on 5 June 2013
What a great read and so hard to put down.
The author writes with clarity, with a warm and optimistic tone which is so infectious. This guide will help many new artists start their careers in a very informed and professional way. I wish I had read a book like this before I'd begun my career!

This book is a must read for emerging illustrators and graphic designers. The author has great advice that is also relevant to many other creative disciplines. As a professional artist, I read this having already taken the leap of faith and still found many useful gems. Well worth a read and a great resource to return to.
on 9 June 2013
I bought this book after finishing my illustration degree and its been so helpful in answering all the questions you forget to ask, even simple things like how much should you charge? Or writing an invoice. Would recommend for any aspiring illustrator out there...
on 8 December 2013
This book is incredibly informative and is perfect for anybody who wants to know about (or how to get into) freelance illustration. The book is laid out well in specific chapters, all ending with interviews with other people in the illustration industry. It's very interesting to read the different advice and experiences from these people.

The way the book is written is very positive and inspiring - it's really good for motivation! It has tons of useful and important information that I've either bookmarked or jotted down, as I know it's going to be extremely useful in future.

In short, this book is a very well-written guide to freelance illustration that is exceedingly difficult to put down. I highly recommend it.
on 29 May 2013
This book is brilliant and a complete bargain. It is a great resource for students at college or university and individuals, who wish to progress into freelance illustration or other areas of visual communication. The book itself is extremely thorough, as it covers equipment lists, interviews with current freelancing illustrators, advice on university courses and agents and fees. Even coming from a graphic design background, I found this book an invaluable source of information. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is in or interested in this field and wants to progress further within their own work.
on 17 March 2015
I cannot write and say that this book has pertinent advice because am an illustrator. But it does tell you what the world of being self employed and relying on your own talents would be.

The interviews with those that work in the heady world of design and illustration. The pit falls the ways that work. If you are expecting a books that says do this and by the end of it. (I dont think there is a book that claims that).

This book is honest. Its like having a conversation with an expert. One who knows is encouraging but reminding you if you want this career you have to expect to work hard. To be knocked back and have to sensible.

So kind of great. Gives anyone a lot to think about. But never says do not or you cannot.
on 6 June 2013
Written in an informative and entertaining way this book gives a great insight into what it takes to be a successful freelance illustrator. The book answers all the questions you could think of, with information on everything from clients and portfolios to how to pay your taxes!
Another great book offering tips on how to be a great illustrator is How to be an Illustrator. The two books together give different opinions and the ultimate advice, however, if you're on a budget this is the book for you!
on 25 June 2013
This is a great book for anyone looking to get serious about their passion for illustrating. In it you will find great tips and methods for getting your foot in the door of the illustration industry. There are interviews and checklists, all the practical know-how you need. It's not a how to illustrate but a how to make money from illustrating.
on 23 July 2013
I am just starting to think about going into illustration, and I have found this book to be a very valuable introduction to the world of freelancing. It is straight to the point and contains some excellent resources...I would definitely recommend it.
on 27 February 2014
I studied fine art at university, because I love to draw. And I wanted to pursue it as a career. During my three years of degree I was told several times to stop drawing, so I did, and I completely lost my confidence with it.
This book not only really inspired me, but it also made me feel brave enough to take the first few steps and have started redeveloping a portfolio, and my head feels very busy with exciting ideas, the know how, and confidence to carry them out.
It is written in a very human, and encouraging style, like the words of an art tutor I wish I had had along the way in my art education.
I would highly recommend this book to anybody thinking of making a career from illustration!
on 17 November 2015
The moment I started reading this book, I thought 'I can do this!’ it is so inspiring. It is a practical and concise but thorough guide to becoming a freelance illustrator, rather than a book about creative skills, so is best for illustrators who need a road map and the confidence to take their existing work forward into starting a career. The author is passionate, down-to-earth, positive and generous, which for me elevates the book above some other popular illustration guides. There are lots of very useful interviews with illustrators, art directors and agencies, and free downloads and career resources. This book will be invaluable for me if/when I get my first illustration job as it provides advice on contracts, getting paid, tax etc. If you are lacking in confidence about starting an illustration career, buy this book!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse