on 11 August 2013
This is genuinely dreadful. It fails as a novel on so many levels I think it may have been written for a bet. Let's start with first principles: the English language. This has been written by a child with access to a thesaurus, but not a dictionary. Consequently there are misused words scattered throughout the text. Basic errors such as misspelling wretch for retch and sight for site make me think the editor was blind or drunk. Blind drunk perhaps, but in any event in need of a forced career change.

It reaches hysterical proportions when in the space of the same paragraph, girl A is described as an "unsurpassable beauty", and by the end of the paragraph girl B is "as beautiful or more so." Did anyone proof read this nonsense, or like any sensible person did they give up after the first few pages? I only persevered because I wanted to write this review, and I felt I owed it the author to keep trying.

The characters are bland to the point of invisibility, I found myself cheering on the bad guys in the hope that Sim, Annoya and that other chick could be subjected to a gruesome death.

So a poor text peopled by the inane, surely the world building could redeem the novel? Alas no, just a tired list of tropes and nothing new. Suspension of disbelief you ask? Wrong. For example: the main character is an innkeeper's son. This must be the only inn in all created worlds where no one talks, at all, about anything, ever. This innkeeper's son is unaware of the name of the king that has ruled for a thousand years, or that at the other end of the island he lives on, rich folk fly around on enormous lizards. He lives and works in an inn. He's twenty-one and in all that time no one has mentioned the thousand year old king, or the flying lizards.

There are only two reasons spend your money here: either your money is not hard earned and you are living off immoral earnings; or you need to remind yourself just how talented the good writers are, by reading this as an extreme left hand benchmark. The five star reviews must have been written by the author's mum.
on 24 September 2013
If you enjoy good fantasy fiction, then don't read this book. If you care about the English language, don't buy this book. If you like interesting and diverse characters and an original plot, then....

The number of glowing reviews makes me suspicious of the whole review process...read the review by RF "al786" for an excellent critique. I wish I had taken notice!!!
on 12 July 2013
After reading as many fantasy books as I have, the story lines of most books are the same. So you need some thing that distinguishes one book from the other. The Innkeeper's Son as the humph that makes this book special and worth the read. Finished it within 2 days could not leave it from when I downloaded it, even though I was at work for the 2 days.

I can't wait for the next book in the series.
on 9 July 2013
I really enjoyed this book. the author is good at getting you to care for the goodies and hating the baddies. There are occasions when there are too many coincidences happening in the name of "the prophecy" but us fantasy readers are used to accepting amazing plots and happenings - well recommended.
on 29 December 2013
Liked the whole book, would recommend to anyone who enjoys good fantasy . Also liked the fact it had a decent amount of chapters, not a couple of hundred pages then you have to pay for the next half of the story. Looking forward to " the Blood Lord" can't wait
on 6 July 2013
A Good engrossing read. The story keeps you guessing and draws you in with good characters who I wished to see succeed and others I wanted to see suffer!!! Can't wait for the next book's release on Kindle. Bring it on!!!
on 4 August 2013
I bought this with high hopes having read all the glowing reviews. Not really sure what the other readers tastes are but I stopped reading after 3 dreadful, childish and amateur chapters. I kept picking it up and trying again, and after 5 minutes or so would put it back down. It's just awful. Totally awful. It's not even so bad it's fun. It's just like a teenagers paint by numbers fantasy attempt. Sorry.
on 13 July 2013
A thoroughly enjoyable read with alot of thought gone into the creation of the world in the book with some very interesting characters , my only criticism and it has nothing to do with book or story but I was wondering is there a mailing list we can subscribe to for the next book. Would love to hear from the author about this possibility. Again to those that a reading this review you wont be disappointed
on 4 August 2013
Ok, so I'm only quarter of the way through. So far, the plot seems good and quite interesting,

However, the book is in desperate need of a good editor/proofreader. There are so many basic grammatical errors, it's hard to read. Commas in the wrong places, missing or just added at random, the wrong words used (e.g. "wretch" instead of "retch"), inappropriate idioms (e.g. "toeing the line", when he means "pushing the boundaries"). The list could go on and on.

I'm going to go and read something that's been properly edited now! I may come back to this book if there's a decently edited or proofread version in the future...
on 12 August 2013
While i agree with other reviewers about this book being an excellent start to a new series the proof reading leaves a awful lot to be desired. Bad spelling and poor grammer makes me wonder if anyone actually did proof read it or perhaps someone skimmed through it and thought that will do. Story good but as with many books going stright to ebook the other things are also important