on 19 January 2018
I enjoyed the book, however not as much as I had expected. Too much gossip and general topics but not any real "meaty bits" to excite. Sir Alex has made an effort to portray himself as an "angel" and according to his story the notorious happenings never really occurred. He also seemed to convey that many of the controversial decisions/events that took place where not of his making.
I am still glad that I read it as I was (and am) a great fan of the man, he is sorely missed both by Manchester United and the football world as a whole.
on 7 November 2017
Thought I'm not a United fan, I'm a huge fan of Alex Ferguson and I've been wanting to read this book for some time. However, I didn't feel gripped or inspired in the same way as when reading other autobiographies, it seemed rather wishy-washy and it's quite a short read. One of the major annoyances was the hopping around through time, one minute talking about 1995, then 2011, then 1997 and then about how we was 17 years old and in a Scottish pub. This would have been so much better if each chapter looked at one particular event or year, and I'm rather disappointed because he's so well respected in sport, politics, history and business - but I didn't feel this came across. *I had the audiobook, and I did find myself pronouncing certain words in a Scottish accent thanks to the narrator (who sounds a lot like James McAvoy).
on 21 November 2013
....if you have ever wondered what it might be like to actually be in Sir AF head then have a read of this.

As a piece of literature it jumps around all over the place and you have to re read often just to understand how he has suddenly jumped from one topic to another without explanation or reason, but if what you are is someone who wants to know how he ticks then I cannot recommend this book enough.

I would have loved him to develop further some of his thoughts on the tactics of his sides but there is plenty still there to think about. I particularly liked his thoughts about Footballers learning Chess, but the best thought is left till last.....

"some people, when they have a holiday, just want to go to Salcoats (Google it you'll see what he means!!)....some people don't even want to do that. They're happy to stay at home or watch the birds and the ducks float by in the park. And some want to go to the moon. It's about people's ambitions"

Well he shot for the Moon and got there

Great read.
on 11 June 2014
Only half way through this book (Kindle version) so can not give a full review.
However, what I have encountered so far is much of the same from Managing My Life; Auto Biography.
I Love SAF, I'm a massive fan and he's my hero also having the pleasure of meeting him in person several times.
He's incredibly deep when engaged in conversation; a kind gentleman and very unselfish.
Someone with true respectable values that in today's modern world is sadly missing from many younger generations (I'm mid 40's) where true role models are scarce and hard to find.
I suppose I'll never see the ultimate book where SAF writes about his life where it's his expressions, decisions and thoughts on not just football but his life, family and current affairs as he is exceptionally witty, intelligent and warm.
oh well.......
on 7 November 2013
The press hype surrounding the pre-launch of this book centred mainly on the expected controversial outpourings in relation to key personalities with whom Alex Ferguson interacted, especially during his United years.

On the basis of this, it could be construed that taken at face value this might suggest a sole reason for purchasing the book. However in reality, on reading it, I found it to be a blunt account of different facets of Alex Ferguson's life, which also provided coherent explanations as to why he chose to make certain decisions, especially in a managerial capacity.

Some may not agree with some of the things that he says or decisions he has made, but the important point is that the outcome for the reader is an honest portrayal of life as a football manager from his own viewpoint, which results in what I, personally, found to be a thoroughly fascinating read.
on 18 February 2016
As an Arsenal fan, I was fully prepared for Fergie's autobiography to further enhance my notion of him being an entitled bully who got all of the decisions going his way through intimidation and sheer brutish force.

This book, while not necessarily dispersing with these judgements, certainly opened my eyes to the various sides of an incredibly strong, diligent and intelligent man. It's very well written and covers a lot of subjects that have been left open to public interpretation for years, such as the sale of Jaap Stam after his autobiography was published, the Wenger/Mourinho years and the infamous hairdryer incident.

The Roy Keane saga is explained in great detail, which was particularly interesting, and I really enjoyed the tenderness with which he fondly referred to his colleagues and mentors, the late, great Bryan Robson being one of the most frequently-referred to.

The myth of Fergie as this imperious footballing mastermind who would either bring the best out of a player or else cut them out instantly is mostly compounded in this autobiography, but it's fascinating to see the other side of the man who 'bullied' other teams, managers and 'had the refs in his pocket' - he was a tactician with a profound understanding of the game. He had an ethos that no player was bigger than Manchester United, and he successfully enforced it with an iron fist. He went through hard times with the club (nearly losing his job before they won the FA Cup in the early 90s) and brought them through the other side, fully immersed in his self-made footballing philosophy. The Man United fans of today would do well to read this and remind themselves of how even Fergie had struggles within the team.

I'm still not necessarily a fan of the man, but this autobiography has really opened my eyes as to just how much Ferguson achieved in his lengthy career, and as a football fan, you cannot help but respect him.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 July 2016
What a great read. Regardless of what football team you support. It's undeniable that this man is one of if not the greatest manager of all time.
What a great insight of what goes on in the mind of this great man. Find out what happens behind the scene of famous incidents and how one man became Manchester United himself and also the godfather of football, striking fear in opponents and also grinning the respect from opposition managers.
Would love to meet the great man himself but would definitely feels very nervous to meet such a successful man.
on 8 January 2015
A bit self indulgent considering Sir Alex's influence in bringing David Moyes to my beloved club, the reverberations of which are still being felt. In the book Alex states that Tom Cleverly is an excellent footballer - I have to question his thought process when he made that comment, as in my opinion, Tom Cleverly is one of the worst footballers I've seen play for United in recent times.

Sir Alex definitely proved himself to be a level 4 leader based on Jim Collins' Book - Good to Great. (Not a level 5 by a long way) Also the fact that he added to the book to address the issue of Moyes' appointment says it all really, in a poor attempt to absolve himself of any blame.
on 29 December 2013
Interesting second instalment of Fergie's autobiography. Much in the same style as the previous book which takes Fergie's time right up to the end of last season. There are few surprises really and I didn't think anyone, except possibly Owen Hargreaves and Steven Gerrard would have any reason for complaint. Most of his observations are entirely logical and pretty straight forward, but it's good to hear about them from his point of view. If you're a United fan this book is essential reading and does not damage him or United as I had feared it might. If you're not you may find it hard to stomach, but it's a good insight into great man's thought process and opinions over the past 10 years. Would recommend it
on 16 February 2014
My worry with autobiographies, especially sports stars, is if they concentrate too much on the personal aspects of their lives and not what made them a success. For example, I got halfway through David Beckham's autobiography and I won't be picking it up again. Sir Alex Ferguson is the greatest British manager of all time and this book gives great insight into what got him to that stage. Although, there are nice little anecdotes from his younger days and about his family. He talks through the rivalries of Liverpool, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho and all the biggests successes, namely; Champions League '99 and '08. I'm speaking personally of course, but it delves into all the main triumphs and failures that most United want to read. There was a lot of coverage regarding the apparent 'controversy' the book caused ie. Beckham, Keane, Benitez etc. But all I came across, was honest, straight to the point writing that you come to expect in anyone's autobiography. I mean, who expected Sir Alex to mince his words anyway? All in all, a great read about a great man!