on 12 December 2014
I wasn't sure about this book as it's not really my sort of thing being set back in history.
This book is set in the 1800's its skips to twenty years to the present time with grace having a few secrets and setting of on a journey to find someone she has been looking for for a long time.
However when she knocks on arms door she didn't know she was running a fever.

Adam is a man protecting his family and he is not sure in graces story but he wants to find out.
Grace is not ready to share her whole life with Adam even after they share the emotions that are running though them both.
Graces brother shows after tracking her and he falls in love with Adams daughter however he feels he is not worthy of her love back.

The selects come one due to an unexpected visitor from graces past and the book the transports to twenty years in the past where graces journey starts.

Now she's at the hands of a man she hates and hopes Adam can save her before anything else happens to her at the hands of Stephen shay.

I enjoyed reading this book however I was lost in some parts due to never reading a book based in this time before.
on 26 June 2014
Grace has been running, with your younger brother for 20 years. When somehting happens, something BAD, she runs again, but this time lands on the doorstep of Adam, a rancher who took in the boy she has been looking for, for as long as she has been running. Jake isnt there, but Adam knows where he is. Grace, however, falls ill and needs to rest. Once she meets up with Jake, she'll be fine and all will be will. BUT it isnt. Her brother Matthew turns up, takes a shine to Adam's daughter, Victoria. The feeling is almost entirely mutual! When the said something from before finds its way into WHite Pines, Grace's first instinct is to run, and run far. Adam stops her. But she still has to tell who Jake really is, and why she has been running. Will he hate her? Will Jake??

A delightful historical romacne, nothing too complicated, just the thing when coming down from a previous book hangover! I would have liked the secret Grace is keeping to have been kept a while longer, but that said, it didnt spoil the story for me. The relationship between Grace and Adam is lovely, it shows that even after being so badly hurt, love can bloom. Matthew and Victoria are just plain funny together when they are fighting, the mud scene turned quickly into something else. I felt somewhat for Victoria while Matthew was fighting his demons though. Some witty one liners from Will, Jake'sw father in law gave the book a lighter feel, while dealing with some difficult issues, rape of a minor being the main.

Ive read a few historical romances, and this is on the more steamier side, but that said, its nothing like the new adult books! also some violence to Grace when said something turns up. still, a really really nice read!
on 3 January 2018
I enjoyed this book to a point, the only thing that spoiled it for me were the unnecessary explicit sexual scenes which detracted from the story and added nothing to it. Had it not included those scenes I would probably have given the book a higher rating and looked to buy more books from this author. As it is I probably won't be looking to buy any of this series in future, which is a shame because overall this had a good story line.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 April 2014
I loved this book, it had some real nail biting moments in it and you felt so bad for Grace and her brother that they'd had a life tormented by one man, who had the money and the power to keep seeking her out wherever she went, then when she finally thinks it's all over and maybe she can settle down, the rug is pulled from under her and she's left contemplating running again, she doesn't want to put anyone else in danger, but this time she has more than just her brother, she has Adam, and she has friends and family she never had before. She also has not one, but two secrets that she's been keeping and she fears what people will think when they find out, she's sure Adam will want nothing to do with her. It's a great read that I struggled to put down!
on 18 February 2015
I choose this book for two reasons, the write up about it and the reviews were good too. This book was excellent. I liked the way the story unfolded and gradually her past was revealed in such a compelling way, one minute I thought you this is it she will be happy again, but over and over again her past would come up and turn things upside down it was really really enjoyable. I recommend this book for anyone who likes a good love story and a happy ending to a brother and sister who had been through so much to eventually find happiness. I loved all the book and it was free.
on 30 December 2013
What a fantastic read..full marks to Sandy James. Inspirational, funny, sad, thrilling, what more can I say. I loved it.
on 21 March 2014
When I started this story I didn't realise it was set in 19th C USA. I enjoyed seeing how the story panned out and the development of the characters and storyline. All the characters underwent a change during the story and almost all for the better. I particularly liked the change in Grace and how she gradually 'blossomed' into a strong character.
The geographical detail of the area was almost like a travelogue, really made me want to see the area. Good well written story with enough pace to make it interesting.
on 10 August 2014
What can I say.... was a bit unsure as was a free book...... but actually this was a really good historic romance, I don't usually go for romance books but would recommend this one, in my opinion would make a good holiday read,not complicated as you get into quickly and pick back up quickly, also this is not a short book which I was quite surprised about as was a free book, give it ago nothing to lose!.
on 31 August 2014
This book was well-written and a good story. My only criticism is that I would have preferred it focused more on the main characters. There was enough material to keep the two romances (Adam/Grace and Matthew/Victoria) as separate books. Having said that, it's a minor criticism and the book was enjoyable. I did love Adam and I did hate the bad guy. Overall, it's a good book.
on 14 February 2014
Such a wonderful feeling of euphoria after reading this book. Out of such a struggle to survive the clutches of a mad man who degraded her and terrorised her into constantly running away from his clutches. Manages to find not only her son, but also to find love and happiness she so richly deserved. Well written,most enjoyable.