on 25 March 2017
This was a very good product but after less than two years it has suddenly died. Will not charge, no LEDs: completely dead.
I contacted AnkerDirect who responded very quickly. They asked me to confirm that I had tried other cables and chargers so they quickly confirmed that the unit was faulty and offered to send out a replacement immediately, which I received a few days later and they did not require to have the faulty one returned. They also e-mailed me to check that the new unit had arrived.
AnkerDirect's customer service is fantastic and they are a pleasure to deal with! 12 out of 10.
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 30 October 2016
Product came very well packaged. I have purchased a few products(charging cables/screen protectors etc) now from Anker and the two things that stand out are their packaging and customer service.
I had ordered this power bank a while ago. Charges my nexus 5 about 4-5 before needing another charge itself. Charging times are about 11-12 hours to get it fully charged up again. When it works it does its job well. Also fast charges so takes shorter for my mobiles or other devices to charge up. Also has a built in light that is quite bright. I wouldn't say I have used the light much so can't comment on the battery draw from the light itself. The power bank is quite portable and useful when away from a wall charger availability.
The reason for the lower rating is the fact that I have now had this charger replaced twice. The first time it broke after about 6 months of low to moderate usage. It would not charge above the 50% threshold no matter how long I left it charging and would subsequently discharge even faster than expected. I tried with different wall chargers and cables as well to confirm it was not those products that were causing the issue. I contacted Anker customer support and they promptly sent out a replacement. Unfortunately, after about 6 months I had the same issue with the replacement unit as well. But with the second unit the lights indicating the charge would show full charge even after an hours worth of charging from the wall. So it was clear that the battery indicators were not working and despite charging it for a day it would still discharge fairly quickly. At times it would not charge the Nexus 5 device from 10% to even 70%. Anker customer service again sorted this out and sent out another replacement unit which was apparently an upgraded version of the same power bank. I have been using the upgraded quality version for about 7 months with no issues.
I would rate the customer service from Anker highly as the returns were no hassle to me. But having said that, I do not have much confidence in the product itself as I am not sure when it would break (I hope it does not). And if it does outside the warranty period then I would have to look at buying a new one, which means that I have purchased a product only for 18 months.
Update [16/11/2016]: So on the back of my earlier review, Anker CS got in touch with me over email and assured me that the replacement battery that they send out carries its own 18 month warranty. I have been using the replacement for over 6 months now without any issues. They also sent me a usb charging cable for the inconvenience caused which was very kind of them. Again I cannot emphasise on how brilliant the customer service has been from Anker. Top service.
on 25 September 2016
I've had the 16000mAh version for over a year and a half now and I still use it on a regular basis. The output charge is incredible, in half an hour I can give my phone a good boost to keep me going another several hours. I've not noticed much degrading over time so far as I'm still able to recharge my Galaxy S4 around 4-5 times over and it doesn't appear to lose charge when not in use even after a few weeks. As a demanding user it has served me well and will hopefully continue to do so for a good long while.

The build quality is excellent, I've dropped this a couple of times, once on a hard pavement and it's been perfectly fine, didn't even scratch it!

This is also essential for games such as Pokemon GO that drain electricity as fast as the Hadron collider. I've been able to play all day with my phone using this battery pack.

I can't really find any fault other than I wish it was a little lighter but the weight of it is reassuring that there's actual good batteries inside unlike cheaper brands that feel so light that you just know they use cheap cells.
on 2 November 2016
I have many external battery packs but this is the worst one I have, by far. While all of the others will essentially recharge plugged into any cable and USB port, this battery will not. It is almost impossible to recharge and was a complete waste of money.

Edit - after my post I was contacted by the company who determined the one I had was defective (and had been since the beginning). They replaced it (even though it was out of warranty) and the new version seem to charge ok. I have not had a real chance to try it out yet but once I do I might change the score again.
on 29 December 2015
This will end up being more of a review about the wonders of having a rechargeable backup battery and less about the Anker.

This little thing is great. With enough juice to fully recharge an ipad air 1.5 times, and something like charge an iphone 6 six times, it holds more than enough juice to keep you going for the better part of a full day. Is this great for travelling? Absolutely. Especially if you're traveling economy and don't have access to a power point at your seat, you're no longer limited by your ipad battery on longer flights.

But even better, it makes your commute easier. I can't tell you how many times I've been running out the door and realized that my phone or ipad is running out of juice. Before, there was the scramble to find a charger and the awkward "hey, can I plug in?" at your destination, or the awkward sit by the wall in the airport next to a powerpoint. No longer. Battery goes in the bag, plugs into the phone or the ipad, and we're back to reasonable battery charge by the time you reach your destination.

Yes, it's great that it can charge two devices at once. It doesn't seem, though, that you can simultaneously charge the battery AND charge two devices from the battery. I could be wrong, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. It's small enough to fit in a jeans pocket (unless you're wearing skinny jeans). It also holds charge for a long time (I've left it for 3 weeks and still managed to get a full iphone charge out of it).

Bought mine about a year ago, and haven't noticed any drop off in battery life. Only one thing: make sure you've got a high powered wall adapter when you are charging it...unless you want to wait 10 hours for the battery to charge up again.

Buy one of these, or, better yet, one of the newer models. You won't regret it.
on 10 January 2016
My phone has a 2,515mah battery. This charger will charge my phone from 1% to 100% 4.5 times before the Anker charger runs out of battery itself.

I e-mailed the company because I wasn't convinced I had an effective charger (you know, what with so many other reviews on here claiming they used it for five days and it charged every iPhone on the football team, including all their iPads and a few beer fridges. Such rubbish) and Anker gave me the following information:

The internal circuit board is 92% efficient, which is up to 5% above the industry average. And energy is also lost within the charging cable and the device being charged (approximately 15-20%). So the actual conversion rate in reality is around 70%.

To calculate roughly how many times the battery should charge your device you can use this formula:

(Capacity of the Anker external battery* 70%) / Capacity of your device = Number of possible charges

In my case, the circle should be: (16,000 mAh * 70%)/ 2,515mAh = 4.45

If you have a 5v battery adapter to plug the Anker into, it will charge from 0-100% in eight to nine hours.

If you use your mobile phone adapter and its less than 5v, then you're looking at about 13 hours to fully charge the Anker device. This is a very, very handy gadget to have in your bag/rucksack/car.
on 7 April 2016
I have recently purchased this portable charger with a set of Ravpower microusb cables which I don’t recommend for long term usage.

First of all, the packaging the Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 came in was very neat and sophisticatedly simple. There was very little wastage in packaging and everything came as it was stated including
- 1 Anker 2nd Gen Astro E5 Portable Charger
- 1 Micro USB Cable
- 1 small case (to protect the charger from scratches I believe)
Second of all the charger fits in my palm and isn’t too bulky, I can place it in my jeans pockets with my phone if need be for a quick charge. The body is simple and very sleek. I like the 4 LEDS showing how much power is left,
Furthermore, Anker uses PowerIQ technology which is pretty impressive as it is multifunctional. This is because PowerIQ detects the battery level in your phone/tablet/device and automatically stops the charging process at 100% charge which is efficient. Also the PowerIQ has technology that identifies the device you need to charge and changes the amp availability for a faster charge.
This power bank charges very quickly and is everlasting. I bought this for a four-day long trip in Europe and only charged it once, on the day I was leaving with it completely charged, by the end of the trip, the Anker power bank had some juice in it left which surprised me considering the high usage over those 4 days.

Additionally, there is two USB ports available on the end of the Anker, which allows for multiple device charging which is great for those who have a phone and tablet with them. One final feature is the small LED torch that can be turned on with a button on the side. It is very powerful, not a necessity but is a very good bonus.

In conclusion I highly recommend this portable charger if you are interested in purchasing a portable charger because of all the different features and high charge speed.
on 31 December 2015
One of my best purchases in a very long time. I bought this in the summer and still use it all the time and am very pleased with it - I have recommended it to all of my family and friends.

The charger does about three full charges of the iPhone 6 from dead, or numerous short bursts of charges. It charges extremely quicker, it seems to be quicker than my wall charger, and is a great size to fit into my handbag or coat pocket. I take this everywhere with me and it is ideal for travelling - trains, planes, long car journeys and overnight stays. I also use it at work when my phone is running low if I am working late or going out in the evening, and have used it for a few music festivals and concerts. It also looks nice!

It has four LED lights on the front which let you know how much charge it has left. It does take a long time to re-charge but I charge it overnight whenever it gets low and then it's good to go again for a while. The charge seems to hold well when you are not using it. There is a grey button at the side which you need to press once you have an item attached on the USB to charge up, which prevents it from accidentally activating in your bag, and it also stops once it gets to 100%.

It is also very durable as it gets constantly knocked about in my handbag or when I am out and about. It is a bit scratched up now but works absolutely fine.

You can charge up to two items at once. The charger comes with its own charging USB (it is a standard USB which fits kindles etc) but it does not come with spare USBs to charge your devices so you will need to have these yourself.
on 14 January 2017
I've had this for a few years now and used it every day. It's a godsend if you're travelling, as it holds enough charge to completely recharge an iPhone several times over. I like the fact that it has two USB sockets, it's nice to be able to help out others while still charging your own device at the same time! The drawstring pouch it comes in is handy, as it not only protects the unit from bumps and scuffs, it's a convenient place to store the leads you need. I've even used the included torch a couple of times.
Well worth spending a little more for a slightly bigger unit- this has outlasted several of my friends' cheaper, more compact chargers, and it still looks as good as new.
on 19 June 2017
I don't think I can ever go back to not having a portable charger, or ever use another brand again! I adore my Anker charger. I was surprised as its bulk & weight, but this has turned out to be a positive as I can always easily find it within my bag. I really enjoy that I am able to charge multiple devices (up to two) and that I can do several full-charges before the charger runs out of its own battery. It comes in a mesh draw-string bag; another feature I really like as it gives me a feeling that my charger is well protected within my bag.
I would highly recommend this product!