on 22 May 2016
This book was a pleasure, at around 250 pages I was addicted and completed it within a week.
It has a diverse plethora or useful and mentally satisfying ideas, and is a fantastic introduction to these philosophers.
My reading list has quadrupled as I've been inspired to read some of the original philosopher's works, Montaigne's Complete Essays n particular.
Enjoy!
on 4 April 2016
I have bought more copies of this book than any other. I think it should be a text that is read in every school across the UK and the world. If you are one of the many who don't know what philosophy is for and why bother, this is the book that will make you want to go to University and debate Plato aesthetics. Yes honest. Drop a few quotes in at the Pub and suddenly every person will think you are the brainiest, wisest and most caring person on the planet.
on 7 October 2017
The lack of continuity may be the one criticism I have in that its a series of philosophical theories strung together without a narrative to make it memorable. So I've forgotten a lot of it and may have to go back to reread certain sections. Helpful division of sections though. Worth the read, just not my A++
on 4 November 2013
Hopefully the title of my review says it all. It really is a very personal book, which would make its mark depending on what's going through your mind. I think it was the chapter on Nietzsche that affected me most: "There is no fulfilment without pain and struggle" or something along those lines.

De Botton can write - effortlessly, beautifully and with a sense of humour.

He recommended this book to me himself and it was indeed a wonderful, satisfying read.
on 1 February 2014
Why we all still believe that philosophy is something most of us will never get our heads round, is rarefied and only for the select few to understand, I will never know. We all could do with LOTS of philosophy in our lives. Books like this one go a long way to filling that void!

Thank you Alain, for providing this distillation of "elder wisdom" and for stimulating my interest to go forth and discover more, and then to carry that knowledge and wisdom into my daily interactions with others.
on 24 November 2016
Amazing intro into philosophy through the eyes of 6 greats. Alain de Botton is a great author who will have you applying the wisdom of the sages to your everyday life!
on 30 May 2013
As someone with a casual interest in philosophy, this book was perfect for me. It really made me rethink how I approached my life, which for the few hours I invested in reading the book, I think is wonderful. I have since re read a few times, and always come away feeling better. De Bottan's writing style is really engaging. I highly recommend.
on 23 February 2018
excellent
on 27 January 2018
Fantastic read.
on 28 January 2012
I slammed another of ADB's books that I bought at the same time as this, so now having read this one I thought it only fair to praise it. My title pretty much sums it up - an entertaining and educational book on a number of famous philosophers from the past. Not dry and weighty, but challenging none the less. A good introduction to get you interested in things/writers you may not have thought about before. Just what I wanted and I hope you enjoy it too!