on 6 June 2013
I must confess I arrived to the vagrant party pretty late. But, the cool thing about vagrant, is you can get up and running really quickly, making it an ideal tool in the delivery process for the seasoned and uninitiated alike.
After using vagrant for a while, I wanted to do more with it, but didn't have the time to figure it out. So when Mitchell Hashimoto released Vagrant Up, I was curious. I grabbed the kindle copy, and I am glad to say, I wasn't disappointed. Chapter 7 where he delves into plugin development was the real seller for me. Within a couple of hours, I had written a plugin and got me thinking about other possibilities. Even though a reasonable knowledge of ruby is required, the author goes over the internals with an easy-going style. I definitely recommend this book to anyone involved with DevOps, automation or the software delivery process.
on 16 November 2016
I can only reiterate other reviewers; the book repeats itself with basic and irrelevant commentary that provides no value to the reader. For example 'Tao of Vagrant' this is frustrating when you try to get going with it.
But more importantly it misses key bits of information that I need (as a configuration management obsessive):
* What is vagrant doing under the hood? For example; why is the image I get from Vagrant not the same as I get from Ubuntu?
* How do I create an image with the RAM, HDD and CPU sizes I need (and what does this do to the box image)?
* How to I ensure that all users box-files are up-to-date?
* How to I ensure reproducible configs, by getting the box-file from used during test?

I can't help but feeling that some of the issues I am seeing depict Vagrant as still immature - perhaps in the future it'll evolve or be superseded as CVS has been by git.
on 19 September 2015
Unfortunately not very detailed. This book only explains the very basics, which any Vagrant user will already know. This doesn't go into topics like using Jenkins to spin up a cluster of Vagrant instances and run parallel tests across them. That's obviously a specific use case, so expecting that exact topic is a stretch, but you'd expect at least 2-3 complex use cases, not just "run vagrant up to have a VM!".
on 17 February 2015
Covers the basic subject matter well. It is a little out of date in some areas and the coverage of Windows is virtually non-existent. But not bad as an introductory guide. Could do with an update to a more recent version and include mentions of other providers such as AWS which is clearly increasingly popular.
on 30 December 2014
An excellent introduction to using Vagrant. After reading this book I've been able to setup a customised development box that almost mirrors my production web server.

A recommended read.
on 10 July 2015
Rather out of date. Doesn't cover much more than Vagrant's website.