on 6 April 2013
3 CDs of good quality jazz funk - for only £5! The blurb says this is an introduction to the genre. Personally I think this is more for afficiandos with Bitter Suite being a better introduction for those new to the music. Listening to the tracks took me back to my days of clubbing in 1977/78 at Crackers and the like. Ah, those were the days.
I had many of the tracks, but by no means all and can thank the CD for introducing me to Bobbi Humphrey who, for some reason, had passed me by 'back in the day'.
For £5 you can't go wrong. Whether a newby or - like me an oldby - buy it.
21 people found this helpful
on 24 November 2014
I wouldn't say this was for beginners; it's as eclectic as the form itself and if you WERE a beginner, man, have you got some concentrating to do.... Even if you know Jazz Funk well, this set can still surprise you, as well as remind you of the high quality of the genre.
There are the 'standards' of tracks and artists and many less well known of both; you will definitely need more than one listen. This isn't a criticism, you can't be a fan of the music if it hits your ears and carries on past.
I was expecting a few more upbeat tunes, but I'm not complaining. My first introduction to Jazz Funk was on the dance floors in late 70's London, and I suppose it still colours my outlook.
It's well worth a listen, and good value for money.
on 14 May 2017
Connoisseurs of modern fusion will also love this set.Good variety with personal favourites being all the Donald Byrd anthems especially "Change..";Ronnie Laws(Every Generation) topped by Bobbie Humphrey (Chicago Damn) exhilarating flute masterwork and arrangements by magical Mizelles ...and incredible Maze/Frankie Beverley(Look At California)
on 31 January 2014
This is a great must have album if your like me who liked the old jazz funk music back in the day, I was looking around for an album like this for ages and thought that I will never be able to find them again until now.
music like (Donald Byrd), Falling like Dominoes, (Gary Bartz) Music is my Sanctuary (Brass Construction) Movin (Mystic Merlin) Just cant give you up, this is some of the great memorable club hits back then.
This is a three disc album so if you were into the 80s club mixes and remember those Jazz Funk days then I can guarantee that you will be able to remember some of these to bring back memories.
good album but probably more for the older generation......
on 20 April 2013
I Love this collection, so many great Jazz Funk songs at a great price. Great sound quality too. I will be purchasing others in the ''Beginners Guide'' collection.
11 people found this helpful
on 22 January 2014
Although I knew all the tracks and artists on Disc 1 Anthems, I bought this for what was on Disc's 2 & 3 and I wasn't disappointed. Again, I knew a few of the artists that were on it, but I didn't know the tunes, but I can honestly say there is not a bad track. If you would like to delve into the Jazz Funk world, this is not a bad starting point, whether listening to it chilling with an iced drink or just cruising in the car, you can't go wrong with this.
on 27 May 2018
Love this album
on 18 April 2013
a lot of great tracks on here, because a lot of my vinyl wont transfer to mp3, so the next best thing buy the cd, top jazz-funk tracks on here
7 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2017
Great music from a great era. Excellent selection by the compilers.
on 19 September 2014
good compilation, although I did consider 3 stars because there is some lounge like numbers which are fine but could put off those looking for the ultimate compilation but for the price you can't complain.