Customer reviews

5,085
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 6 May 2017
The very best book I have read in years,in fact I have read it 3 times since I bought it and I have never done this before each time I have found something that I might have missed. I will say no more other than every one who loves a good thriller should not miss this wonderful new author and am looking forward to his next book as will you.
on 3 June 2017
Got this on recommendation from a friend. I was gripped from the start and was until the end!! While I was reading it I was thinking that this would make a fantastic movie and am so glad that is going to happen. I have read the first few chapters of Terry Hayes new book and I'm sure it's going to be as good as this one. A must read.
This is the story of a really great intelligence officer, we know this because he tells us so frequently, and the parallel story of a terrorist plot to devastate America.

The story is well written, although the pacing does sag a bit in the middle, and it does seem to hop about between different genres. It would be easy to be critical, none of the characters are exactly detailed, none of the locations particularly come alive, the whole book is based on coincidences that are far beyond sober reflection. However any good thriller will require you to suspend belief and enjoy the ride. I thought that the conclusion was really excellent, nimbly tying up loose ends.

The author has certainly worked hard on this book, but I think he could have skipped over some of the material more lightly. The reader does not need to be walked through every door, along every corridor, down every step, …

There is a second book in the offing, but I wonder whether publication is being delayed pending a possible film deal, as no author would allow the opening of his book to be published if they had not finished it.
on 18 June 2017
I must admit one of the best thrillers I've read in years, and this kind of storyline - just rocks my senses.
Brilliantly written, compelling story-line, holding breath or falling asleep when you read - is just not an option
Fantastic
on 19 July 2017
Now I’m not someone who normally goes for spy thrillers. I find that all too often they can be cliché, predictable and populated with gung-ho, rather arrogant heroes. Nevertheless, after being pestered by my entire family I relented and finally put my stuck-up literary nose into this ‘spy novel’. It turns out that I Am Pilgrim had me eating my words.

The most outstanding feature of this novel is of course the plot. All of the different sub-stories held my attention and went tearing along at breakneck speed, before crashing together in the book’s explosive final chapters. Cliché? No. The plot is smart, original and extremely intricate, spanning decades and taking the reader across the globe from New York to Saudi Arabia. Predictable? Also no. Even if, perhaps, everything does slot into place a little too conveniently in the ending, there was no shortage of suspense throughout and some plot twists genuinely caught me off guard. Terry Hayes constructs a modern 21st century threat to the Western world that is unsettling for its believability. This book is the definition of a page turner – if I wasn’t reading it, I was thinking about it or talking about it.

As for I Am Pilgrim’s reluctant hero, Scott Murdoch, a few reviews have been critical of his character for being weakly constructed. However, I found that something about the air of resigned sadness he seems to carry made me sympathetic to him; I did become invested in his character. Far from the shoot-it-or-shag-it persona, Scott is perceptive and has a sensitivity that is called into question during his rise through the intelligence agency.

I was intrigued by the book’s exploration of the theme of loneliness throughout. As summed up perfectly by my favourite quote, Scott feels isolated from those around him because of his chilling intelligence work. He is observant but separate, as an outsider looking in. This contributes to the sense of sadness surrounding him. Ultimately, his character gives I Am Pilgrim a humanity that sets it apart from other thrillers.

Favourite quote: ‘I slept and dreamed that life was beauty; I woke and found that life was duty’. Taken from a poem by Louisa May Alcott.

Read if: You want an intelligent, modern and exciting thriller with a difference.
on 11 June 2017
A smart, immensely readable, impressively plotted page-turner ... A tour de force. One of the best spy thrillers I've read. Totally immersed in the plot as it developed as he finally got the Saracen to come to him. Brilliant.
on 6 December 2014
A cliche but I gave to admit a thoroughly enjoyable page turner of the first order! From start to finish my every second thought was to finish what I was doing and get back to the iPad. I am already looking forward to reading more from this excellent story teller. It was like reading my first James Bond novel blended with Lee Childs at his best! Truly a good read!
on 7 July 2017
Such a great book. I couldn't put it down. The storyline is captivating, full of intrigue, well researched. The reader warms up to the main character almost immediately and the way the various characters are introduced, the way the story unfolds, keeps the reader in continuous tension, to see what happens next.
on 11 June 2017
Nice style of writing. Easy reading and nice twists and turns with multiple storyline threads woven through. Unfortunately the ending let it down for me. It felt as if everything got wrapped up far too neatly and the antagonist seemed to give away his life's work far too quickly and easily.
on 10 October 2014
This was recommended to me by someone who said it was the best book they had ever read. I have to agree to an extent that this is certainly a very good and very well written adventure/thriller. It grips you from the beginning to the end and as someone who shys away from fiction normally this made a change to my reading habits. Throughly enjoyed and recommended.