on 29 December 2014
Brought this book for my husband who did an diploma in electrical contracting and installations in the 1990s and did all his own domestic electrical tasks to the IEE 16th Edition including inspection and testing. He has not done any major installation tasks for a number of years and wants to refresh his technical skills to 17th Edition and Part P Building Regulations. This book is ideal as it covers most domestic scenarios and basic calculations and testing procedures etc in a not to mathematically technical manner. Very well written and for someone like my husband who had the technical and other skills years ago but needed to refresh knowledge and understanding to comply with current regulations a brilliant book highly recommend. The only thing he said is he thinks the current part p regulations are a little OTT in some of the projects that require permission to proceed like installing an outside light. This is a basic job for a competent person to undertake in a safe manner to 17th edition regulations without the need or expense of paying the council and an electrician test and issue a certificate, this adds about another 400% in costs to the project. This comment in no way reflects the contents of the book which is brilliant and well worth purchasing
16 people found this helpful
on 2 March 2017
I'm a qualified SJIB 17th edition ( 3rd amendment) cold card approved electrician and I think this book is great, it would be a perfect for a youngster starting an apprenticeship, as it covers all the basics in a friendly and easy to understand way, with simplified illustrations. Very well written and produced.
3 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2017
A book that goes into great detail about trade installation practices on a property but little about the actual circuitry design. The diagrams are not very clear and poorly illustrated.
Not for a homeowner doing his own electrics
3 people found this helpful
on 27 November 2014
This is my fourth book by Chris,and I haven't found any other books that come close to the in-depth detail that he writes. I would say that this book is more of the practical experience required in domestic wiring, which I think complements his other titles. I actually attended Central Sussex college and gained my level 3 in electrical but to my disappointment never met Chris but I'd like to shake his bloody hand! 😄
6 people found this helpful
on 28 January 2018
I wanted a refresher book, this isn't it, this covers more about supply & incoming, SWA, etc... I was hoping this book would cover more on lighting, radial & ring main circuits but it doesn't... Hence only 3*, the information covered is good, but not what I required...
on 19 September 2017
great but a bit loose on some of the wireing to the latest regulations.
One person found this helpful
on 29 March 2016
Excellent book for fairly advanced wiring. Not totally up to date with 2016 regs, but adequate for part P purposes.
One person found this helpful
on 13 July 2016
Bought this for my estranged hubby who loves a decent technical guide/information book. He loves this one, as does my Dad who's also bought a copy. Enough said:)
on 16 November 2017
A very comprehensive and valuable book, very helpful wiring tips and diagrams
on 11 April 2018