Customer reviews

At The BBC
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 January 2014
I bought the Bolan at the BBC issued a few years ago, and loved it, I thought long and hard before I spend another £40 on this set, but finally succumbed. I am glad I did, the interviews alone are worth having, but add to that Johns Children and early Tyran Rex recordings then it is worth having. It relies very heavily on the period 1968 to about '72, when Bolan was never off the air, so the latter T.REX, TANX through to Dandy have little covering, other than the singles, A & B sides. If you are a Bolan collector then I recommend it, if you are just discovering Bolan then I would recommend the Albums first before this set
on 17 July 2015
Amazing a must have for marc bolan/T rex fans
there is great interviews love this
on 11 September 2013
I don't normally write many reviews but can't help but notice how slow the reviews are coming in for this amazing collection of Bolan at the BBC.
I already own the original Bolan at the Beeb set which has always been one of my favourite Bolan collections, likewise David Bowie at the Beeb. I love the sheer raw quality of the early live or re-recorded song versions for radio. I had no hesitation forking out my hard earned money on this more expanded comprehensive version of Bolan's work at the BBC. When I received the set I transfered all six CD's onto a usb stick and set random play tracks in my car, which I love because true Bolan fans will already know the chronicle order of Bolan's recording history. What this collection brought home was how important and passionate John Peel really was in his support for the earlier work. I won't go into every or even any specific track but some of the later interviews are so clear you wish they were in fact live on the radio as you listen. Bolan was a master of words who loved to innocently exaggerate every aspect of his work and his growth in confidence and cockiness throughout the years is extremely endearing. There will never be another like him. The packaging is very well produced with some rare photographs in a mini-book form which I have still to read.
I don't suppose this release is aimed at the general public but produced specifically for the life-long die-hard fans like myself and others. If you are a true fan, you must have this in your collection, if you are a passing fan there is a 'best of' version available for a third of the price. Thank you to all responsible in the making of this set.
on 11 September 2013
Fantastic six disc set complete with excellent booklet and packaging. The great news here...is that five of the six discs feature Marc Bolan at his creative peak--all the way from the early Tyrannosaurus Rex days up to and including Tanx. Considering how many folks considered Bolan's music to be throwaway fluff when it was originally released, it's certainly interesting how many now consider his music to be purely gripping, meaty, and timeless.

If you already own previous Marc Bolan/T. Rex BBC recordings you might want to think before buying, as much of this material has already been released. If you are a fan and don't own any of the previous BBC discs then this is the one to get. We're fans for life...so we bought this and don't regret it even though we already have many of these recordings. This is an impressive set that was obviously a labor of love.
on 4 October 2013
I've not listened to all the tracks yet but I'm a Marc Bolan fan so know different versions of all of these songs. This is a well presented package and covers virtually all the BBC recordings, although the compiler is still trying to get some very illusive ones. This archive fits in well with other compilations and shows the way Marc moved from the 'hippy' days to the best music of the 1970's - my opinion and not open to debate! The set has a quality feel to it and the design is in keeping with the archive it presents. It is a good addition to my collection.
on 7 September 2013
This is THE box set that id been waiting for 20 years to get a hold of....its simply fantastic and woth every single penny of your money!
on 22 November 2013
I'm a massive of fan of Marc Bolan/T-Rex so this was a must have for my collection. Extremely happy with this purchase!
on 1 June 2015
Something of a rehash/cash in, but nice to have everything from the BBC collected onto one set. Could have fitted onto 4 discs rather than 5. Some of the later inclusions are a bit questionable, as they appear to be the records played on the radio. Buy it anyway.
on 6 September 2013
Compelled to respond to the idiotic and ill-informed review below I can confirm, after being in possession of this collection for a while now, that all six discs contain the original session recordings. Some of the later recordings are Bolan's vocal over the studio mix but that is the way things were done at the time, not some sleight of hand by the set's compliers. All sessions are comprehensively documented and dated and cross-referenced in the beautifully written liner notes.

The interviews with Bolan provide a wonderful context for the music to be listened to chronologically, and it's fascinating to trace his development as an artist and a person by starting at the beginning and finishing at the end. It's also wonderful to have all these in the same place and in a package that absolutely represents value for money.

Don't pay attention to knee-jerk Spotifiers out to spoil, without having the item in their hands to make an informed judgement.
on 14 November 2013
God they keep finding more & more Marc Bolan stuff! I love this new BBC box set it's so well put together.