on 5 September 2013
This is an excellent read, I picked it up, not having read Michaels work before,but found I could not put it down very easily,as I needed to know what Felix would find next! (Of course I did have to put it down to eat,sleep,and deal with the small matter of getting married!Luckily,my new wife let me finish the book so I could review it!)
With a very special brand of humor,Mr.Munz takes us on a journey of discovery of his characters,their world,and their part in the scheme of things! No spoilers from me! Oh no, Felix would never approve! Except he might...
Or not....Well, you'll just have to read it yourself to find out. Now, I wonder if I can finish the next book,before wife files for divorce?
on 11 April 2015
The near future where corporate interests are paramount and the majority of population live in urban decay while the elite live in luxury protected by extensive law enforcement, surveillance and private security, this is the world that a young Michael Flynn is attempting to exist in. After the dwelling he shares with a Freelancer (independent security operative) is blown up he is drawn into an investigation of an arsonist operating in the area and as the investigation deepens more and more of the cities secrets are revealed. Meanwhile a mining syndicate on the moon find a huge construct buried in the wall of a crater, the initial entry goes poorly but even on the moon it seems competing interests are in play and maybe the events on Earth and on the Moon are connected.
A Shadow in the Flame is a solid opening to this scifi series, it's not an action packed novel but builds the foundation slowly but surely with interesting characters and a mixture of tech we can recognise and others well beyond our own science but certainly on the road we are upon. The two main plots don't directly influence each other at this point and that I assume will be for future novels to offer up but for now we get a good investigative/mystery story set within a dark future Earth with hints of a much more complex narrative on the way.
I will be definitely reading the second book in the series, I want answers to questions that have yet to be asked.
on 7 November 2015
It is hard to like a book when you don't like the characters and have no real
sympathy for them.

The scruffy apartment block where Diomedes and Michael are roommates is burnt to the ground.
A stranger tells them that the arsonist was The Wraith (aka the Vigilante or Gideon) and the stranger's
employer will pay Diomedes to find and kill the Wraith because he also torched some warehouses.
Diomedes doesn't even bother asking for proof - he just wanted the money.

Diomedes was an unpleasant character who never smiled, had enhanced bionic arms and used his
cyber strength to bully and hurt people without any feeling of remorse.
Michael (aka Flynn or Romulus) was a weak person who hero-worshipped Diomedes like a teenager would,
despite being in his early twenties. Neither character had any depth to them.
Diomedes employs Felix, even though he despises him, because Felix has contacts and is good at finding
people. Felix was irritating and cracked stupid jokes and made quips all the time - none of them funny.

However, Felix was portrayed as a sensitive soul who tried to steer Michael away from becoming too much
like his hero, Diomedes. There were far too many rambling conversations and soul searching in between the rare
episodes of action.

Was the Vigilante a good guy for killing street thugs? or was he also an arsonist? and if so, why Diomedes'
property? Who wanted the Vigilante dead?

There was also a few chapters here and there set on the moon with miners unearthing something like a space
ship. It had little to do with the plot on earth, except another character, Marc, belonging to a secret society, was
trying to gain information about the discovery. Nothing was properly explained, so I suppose that will happen in
the next books. However, I just didn't care enough about what was happening to bother reading them.

I am sure this book will appeal to real Sci Fi/Fantasy enthusiasts, but sorry, it wasn't for me.
on 19 November 2013
Set in the future of Earth this is a novel of "Starting from here What If?" Michael Flynn is alone in the world, a country boy come to the big city, to try to make a life for himself. He finds a place to live with a man, Diomedes, who is a freelancer. A cybernetically enhanced human taking comissions to work as a bodyguard, guard, or other role where muscle power and quick wits are useful. Somebody burns down thier home, and they are hired to find the man who did this and other arson attacks in the city. Michael (freelancer name Romulus.) can finally help Diomedes in an investigation. This is a superb story with fascinating characters, subtle plot twists and a depth of insight into human strength and frailty that lifts it above the average. Beautifully done I was up all night to finish it.
on 2 September 2015
I'm not a regular reviewer but I think this book is worthy of one.
As a fan of the cyberpunk genre a good book in the genre is a rare find, most (in my opinion) encompass other aspects of sci-fi which can often dilute the cyberpunk content, thankfully this is not the case here.
The author introduces likeable characters and the action is well-paced without compromising the gritty cyberpunk setting.
A cracking read for fans of the genre.
on 28 October 2013
Again, this is not my genre, but wow, what a great and well developed story. I really enjoyed it. There was a bit of a problem with some of the writing mechanics, which made it hard for me to form the dialogue perfectly in my head, but Michael always cleared it up at the end and you are never lost. The transitions is done beautiful and I love his characters, especially Felix. Coming from someone that doesn't love stories about Bodyguards and what-knots, this author has really wowed me with his imagination.
I will recommend it to everyone
on 23 April 2014
Boring, far too much pointless dialog, got fed up after a couple of chapters and didn't finish it. Don't bother
on 6 June 2014
I can easily imagine this story being turned into a film. (Fingers crossed it will some day!)

I'm a huge sci-fi/cyberpunk fan and A Shadow In The Flames completely holds its own in my book collection, which includes novels from William Gibson, Phillip K. Dick. It definitely reminds me of books such as Neuromancer but Michael G. Munz brings a much needed young and fresh approach to the genre.
on 13 November 2015