on 24 April 2017
Wow! Magnificent. This is better than seeing the show live (which I had done). The video closeups beat what can be seen of the make-up and costumes of the players, the singing, acting, and choreography are awesome, and it is accompanied by a full symphony orchestra.
on 22 January 2015
THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE TRANSFER TO BLU RAY AND NOT THE SHOW, WHICH I THINK IS SUPERB
I have this already on DVD and love it so thought I would buy it on blu ray for the improved sound and picture quality. The sound is OK not true DTS but remixed from dolby digital. The picture transfer is appalling. After comparing to my DVD, I found the picture marginally better on the DVD, no idea how they managed that.
If you don't own it, still a very worthwhile buy for a terrific show. Shame they put no effort into the transfer, buy the DVD, it's cheaper.
on 1 February 2016
I love this musical and this DVD recording is brilliant to relive the magic of the stage show. I was a bit disappointed that the entirety of Growltiger's Last Stand was taken out for this version because the actor playing Gus (the Theatre Cat) was basically too old to do it - or at least that is what I've read. This version also features the updated version of Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer, which differs from the original West End recording (but I prefer this version anyway). That being said, John Partridge is by far my favourite Tugger and the whole show is great, even on the screen. Well worth buying, and I haven't even seen the special features yet!
on 7 June 2015
This review is specifically about the technical presentation quality of the Blu-Ray version of 'Cats - Ultimate Edition'. If you are expecting Blu-Ray quality - stay away, you might as well just buy the regular DVD version. The Blu-Ray image quality is the same as the DVD version - this version was simply unconverted from standard definition to "HD" resolution using a video scaler/processor. The scaling artifacts are very noticeable. The overall image quality is absolutely unacceptable for a Blu-Ray disc. Very disappointing. What is the point of releasing this wonderful musical on Blu-Ray if there is no HD source material ? I feel ripped off.
on 15 February 2018
A point of clarification:
The Amazon sales page for this DVD states "The first ever film of an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical taken straight from the stage - at the New London Theatre on Drury Lane.". This suggests that was filmed at the New London which is why I bought it. The small booklet inside the DVD states "...filmed as a multi-million dollar production over a period of 18 days at London's Adelphi Theatre.". I have played the DVD and while it is still a great musical, I can tell that it isn't the New London Theatre as I saw CATS there three times.
I am very happy to have a DVD version of this musical but I am very disappointed that the sales blurb is misleading.
on 8 February 2014
Most of these reviews relate to the DVD not the Blu-ray version. People who buy Blu-ray expect High Definition. The image quality is little better than a VHS image - utterly appalling. Save money and buy the standard DVD. It's disgusting that any company should produce such a low quality master. The musical is brilliant, it deserves more attention to the conversion to disc.
on 7 November 2017
Lovely, would have been better if recorded with a live audience and subtitles too for those of us who can't hear all the words, but still very entertaining
on 4 September 2013
Very poor image quality indeed. I once owned the DVD and it was at least as good if not better in terms of image definition.
on 18 December 2015
For many years 'Sweeney Todd' has been branded as my favourite musical...until I saw this magical masterpiece!

I mean, wow, just absolutely wow! Andrew Lloyd Webber really does know his power of love for musicals, and this damn well shows it. 'Cats' is a 1998 video production film, based on the hugely successful West End show of the same name, and is produced by Lloyd Webber himself! The basic plot is about a tribe of cats meeting up & they call themselves "jellicle cats", and one of them shall be chosen as the special one.

If you're looking for fabulous costume design, stunning sets, wonderfully written songs, powerhouse voices/acting, brilliant make up & lump in your throat instrumental music pieces, then look no further than this artistic "Memory".

This IS 'Cats'! Enjoy it!
on 3 August 2015
Absolutely wonderful! Fast delivery and great pricing for such a masterpiece of a musical, including bonus material which is utterly brilliant! It's hard to fault this DVD, as the musical is spectacular and great quality. The musical is definitely one of my favourites and it's one of them musicals that just leaves you speechless. It's perfectly cast, it has perfect sets, utterly vibrant costumes and songs that stay in your head for days. I'd definitely recommend this to a friend and I did not regret buying it. It's a musical that is very close to my heart and it's fantastic to watch. Every single song is a joy to hear in the musical, so there is nothing on it which will disappoint. It has it's small, but emotional moments, but has its utterly epic moments which leaves hair standing on end! "Memory" of course is the tear-jerker and never fails to make me cry. From the chirpy and mischievous cockney number "Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer" to the epically moving "Old Deuteronomy" .. there is no denying you'll be watching this more than once! Utter brilliance! Buy this if you love musicals! It's not to be missed!