Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.17

on 6 February 2017
Luminaries is a eloquently written prose that keeps the reader enthralled all the way throughout the book. Albeit this is a long read.

I would go so far as to say that this has been one of the best books I've read and would highly recommend it.
on 10 September 2014
The story was excellent.the plot had numerous twists and the characters had depth.unfortunately there was what I can only refer to as a false ending and all that followed could have been dealt with chronologically earlier in the novel to greater effect
on 16 December 2013
This long, intricate novel very skillfully takes us into an unfamiliar world and by dint of extraordinary detail allows us to share in its concerns and believe that this tale of murder and revenge matters as much as it does to the characters themselves. The writer I was most put in mind of while reading was Conrad, with its tale of desperate loners and greedy prospectors in the South Seas, and I mean that very much as a compliment. But several of the characters are very similar to each other, making it hard to differentiate between them and therefore to care for them, and the story really does fizzle out towards the end, as several other reviewers have commented. For most of the 800 odd pages I was gripped by the sheer narrative drive and clever pastiche Victorian style, but on closing the book, finally,my feeling was...so what?
Maybe I was expecting too much.
on 28 July 2014
So rich and so rewarding but a very difficult read. I started it a few times BUT im so glad i stuck with it...... Set in New Zealand and an interesting mix of character and the story is so intricate it tests your patience. BUT its a good read.
on 7 December 2013
I may find myself in a fairly small minority here but I found this novel rather a disappointment after all the hype it received after it was awarded this year's Booker Prize. Yes, it is an intriguing mystery but I felt that far too much effort went into complying with the self-imposed formatting devices, and style was allowed to win out over substance.. The characterisations are regulated by astrological charts, and the word count in each of the sections is exactly half of that in the preceding section. All very clever, maybe, but I prefer to feel that a book's vocabulary has been selected to meet the exigencies of plot, style and character rather to satisfy numerological quirk, although if we are looking from a quantitative rather than qualitative perspective I think that it might have benefited from being perhaps 400 pages shorter!

To be fair, the plot is intriguing, and I was initially sucked in to the story, which unfolds by stages, with a different character taking the lead in narrating each chapter. Boiled down to its essential ingredients Walter Moody, newly arrived in a small New Zealand town at the centre of that country's gold rush. Walking into the lounge of the hotel where he has put up he encounters twelve leading figures of the town who had gathered in private to discuss a complex series of crimes that have occurred in and around the town. Moody's arrival in the bar is initially unwelcome but the locals unbend and start narrating, in turn, the series of events that have so unnerved them.

I don't mind long books, or complex books, nor even long AND complex books, but I resent feeling that I am simply being asked along to pay homage to the writer's cleverness,however indisputable that cleverness might be!
on 25 August 2014
A long and complicated plot. Many characters but I was gripped by it and particularly enjoyed the portrait of New Zealand during the gold rush. A good holiday read as you need to have plenty of time to really get absorbed in the story.
on 21 January 2015
Maybe I'm missing something but this for me is the most uninteresting book I have tried to read in a long time. If it was a library book it would have been returned ages ago.
on 21 February 2014
I think too much of the book is about legalities and this doesn't interest me. I don't find the characters engaging and there are too many. The imagery is evocative and apart from trying to work out the plot, the book is easy to read.
on 5 January 2015
Rarely do I give up on a book but I did this one. Rambling, disjointed and too long winded.
To be honest, unless you like a challenge then I wouldn't bother. There are thousands of other lovely books to spend your time with.
on 18 January 2014
Although long and involved, very well written and life like characters. Interesting historically in terms of the relationships that are formed in fairly isolated conditions but linked to earlier times and situations so you gradually discover what the individuals are like and can guess what happens to them . The story also shows why they behave as they do and so that you are reluctant for the story to come to an end even after such a long read. The pace quickens towards the end so the last part can be read much more quickly than the first. Though it might be possible to cut some passages it's hard to know exactly which ones and Eleanor Catton manages to move on just as the reader wonders when this will happen. A very godd read.