost the entire first CD features famous recordings, though In Paradise (Cookies) is an excellent track that is rarely heard. Likewise, the second CD is also dominated by familiar sounds, but the occasdional less-heard tracks include Lonely island (Sam Cooke) and Once upon a summertime (Blossom Dearie).

Most of the obsucurities are to be found on the final CD. Even here, there are some obvious classics, but not many. The CD opens with Bobby Freeman's original version of Do you wanna dance? This song is mostly known in Britain via Cliff's cover hit, but it's nice to hear the original occasionally. Mellow music from the Drifters (Honey bee), Little Richard (By the light of the silvery moon) and Chuck Berry (Havana moon) provide a contrast with the rocking songs that they are mostly remembered for.

The many classics and the modest price will ensure that this collection sells in reasonable quantities, but the less obvious tracks will appeal to those who enjoy fifties obscurities.
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2014
The label will probably be new to you, as it was to me, but buy with confidence! Original Hits, and the sound is excellent! I'll spotlight three particular tracks. "Venus" sounds exactly like the Frankie Avalon selection from his "16 Greatest Hits" U.S. Lp I've owned for decades, and, yes, in stereo! How about "Til I Kissed You" by the Everly Brothers? Sounds precisely like the original Cadence single I own , only cleaner! ( Sure miss you, Phil Everly, thanks for the joy and the music). What about another dearly missed artist, the great Roy Orbison? "Blue Angel" sounds just like the same track on my old stereo two-lp set of his hits on the Monument label I have had since 1975. The three CD's in this set will be enjoyed thoroughly by yourself and if someone you know loves the sounds of the Fifties, or if you are planning a Fifties party, look no further. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 17 July 2015
Most enjoyable. I wish I had these DVDs when I was a teenager and could have used them for my birthday parties! I really enjoy these compilations of the music of my youth. I am also pleased that they are still available. Thank you all.
on 8 July 2016
GOT LOTS OF THE GOOD OLD TUNES
on 5 September 2014
good
on 16 December 2013
I DON'T KNOW AS I BOUGHT IT FOR A PRESENT FOR A RIEND. FOR XMAS.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT MORE TO SAY ?