Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 11 June 2013
I have had this album pretty much on loop since i purchased it; Howlin is a really bright, party album and will no doubt be the soundtrack to my summer. It marries the best parts of 60's psychedelic pop music with contemporary rhythms to create a sound that would bring Bez out of retirement to shake his maracas with great fervour. The song that drew me to this album was "The Throw", which perfectly illustrates Jagwar Ma's seamless mix of the new & old...it starts out with a surf guitar riff and trippy vocals before turning into an acid style dance track; it's a brilliant track and i would love to hear it live. Having now listened to the rest of the album, i was pleased to discover that The Throw wasn't a singular highlight, the whole album is excellent. The pace does drop off on the last two tracks, but after the upbeat nature of the earlier tracks it's nice to have a couple of lovely, chilled out songs to smoothly bring the album to a close....before playing the whole thing again!
on 29 October 2013
I really liked this one. My favourite of 2013.

They've got great lyrics combined with Chemical Brothers / Oasis / Happy Mondays style dance backing.

I saw them at Lattitude and am keen for more.
on 11 November 2013
thought it was OK, not sure what all teh hype was about really. listended to it a couple of times but solid enough, but possibly just not my gerne 9althrought that is ahrd to tie down with this) whcih i suppose is a plus!
on 15 July 2013
There's something in the water in Australia at the moment with bands like Cloud Control, Tame Impala and this lot channeling all sorts of wonder psychedelic stuff. 'Howlin' is a heady stew of The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Teardrop Explodes and Radiohead all filtered through looping pedals, layers of guitar and the splashiest drums this side of Michael Clarke (The Byrds again). Best of all it's drenched in brilliant melodies and thus utterly addictive.

It sounds great in the summer sun and I have a hunch it will sound great in the depths of a snowy winter too - clever that.
on 13 August 2015
Good album ,varied throughout, like a lot of stuff coming out of the antipodes reminiscent of the late sixties but with an up to date freshness. Buy the cd and get the free mp3 download courtesy of Amazon. You shouldn't be disappointed, if you are so what you've learnt not to trust reviews and got a shiny drinks coaster.
on 17 February 2016
Noel Gallagher said of Jagwar Ma that the future of the universe depended on them;
NME said their debut album was the 16th best release of 2013;
Q went further, placing it at No.11.

I bought it, I listened to it, and I didn't care for it.
The critics got a bit carried away.
More than a bit, actually.

To my ear, not only is the Emperor not wearing any clothes, he's hunched in the gutter pleasuring himself into a puddle of his own diarrhoea.

Not for me.
review image
on 25 September 2015
Purely good vibes. IMO Jagwar Ma's debut is without question one of the absolute gems of the last decade, Gabriel's vocals provide a totally ecstatic, sun-kissed, uninhibited feel over those sumptuous digital and analogue sounds from Jono and Jack. Just stunning.
on 14 October 2013
Your mates will know you are cool when you pop this little beast on the ipod.
Attractive women will want to know who it is.
on 10 June 2013
Jagwar Ma' debut album Howlin is a psychedelic dance album that hails from Sydney, and on it there are some great tracks that will get you dancing all night long. I love the groove of some of the tracks, particularly 'Four' which has a great beat and psychedelic feel to it. There are points in this album that seem to nod back to the 'Madchester' era, and I'm not quite sure that it's time for that nostalgia yet, but it's no bad thing really.
There are some other good tracks, such as 'Man I Need' which reminds me of both the Stone Roses and Primal Scream with it's laid back guitar riff. 'The Throw' is another solid track with a Stone Roses feel to it, and a nice little drum beat to guide it along. The last couple of tracks sadly left little impression on me, and some of the other tracks weren't that strong for me.
In conclusion, this is an album that isn't breaking or making any new genres, although it certainly has some great tracks. It's a good album to put on and dance to, especially 'The Throw', and 'Four'. If you're a fan of Madchester or even dance then this is an album for you.
on 28 June 2013
I bought this album on the back of hearing one track. I'm glad I did, it is the best album released in years! It has a feeling of early nineties Madchester/house whilst still sounding new and fresh. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.