Customer reviews

Where Does This Door Go
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 August 2013
To cut to the chase, I heard "the stars are ours" thinking it was Steely Dan. I was stunned when I heard this was a new track from MH. I had not heard of him before and was hooked imediately (goosebumps aplenty). I purchased the album on the strength of "the Stars are ours" and thats where the problems started (only joking). I could not believe that there is this artist producing such quality and I have only just heard of him. This is pure genious. The style of music is so fresh, it incorporates so many genres and the quality of every track is just excellent. It is going to be very hard to find an album that is up to the standard of Mayer Hawthorne and I just hope that he continues to produce such quality music in the future.

To give you an idea of what his music sounds like you will need to consider the following artists Steely Dan, Jamiroquai, Maroon 5, Justin Timberlake there is even some traits of Harry Connick Jnr (If you have heard his "She" album), there are elements of acid jazz, hip hop and so much soul that it is hard to beat.

Also check out his live performances on youtube, incredible!

Don't take my word for it, just treat yourself.
on 31 October 2013
I saw Mayer Hawthorne supporting Bruno Mars, and thought his act was great. So I thought about buying the album. Having read the reviews, I thought I'd give it a go. I now think it's possibly my favorite album, especially of albums bought over the last 5 years. It is a such a great mix of lyrics and the tunes to match them. The production is fantastic. If you're in any doubt, just buy it! Along with other customers, I have no idea why this group isn't more well known. Maybe better that way, as can avoid becoming too commercial. A brilliant album.
on 15 July 2014
Wonderful album. Urge people to listen that have never heard of Mayer. Saw him in concert and he sounded live exactly the same as on cd. This is really upbeat and makes you feel happy and summery, especially certain tracks. Would highly recommend it.
on 5 July 2016
seems to be getting worse, compared to his stones throw debut its not that great anymore
on 6 January 2014
Glad I made the effort to track down this artist after I heard him on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show. Thought I had missed something great from the 70s or 80s. Really grows on you and so diverse. I think at times he's great hip hop or funk then he's rhythm and melody smooth and jazzy Steely Dan somewhere that was called Yacht Rock but always he's a great soul sound a Four Tops or Temptations Man for today.
on 10 March 2016
Mayer Hawthorne is the greatest artist you haven't heard of. Earlier work is better but this is no '27 Dresses'. It's good.
on 28 July 2013
I've been a fan of Mayer since his first album,A Strange Arrangement.On this third album he has taken a slightly different direction,if anything more mainstream.But a lot more mature than the dross you hear on the radio.
on 13 August 2013
Brilliant CD again from Mayer, and I love that Amazon gives you a free digital download as well. It hasn't been out of my cd player since I received it. I cannot believe this guy is not a superstar.....
on 31 August 2014
cool tunes
on 14 October 2013
I've only heard one track from this artist (Crime feat. Kendrick Lemar) and loved it straight away, so I took the risk of purchasing his album as I have not heard of him before. Risk worth taking as you listen to the whole album it is enjoyable with every track.