on 17 June 2013
Hans Zimmer has been handed the baton for the new Man of Steel film, following on from the mighty John Williams and John Ottman's rather excellent score for the failed 2006 reboot Superman Returns. Let's get this out the way at the start - if you are a fan of the music Williams wrote for the original films, stay well away from this release. This soundtrack is firmly in the camp of 21st Century music, and the more modern sound will not be to everyone's taste.

I won't go into every track on the albums (see lower down for the different versions). The softer piano theme for Clark Kent is extremely effective, and I would say stronger than some of the more action based material. The highlights are the brilliant "This Is Clark Kent" (Track 14) and "Sent Here For A Reason". DNA (Track 4) is brilliant and features some of Zimmer's choppy string ostinatos in full force. The General Zod theme in "I Will Find Him" is also impressive with some great writing for strings, brass and percussion. There are some absolute corkers on here. "Goodbye My Son" features a wonderful ethereal soloist and some nice writing for strings. It doesn't win any awards for complexity but it sounds fantastic. The best track has to be the epic "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World", which starts off with a rendition of the Clark Kent theme before building into the Man of Steel theme. I don't think anyone could not like this track!

The other question is whether to go for the 1CD Man Of Steel (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) version (run time is just short of 88 minutes) or the 2CD Man of Steel version which is just short of 2 hours. I personally always prefer to go for the version with more music - "General Zod" (CD2 Track 4) and "Arcade" (Track 8) are great, but they are variations on the themes you will have heard if you get the 1CD version. Whether you are interested in the lengthy (28 minute) minute sketchbook track and others will be personal preference.

The "Hans' Original Sketchbook" is an interesting concept on the second CD. It is basically synth mock ups of some of the main themes heard on the album. Some of which sound very similar to the final versions I might add. It does beg the question, and many have asked before, why Zimmer uses a real orchestra at all if the final version sounds slightly synthy. Regardless, I think this track is present to show the fans he does actually compose the themes for the films he is attached to. He has a lot of additional composers that work with him at his studio Remote Control, and Man of Steel has 5 other composers providing "additional music". Again some people have suggested how much he personally contributes to projects where his name is attached, but I think this sketchbook track shows he is the driving force, although other composers may rearrange his themes and contribute more than people might imagine.

So why 4*s rather than 5? As much as I liked the CD, I didn't think that Zimmer broke much in the way of new ground here. Granted, he is very competent at what he does, and whilst the themes were good, I didn't connect with it in a way that I have done with some of his previous work. Obviously this will be down to personal opinion though.

Overall, for fans of the music to the original films by JW this album will induce a strong allergic reaction that could only be cured by re-listening to the originals. In my opinion, this is not Zimmer's best work, but there is plenty to enjoy on the album. The main theme for Clark Kent is effective and although somewhat generic, the more action based man of steel theme certainly gets the blood pumping. All the themes are present on the 1CD version. The 2CD version does offer more music, a pretty decent booklet about the score and the chance to download a surround sound version of the score (which I have yet to do). I'm sure the neighbours will enjoy it when I do though! The choice of whether these additional perks are worth the slight increase in price will be your own. A solid 4* album from me, but despite the decent material and lengthy running time, Zimmer stayed in his comfort zone just a little too much to justify that final star.
on 21 June 2013
I was trying to decided if I should get the standard or the limited Deluxe Edition. In the end i decided to get this version and was pretty excited as I loved the music in the film and was particularly looking forward to the Man of Steel sketchbook on the bonus disc which is well worth the purchase

My Only issue with this (It would have been 5 stars as a product otherwise) When I read 'steel book' packaging I expect to get a steel book case like you do with other collectors/deluxe editions. Instead the CD case is made from glossy card made to look like steel.
To be honest as Limited Duluxe/collectors editions go, there isn't anything overly amazing in this package - 2 post cards, a very standard booklet and a digital download ticket.

That aside the music itself is easily 5 stars, Hans Zimmer has done an amazing job of capturing the emotion, power and excitement you would expect for a Superman Movie and made it modern and current.

If you are buying it for the music then you wont have any issues and will love it! Just don't buy it expecting anything special with the other extras.
99 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2016
I absolutely love the soundtrack to this film. It is epic and emotional, i think it is one of the best that Hans Zimmer has put out for a superhero film.
Obviously it is anchored by the majestic 'what are you going to do when you are not saving the world' which is by far the best piece in the film, and in my opinion one of the best movie charactor 'themes' in the last 15 years. but a
ll of the other pieces offer something different, there are quiet reflective moments, ominous threatening pieces and some beautifully tender bits as well.
This has become one of my favourite CDs for putting on in the background whilst doing things and i recommend it heartily
on 18 June 2016
This is a terrific soundtrack!

I recently saw Hans Zimmer in concert at the Birmingham Barclay Arena and every time I listen to his musical scores I am blown away.

The set is very nicely presented up and the additional pieces of documentation add a little more information about the production o the movie and the composing of the score.

This would make a terrific gift for anyone who a fan of action pack music.
on 6 July 2015
For me, this is one of the best movie soundracks of all time. It is rare that a movie is truly elevated by, rather than it's events simply complemented by, the muscic of the score. This is one of those cases. It easily adds 2 stars onto an otherwise enjoyable, but not necessarily rewatchable film.

Disc 2 contains sketches by Hanz Zimmer for what would become the full versions on disc 1. Overall, these are simply rough cuts and not worth the extra expenditure to own the deluxe edition. For most, buying the regular OST (a five-star purchase at half the price) will be enough.

If you like Hanz Zimmer's work this and want more then turn to the Dark Knight Trilogy, Gladiator, The Thin Red Line, Pirates of the Carribeaan (from 2 onwards) and Amazing Spider-Man 2 for more excellent scores from one of the greatest (if not the greatest) cinema composers of his generation.
on 17 December 2015
I already have Inception and Interstellar and I feel this soundtrack completes a really good Hans Zimmer trilogy.
Moreover, this deluxe edition delivers an extra CD that is packed of good music - if you like the M0S soundtrack then this really is the version to go for. I echo other reviews that the packaging isnt steelbook-like. It's just card. This is a mis-sell IMO. If fact, they missed a trick: a steel casing for the Man of Steel soundtrack? No brainer!
The booklet is nice, though it's more photos than written insight. Having said that it's good to see the talent that has contributed to this epic soundtrack.
The Z+ app is pretty neat - a nice reward for paying premium.
on 24 April 2014
Whatever you thought of the movie (I thought it was over-hyped and devolved too quickly into endless, mindless action but had some good ideas, good bits and good production design), if you like Hans Zimmer's music this is a must-have album.

Though themes and riffs are definitely reused, it's rarely over done and there's enough variation to keep things interesting. Some of the tracks that accompany the many, many action scenes have a wonderful sense of energy, threat and desperation about them ('If You Love These People' which is the theme to the main punch up between Zod and Kal).

Particular highlights are 'Flight' (which hits the tone, the sense of freedom and power and general joy of the scene in question perfectly) and 'What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?', which is essentially an extended version of the beautiful track 'An Ideal of Hope' that played over the main trailer for the film.

Definitely recommended if you like any of Hans Zimmer's other music. Watch out for the weird 'uh-oh' sound effect about fifteen seconds into the track Oil Rig though...
on 5 August 2013
I love the original Superman soundtrack. I promise you, I do. My favourite moment (pretty much the only moment I enjoyed) from Superman Returns was the use of the original opening theme music. It is a piece of music that promises hope and courage and swooping grandeur. It's an icon and I respect that...but I also like the new Man of Steel. Sorry. I went into the film waiting to be disappointed. I loved the Nolan take on Batman but the how the hell did they hope to do the same with the ultimate alien boy scout?! There was no way...only, there was. I still can't believe how much I enjoyed Man of Steel and part of that love came from the music. I'm still in the camp where we don't think Hans Zimmer drowns out the dialogue. Sure, there are some close moments, but his music always finds somethinew new and surprisingly and oddly raw that I wouldn't expect to work. The held, stuttering violin strings in Dark Knight, the chant in Dark Knight Rises, the racing rhythm of the track 'Mombasa' in Inception. This soundtrack comes from the same breed. It is not afraid to experiment and it respects the right to carve it's own path. I can see why people struggle with this CD but, if you loved the film and you loved the music, what's not to like? The extra CD, with it's long first track of sketches, is fascinating. While the rest of it really gets the blood pumping and the memories fighting for attention. Now, excuse me, I have to take cover. I can hear John Williams coming for me.
on 17 June 2013
When I went to see Man of Steel one of the things I wondered was how on earth would the soundtrack stack up against the superb John Williams soundtrack?
Well as I began to watch the film I realised it had been done. The soundtrack is excellent, it captures every mood and all the action and there is a fitting theme for the Man Of Steel.
So I as sat in my chair memorised by the music as the credits rolled I saw the name Hans Zimmer and I thought, but of course.
Well done Mr Zimmer!! You took on something a lot of composers would have run away from and you nailed it.
The sound track is excellent, this first thing I did when I got home is to log onto Amazon and buy it. Excellent!
This is the original motion picture score for the "Man of Steel" film (2013), consisting of 17 tracks and lasting about 90 minutes. It is the standard edition (there is a deluxe 2-disc special edition with six bonus tracks, entitled "Are You Listening, Clark?", "General Zod", "You Led Us Here", "This Is Madness!", "Earth" and "Arcade").

This soundtrack was composed by Hans Zimmerman. It introduces a new theme for Superman, a form of contemporary classicism. It's very good, often majestic, and reflects the epic qualities of the film.

If you've watched the film, and enjoyed it, you'll probably like this. However, the soundtrack did divide audiences (and fans of the original Superman theme - from the Richard Donner films - might not enjoy this new interpretation). It's dark, gritty, with a thunderous percussion - and, in my view, greatly entertaining.