Loud Like Love
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 February 2015
This is in my opinion one of their best records. It took a while to get into, their approach is a little different, especially the positive anthemic title song, but the moods vary on the album, it's got plenty heart ranging tunes. Also their sound is big on this album, it sounds absolutely amazing. If you are a [placebo fan you will undoubtedly love this record. Fabulous big choruses and their,latest drummer is amazing. There is only one song I don't like and that is the 'rob a bank' one. But there must be people out there who will love that, so in my opinion that is that is weak moment, and the line in a previous song 'my computer thinks I'm gay, what's the difference anyway, but the rest of that song is amazing, so instant forgiveness as far as I'm concerned. All in all a beautiful album.
on 19 December 2013
I discovered Placebo on Top of the Pops performing Nancy Boy and have been an addict ever since.
This new album after the earlier tour de force that is B3 EP was met with some trepidation, would Placebo be able to match their previous six albums proper and the answer to this long standing fan is a resounding YES.
Placebo - Latin for: To Please, are my favourite band of all-time they utterly live up to their name, this new album of 10 tracks is like an audio drug, as soon as I've listened to all 10 tracks I feel compelled to hit the play button on my portable CD player again.
Sadly there have been disparaging reviews from people who just don't get this band and would rather, or so it seems to me, be reviewing something less challenging and frankly less well written NME I'm pointing the finger at your female reviewer who wrote some vitriolic nonsense regarding this album, which for my taste beggars belief.

From start to finish this is a tight and compact record, there are no filler tracks, as some so called self proclaimed fans have even stated on this very site.
Sorry, but you need to reassess and quantify, every single track leads into the next with the kind of mature measured knowledge that only a band like Placebo could ever hope to achieve.
Clearly Brian's writing here is influenced by David Bowie's latest album, but I think they may have been influenced by similarly great British bands earlier release this year by Suede in so much that both bands have put out an entire album of love songs, which may be coincidence, but even so is a very happy one to this fan.

Stand out tracks, well hell they are all great, but force to pick I would put Exit Wounds close to the top, but as I've already opined, each new song leads perfectly into the next, from the opening belter to the final poignantly honest song I can find no fault and no dissemination from their original blue-print to elevate the pain of life, love and existence for people like myself who find themselves disenfranchised from the regular morass of pop.

Placebo are pop and rock infused with an emotional resonance not found by this overall music fan in any other guise.

"I gotta testify"
on 13 February 2017
The album itself was good and in working order. My star rating shouldn't reflect on quality of the product as it was great! However ever album I have ever bought from placebo has had me playing it to death and as excited as the 21 year old that first purchased an album still fearful I was making a mistake. Each album after brought great excitement while this seemed a little empty.

But please make your own desisions! Music is opinion after all and one mans fruit is another mans poison!
on 30 September 2013
I love Placebo a lot so was rather excited when this album became available so much so i got the deluxe edition and even bought it as a mp3 little realizing i got that free due to amazons auto rip hahahaha!!!!

Any way stand out tracks for me include Too Many Friends,Purify,Rob The Bank and Scene of the crime!!! although i could pick any number or songs. I haven't loved a Placebo album this much since Black Market Music!!!!!
on 18 December 2013
Since Placebo exploded onto the scene with their classic indie angst debut album in 1996 they have continued to exceed my expectations. I never thought they would ever better that first album but they did so with Without You Im Nothing. Since then they have released consistently great albums. Loud Like Love retains an anthemic and emotive quality throughout and whilst perhaps not quite reaching the heights of WYIN it still manages to be one of the best albums of 2013.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 February 2014
Placebo are one of the few bands that you can rely on, just buy their latest album blind and you wont be disappointed.
They don't change their style dramtically they have no need to, a few more synths maybe on this release but its the quality of the writing that shines through and quaity tune after tune.
Standouts for me Too Many Friends, A Million Little Pieces, Exit Wounds.
Please Brian & Co come and tour the UK its been far too long.
on 2 July 2014
if Brian's lyrics didn't make me cringe so much, this would be one of the best albums EVER!
Production wise, it sounds OK and nowhere near as good as battle for the sun but of course, that was produced by David Bottrill

I heard they used a fairly new producer for this album and that does show on tracks like "a million little pieces" where the second guitar line is almost inaudible on the recording but a central part of the track live

The bass and drums though do sound pretty amazing

song wise, chord progressions and melodies are beautiful as always. there are only two tracks that I would call fillers - namely bosco and hold on to me

Brian's lyrics, again, are awful but i still love this album for the most part
on 21 October 2013
I love Placebo so straight away bought the album when released. My first thoughts were that it is very different from the last albums but I really love it now after a few plays. I've also bought copies as presents. I've played it in the car and soon learnt the songs to be able to sing along with them. Some catchy tunes and lyrics, with Brians unique voice that makes it unmistakeably Placebo. Give it a go.
on 5 November 2014
There are some real gems of insight on this album, the opening song is the best, other notable brilliances featured Hold on to Me and Begin the End. It was a clearer, sharper sound, using IPod applications over distorted guitars this time, it was interesting that this theme of love has just spun itself after nearly 20 years. It was definitely a satisfying listen that did not derange.
on 8 January 2014
When I placed this album in the CD player for the first time, I have to admit I didn't quite know what to expect. As soon as Brian's distinctive vocals started on track 1, I just knew this album was going to be something special. Some albums has maybe 1 or 2 songs which are worth listening to (the rest being fillers), but I have to say every one on this CD is fantastic! The standout tracks are 'Loud Like Love', 'A Million Pieces' and my absolute favourite being 'Begin The End'. The whole album has a wonderful feel to it, displaying a maturity of sound which is full bodied and completely seductive. 10 out of 10.