• Verdi

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 June 2015
Exquisite performance from the soprano and the orchestra!
on 26 August 2014
Great thanks
on 15 September 2014
a superb opera singer
on 2 November 2015
Perfect
on 20 February 2015
At her peak - magnificent. The last few tracks are so moving. Best export they have...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 August 2013
UPDATE: After having another reviewer { M. E. OUTLAW } confirm there were no issues with his CD I bought track 2 in Studio Master Quality FLAC from linnrecords dot com and can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the actual recording, it appears to be a badly pressed or faulty disc I received. I can also say that the Studio quality FLAC plays with a wider sound stage and is more 'open' and better to listen to than the CD version. IMHO if you want to buy this recording and you can play back 24bit 96khz FLAC files then I would consider the more expensive download. May I suggest visiting this site and listening to the samples of each track prior to purchase.

>>>>>"I am giving this disc only one star because the disc I have been supplied seems to have intermittent quality issues with some 'crackling' and noise which only lasts a second or two but should not be there. Also the disc sounds compressed with a narrow stage. Even on headphones this recording does not sound very good, as if it is out of phase. Perhaps I should try swapping my speaker cables to see if it improves the sound. I am going to contact amazon for a replacement but my concern is I will get one from the same batch." <<<<<

The repertoire itself is very much a matter of taste, if this disc is aimed to show us how Anna's voice has become richer and darker over the past few years then it succeeds but I'm afraid the contents of this disc will have minority appeal. Obviously if you know exactly what you are buying then fine, however if you hope her first studio album in five years will contain popular songs then think again. With regards to her voice I must say that I preferred her earlier work from the late 90's to the mid 2000's as although she has developed a more dramatic, deeper and richer toned voice it does sound IMHO to be strained and somewhat forced. Please note that this is my own opinion only and seems to be at a disagreement with many professional reviewers.

Wouldn't it have been a real treat for the vast majority of Anna's fans to at least release a studio recording that they would like to listen to more than once rather than as a demo disc of the current development of her voice in technical terms. This album is self indulgent and aimed at a minority of fans. I am a huge fan of Anna Netrebko, I think I have just about every CD and DVD including some from Russian TV. I can honestly say that this is the worst CD of hers I have ever bought, however I am sure the critics will love this disc.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2013
From the beginning of the first track when Lady Macbeth reads (in a spoken voice) the letter confirming Macbeth as Thane of Cawdor, you know this is a new Anna Netrebko. This is confirmed half way through the track when she bursts into the dramatic "Ambiziosa spirto tu sei, Macbeth" ("You are an ambitious soul, Macbeth"). And it's a wonderful new Anna, as wonderful as the old Anna but different - richer, deeper and more dramatic, but still very recognisably Anna. I could listen to her spoken tones all day and then luxuriate in her singing.

This is not a chocolate box Verdi selection. Although not rarities, the album does include a number of tracks that are not commonly found on this sort of studio album. It makes for a very pleasing collection that you are less likely to already have in some other guise. This, alone, make the album a worthwhile purchase in its own right even if you weren't buying it for the Anna Netrebko in it.

If you are buying it for the Anna Netrebko in it, and are expecting a more dramatic Anna, you should not be disappointed. However, those looking for "more of the same" may well be less pleased. But there's plenty of that available to chose from, so this extension to her repertoire is very worthwhile, especially as (to my ears) she does it so well. Although the dramatic can be very dramatic, she's not full on dramatic all the time. The term "spinto" comes to mind. There's also sublime delicacy where needed and a range of expressive colours. I look forward to her performing this repertoire on stage and the Bly-rays that will hopefully follow. In the meantime, enjoy this album as a foretaste as to what is to come.

A word about the different versions. I have the deluxe version - a digibook with lyrics and a lot of photo, and a bonus DVD. The digibook is worth having, the DVD possibly less so depending on what you already have. I found it disappointing - it's rather short and I already have many of the clips in complete operas or concerts on Blu-ray. A couple of the tracks are also "pop" style promotional videos that the world would be better off without. Nevertheless, I'm not deducting a star for that. If you are an Anna Netrebko fan like me, the deluxe version would be worth having without the DVD.
on 9 October 2013
To me, Netrebko is still the sovereign soprano of our times, even though on some of this CD, she departs for the first time from dazzling coloratura areas and has progessed to more dramatic scenes, employing a new, lower, vocally deper voice, in paricular in Verdi's MacBeth, which is quite outstanding and very moving.. Her future as the dominant soprano star seems assured for many years with the prospect og her also singing Wagner as Elsa in Lohengrin in a few years. Highly recommended.
on 7 September 2013
No negative comments on the quality of the recording, but found the singing a bit disappointing. Worth a try if you are not familiar with the singer.
on 20 September 2013
This is a fantastic album by Anna Netrebko at her best. I own all her albums and would say that this definitely ranks among her best.