Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

1,320
Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£14.87

on 29 January 2014
Neil Gaiman is a favourite author of mine. This delivers the expected myths and strangeness but with real human emotions. There is a deep sense of loss that starts the tale ad prevails throughout. Quite haunting.
on 4 July 2013
Like all of Gaiman's work, I absolutely loved this book. I pre-ordered it long before it was due to be released and it was well worth the wait. I will now have to wait impatiently again until his next piece of ingenious work is released.
I loved the characters, loved the plot, loved the style of writing, loved everything. 5 stars all the way!
on 1 August 2015
Well written, as are all Neil Gaiman's books, and very entertaining. Although possibly intended for a younger audience, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The plot had me hooked from the start. This is a lovely story with just enough fantasy to be almost believable. great for older children but good for grown up grandmothers like me too.
on 22 May 2015
Not finished yet, partly because some sections are so gruesome that I can only read it in small phases! However, it is a fascinating premise, and different from the vast majority of books I have read.
on 13 January 2014
The first kindle book I bought on Christmas Day after unwrapping a kindle Christmas present. I have read several Neil Gaiman books and enjoyed them all to varying degrees. This did not disappoint. The narrator is an adult reflecting back on a period in his life when he was seven years old and at the end of the book the past is linked to the present. Suffice to say events unfold with a magical/supernatural theme. The story had me hooked from the start with good characters and accomplished writing. The main character draws the reader into his story, into his world and there the reader remains feeling the highs, the lows and the sense of fear as the main character battles against a supernatural foe that takes over his world. A highly recommended read. Neil Gaiman continues to be one of my favourite authors - need I say more?
on 10 January 2014
I was flicking through the Amazon's best books of 2013 and saw this book cover. I didn't have much time and was rushing before leaving for holiday and so bought it without really knowing what it was about. The start of the book didn't suggest anything of fantasy etc and so the switch caught me a little off guard.

Having now read the whole book - late nights when I should have been sleeping! - I absolutely loved it.

The author has a really great way of writing; intelligent and imaginative but also easy to read and light. The story was good aswell

As books take up space in the house I tend to read them on my Kindle and then I buy a second hard copy of the ones I really like and want to add to our collection. I bought this one in hard copy and I would do the same if I were you :)
on 28 October 2013
As with all the David Gaiman I've read, a compelling, involving story. however I particularly liked the fairytale/nightmare quality and the feeling of the fleeting passing of time for the narrator compared to the without-time quality of the world at the end of the lane.
on 27 March 2015
I wouldn't know how best to describe this book or which genre to class it as, a modern fairy tale is the closest I can think of.
A thoroughly compelling and thoughtful read and one I will come back to again
on 25 July 2013
Wow.
I love this book.
His writing in this book somehow manages to reach in and evoke childhood memories and memories of half forgotten feelings and dreams even.

That is the sign of a skilled writer - to be able to involve the reader. Truly involve them - not just mentally and emotionally but by way of direct access to the soul or 'id' or subconscious (or whatever you want to call that nebulous something that goes beyond everyday experience).

I enjoy the way the dreamlike yet deeply 'truthful' experiences are expressed in this book. They are at once 'fantasy' and true reflection of reality. Remarkable.

(As an example of what I mean: Hayao Miyazaki evokes similar in some of his films - that delicious fantasy that speaks direct to something deeply honest/truthful about the core of human experience)
on 26 January 2014
This a great novella length story, appropriate for young adults also.

Neil Gaiman is able to throw the dark, menacing and apocalyptic in with the local corner shop keeper and cat next door. Loved him since I first read Neverwhere.

A story that made me smile with plenty left to the imagination.