on 13 March 2015
I needed a portable radio for years & have done a lot of research into other models & they were always missing different features but seeing this one a couple of times in Curry's the design & features just stood out for me it's slick, shiny & has a good weight to it so thought I'll give it a chance & I'm happy I did !. The features for a compact unit like this are second to none dab radio clear & plenty of stations to choose from presets are handy too, internet radio is outstanding & I don't know how I got by without it you could listen to Jazz from The U.S, Dance music from Ibiza whatever your taste it's out their or should I say in hear !. I haven't tried the pods yet but the u.s.b is in use with my Wd portable drive if your tech Savvy just hook it up & you can do mostly whatever you like. The sound is Ok' not loud but it does have a Bass. & Treble adjustment which help, the sleep timer is ok too but they only thing I don't like about it is it has to be plugged regardless of having a battery pack still no big deal I have a lot of music on my I phone which I've been using to wake me up on cold mornings so It was never a deal breaker. Three things could be better an internal Ariel, louder & a remote but these aren't a big deal either their just my preference. Only reason I didn't give this slick full stars is the reasons above & having to buy the battery separately that's bad !. But If your looking for a great little radio that does live up to its description then stop wasting your time & buy this won't be disappointed I have high expectations & I'm not
This review has gone through a total overhaul..... and for good reason. Pure's customer support is simply outstanding !! The tech at Pure were so concerned with the shortcomings I reported on one unit that they asked me to ship the product directly to them, whilst they shipped a replacement. Barely a day later I had my replacement radio on my desk.

I was immediately drawn to the lovely, piano black finish of this very stylish radio. On close inspection there were no scratches or stripped screws I had seen on my previous unit. This now confirmed my suspicions that the previous radio was a return and that I had wrongly blamed Pure for poor quality control. It also meant that my previous review did not hold water, as I was reviewing a used and probably tampered with unit.

A point worth noting before I proceed further is that customer support plays a huge role when buying a product. Pure will really go out of their way (as in my case) to guarantee customer satisfaction.

Pros:
- Stylish, compact unit
- *Setting up internet streaming could not be any easier
- Alarm snooze by simply touching the metal "Snooze Handle"
- "Intelligent menu" touch sensitive buttons, which light up only if they are associated with a particular function
- One touch Recording. I use a tiny USB Super Talent Pico memory stick (a perfect match for this radio)
- Mobile unit (Pity that the proprietary battery is not included in the unit considering the premium price)
- Great WiFi reception. I still get a good signal through 4 stone walls, and 30 feet away
- Crisp, high quality punchy sound
- Periodic firmware updates via WiFi. Since I bought the radio there have been 3 firmware updates
- Very informative crisp display, showing song and artist names plus the time (Internet radio). In FM mode displayed content depends on the transmitting station (RDS)
- DAB+ (The sound is much better than DAB, and is future proof for UK)
- Brag that you have "What HiFi's" product of the year!!

*The multi-function knobs do a great job in assisting easy setup. The WiFi password is entered by rotating the knob until the desired letter or number is highlighted, and a push on the knob itself confirms selection.

Cons :
- AUX out has been ditched. It can still be connected to an amp via headphones, yet having an output at the pre-amp stage is always better
Pure Accessory ChargePAK F1 Rechargeable Battery Pack , which makes this unit mobile is not bundled with the unit
- No remote. An iOs/Android App could be made available for the Evoke series as the existing one leaves much to be desired

One of the mentioned cons is the omission of AUX out. To be fair, the pictures on the listing clearly show that there is no such output. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised by the great sound quality when hooking the unit to a Hi-Fi system via the headphone jack.

I can keep on going about the smart design and great features of this lovely radio. It does reflect that Pure have put a lot of time and effort into the design of the Pure Evoke F4. If only we could have a dedicated iOS/Android app for the Evoke series radios, than that would be the icing on the cake !!

Hope you find the review helpful. Happy Streaming :)
77 Comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2013
I purchased this radio in spite of the many negative reviews on Amazon. It was delivered in good time and worked straight out of the box. FM and DAB reception is fine. (FM needs aerial out.
It found my wifi and connected swiftly, recognising my wireless key.. It found the music on my PC and streamed with no problem. I then checked out the Buetooth and now could use the Evoke as an extension speaker when watching BBC iPlayer on my phone or tablet.
In all, it meets all the specifications listed. I am almost fully satisfied with my Purchase. My only gripe is the time it takes to boot up. When you want to listen to the radio you want it to just turn on, not to have to wait over a minute (using battery power) before you can change staions. I'll get used to it !
on 29 March 2015
For four years I had an Evoke 3, which met my needs perfectly well. I was away from home for lengthy periods, and being a radio fanatic I liked to record to an SD card for when I got home. The best of these recordings I saved, and they were as good as a CD. When the 'record' function broke down, I put it in for repair; obviously they couldn't repair it, so they sent me one of these instead.

It's a joke. The old Evoke 3 could be programmed to record up to 18 presets. This allows 3. The old Evoke 3 allowed you to choose a day of the week for a single recording, now you only get 'Once Only', which will choose the next available option, or repeat recordings. For my purposes it is almost unusable. I realise there are a variety of catch-up options for listening to radio, but this was by far the least hassle and THIS IS THE ONE I WANT!!! Whatever happened to customer service?

There are a number of other features on this radio, most of which, if you read other reviewers, barely seem to work. But even if they did, to me it would be like buying a mobile phone which made movies and a cup of tea, but which you couldn't actually use to make a phone call.

It's smaller than the Evoke 3, the sound is a poor mono, and doesn't have the richness or the volume. The controls are far more fiddly than the Evoke 3, as you have to alternate between two sets of controls for no logical reason.

I will keep this solely because it seems too much hassle to send it back and demand a refund for the repair money I sent (£60). Also there doesn't seem to be any good recording radio on the market any more. Roberts had one, which I was told is now withdrawn. If anyone knows of a model which has a reasonable number of pre-sets and is moderately user-friendly I would love to know about it.

UPDATE: Since writing the above I've discovered 2 more stupidities in the design. 1) There is no facility to delete a file from a USB stick once you have listened to it. The only way to do so is to take the stick out and do it on another device. 2) You cannot set a recording while another programme is recording or indeed playing from a USB stick. Both these things were possible on the Evoke 3. I wish it was possible to award Minus Stars.

FURTHER UPDATE: There is no facility for fast forwarding a recording while you are listening to it. If, for example, it is an hour-long radio programme and you're called away to do something else, you will then have to start again at the beginning to get back to where you left it.

In the last two days the radio has 'frozen' twice. The clock has stopped, and all controls are also frozen. The only way to unfreeze it is to unplug it at the mains (presumably you'd have to take the batteries out if it was running on them). You will then get a message 'timer/clock not available', until you switch the radio on, when it will pick up a time signal.

Having tried to get on with this for a month, I'm sending it back and demanding my money back. This product is a disgrace, especially at this routrageous price.

THIS STORY HAS A HAPPY ENDING

Fair dos. When I emailed Pure to arrange a return, and sent them a copy of this review, I had a very charming reply saying that Pure had recently taken delivery of a few more Evoke 3 radios and were prepared to give me one of those instead of the awful Evoke 4. I gratefully accepted, and am now back to what I wanted, and very satisfied. Customer service was excellent in the end, and what's more, the Evoke 3 is slightly improved (bigger memory for programming) and tone is excellent. Just one request, Mr. Pure - could you make this radio to save programmes in .MP3 format rather than .MP2, please? It is much more convenient, and you do it on the Evoke 4.

Any radio lovers interested in recording should get in with an order for an Evoke 3 while they still have them.
44 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2013
This radio is an update to the older Pure Evoke Flow radio which was one of the first streaming radios on the market. Pure have made some changes. The overall design has been tweaked, rounded edges and a blue/grey LED give the F4 a lovely retro look, which will make this radio look at home anywhere in the house.

Pure have added Bluetooth connectivity and record capability too- the Bluetooth connectivity is through a small (supplied) dongle and the record facility is through the USB connection to a USB storage device- as there's only one USB port, the Bluetooth dongle needs to be removed to allow recording.

The controls on the front panel include two rotary controls - volume and a scroll/select control and there are also 7 touch controls- a Home button, Preset button, Tag button, settings button, and a Back button. The on/off button is also a touch control. The sound of this radio really is excellent - up there with the very best for Voice Radio and it still does well with music too - and can fill a small room such as a bedroom with reasonable listening volume. For it's size, its an impressive performer.

Overall, navigation through the menu system has been improved from the original radio - it's quicker and a little more intuitive to get around with the F4.

As a DAB radio it performs really well and at my location it picked up over 30 stations without the antenna being extended. It's a really nice radio actually.

Bluetooth is a revelation. It's great to be able to stream directly from my IPad or IPhone without requiring Internet connection. Fantastic with BBC IPlayer on the IPhone. Also I love streaming my Spotify music to it when I want to - and it also means I can search for internet radio streams from other third party apps on my IPhone.

Connecting the F4 it the Internet is a breeze and you can stream thousands of interesting and unusual Internet radio stations in minutes using the Pure connect web portal which on the whole looks impressive and is very easy to find your way around.

You can set up to two alarms on it and it has the famous "Snooze Handle" which means that snoozing when the alarm actually goes off is easy (perhaps too easy on a monday morning). The sleep function is difficult to use though - by the time you've found it you'll be wide awake, having probably had to read the manual. I'd love PURE to allow the choice of using the Snooze Handle as a Sleep Handle for easy setting or extension of sleep timer.

With the addition of a rechargeable proprietary Pure battery to make this a very portable radio, The PURE Evoke F4 has a lot going for it, even though the rechargeable battery will set you back an extra £33. But when you think about it for a moment this is probably less than the cost of 6 alkaline battery sets and being able to just plug the radio in to get the battery re-charged is very convenient. I'm not sure how long the battery lasts - haven't put that to the test so far, though on the old model Evoke Flow I used to get around 10hrs from one charge.

The only star this radio loses is for its rather unreliable performance with Listen Again. I have a 4.5Mbs talk talk router and normal streaming of pure music and Internet radio is effortless as indeed it should be- but this radio still doesn't always manage to play back Listen Again programmes. The Pure app on IPhone and IPad has a habit of hanging too. The F4 fares much better than the Pure app here as it frequently manages to recover itself, but all too often you are left with a silent radio. Having owned the radio now for several weeks, my success rate streaming Listen Again is just over 60% - this still isn't reliable enough and I hope PURE can make more improvements. The best thing to do is to use BBC IPlayer through the Bluetooth connection from an Iphone or similar as this has never let me down.

Whilst PURE have made a great deal of improvements with this radio, clunkiness of navigation is still a niggle. In my original review I complained that detailed internet radio information had been replaced by a caption saying (Live Stream). PURE support told me how to correct this on the radio - and it was very easy, once the "trick" was known. The Information button hides behind several menus and is tucked away in the display settings. The functionality is great - it allows you to display whatever information you want to on the LED screen but its a bit awkward to get to.

In light of the updated information on radio station information, plus my experiences with the radio over the weeks I've owned it I can honestly recommend this radio to most (with the one caution about the reliability of streaming Listen Again streams) - it looks great, sounds brilliant and can stream my Spotify music as well- this really is close to being an exceptional product and is a significant and worthwhile update for the PURE Evoke Flow.

My review was updated on 17 Sep 2013
11 Comment| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 January 2015
I have found this to be an informative and entertaining radio. To make best use of it of course it is necessary to integrate it into a home Wi-Fi network, no great problem using the printed user manual. Once this is done a worldwide choice of radio stations is available. Stations are initially "loaded" into the radio by logging ones PC into the pure.com website and then finding stations of personal interest e.g. if one wants "German" stations broadcasting "opera" selecting these key words gives a list relevant stations. One should not expect concert hall performance from this compact radio but for my purposes the speaker system leaves nothing to complain about.
Buying a battery pack for this radio makes it easily portable e.g. from kitchen to bathroom.
Another useful feature is the facility for recording programs/music by plugging a memory stick into the rear USB slot, although I put a 250 mm tail between the two, saves wear on the USB slot!
The screen display is bright and clear ,particularly helpful for those like me whose eyesight is not as good as it used to be. The display itself can be configured to switch off after 7 secs. so it is not left burning for hours when the radio is not in use.
Changing programs requires turning and depressing a knob on the front of the radio, not a great chore unless the radio is not within arms reach of your armchair. It would be nice to have a simple remote control for selecting 3 or 4 favourite programs.-- Some people are never satisfied! It's still an excellent radio and for my purposes worth a 5 star rating.
The Pure Evoke F4 is an evolution of the very successful and award winning Evoke Flow. It ditches AUX out, yet adds recording and Bluetooth compatibility.

This offering comes in an eco friendly, frustration free packaging, reminiscent of Pure products.

I was immediately drawn to the lovely, piano black finish of this very stylish radio. Build quality is second to none thanks to the premium materials and great attention to detail.

A point worth noting before I proceed further is that customer support plays a huge role when buying a product. Pure will really go out of their way to guarantee customer satisfaction.

After over a year of ownership I have been through every nook and cranny of this lovely radio. It has accompanied me faithfully through long days in the garage to family picnics. Where there is no DAB or Wi-Fi reception, I use FM... and when this is not available either I would just stick a USB dongle and play my own music.

Pros:
○ Stylish, compact unit
○ *Setting up internet streaming could not be any easier
○ Alarm snooze by simply touching the metal "Snooze Handle"
○ "Intelligent menu" touch sensitive buttons, which light up only if they are associated with a particular function
○ One touch Recording. I use a tiny USB Super Talent Pico memory stick (a perfect match for this radio)
○ Mobile unit (Pity that the proprietary battery is not included in the unit considering the premium price)
○ Great WiFi reception. I still get a good signal through 4 stone walls, and 30 feet away
○ Crisp, high quality punchy sound
○ Periodic firmware updates via WiFi. Since I bought the radio there have been 3 firmware updates
○ Very informative crisp display, showing song and artist names plus the time (Internet radio). In FM mode displayed content depends on the transmitting station (RDS)
○ DAB+ (The sound is much better than DAB, and is future proof for UK)
○ Brag that you have "What HiFi's" product of the year!!

Cons :
- Pure Accessory ChargePAK F1 Rechargeable Battery Pack , which makes this unit mobile is not bundled with the unit

Hope you find the review helpful. Happy Streaming :)
on 3 September 2013
Took me a few minutes to get my head round all the various features but it's a lovely bit of kit.
Clear display. Very good sound.
Love the fact that I can choose favourites/stations on my tablet or PC and the radio is instantly updated. I do find the tablet/PC the easiest way to choose stations as the search feature of the radio is very basic. E.G. You can look for stations beginning with B but you are unable, as far as I can see, to refine the search to stations beginning BRI which is why the other methods of finding stations is easier for me.
That's my only grumble.
After a bit of experimentation the radio can now find all the music on my network drive should I wish to listen to it this way.
All in all one of my better buys.
on 24 May 2015
Although I have three Bose radios, they are only FM/AM and whilst their sound is superb, their reception is poor as I seem to live in a radio black hole. So, I decided to buy my first internet radio. I carried out a lot of research before buying the Pure Evoke F4 and was finally persuaded by a friend who has an earlier version of the Evoke. I live in Germany and could easily have bought an internet radio here but somehow I felt that buying a British product might offer advantages as I primarily want to listen to UK stations. And my choice was right as on my Pure Evoke F4 I can get, for example, Classic FM, which curiously enough I can't get on my PC or MacBook Pro as I get the message 'Sadly our broadcasting rights do not allow us to play to locations outside the UK. If you are in the UK, please enter your postcode:' but the Evoke gets round that - don't know how but there we have it and I am well pleased

The delivery was rapid and the product arrived undamaged in its original trade package. It was very well packaged and on opening I was very pleased to find that it also had a two pin EU adapter part for the plug. Once that was clipped on it was straight plug and play. There is some introductory blurb from Pure whilst the device is being set up but as soon as I had keyed in my WiFi codes, it was ready to use. Firstly I managed to find many DB stations which I did not know existed. But I don't want to listed to them so I then tuned in the various FM stations in the area. Reception was do much better that with my Bose. possible because the Evoke has a proper aerial whereas the Bose uses its power cable as an antenna.

Finding the various internet radio station I want to listen to was a doddle and the are now in my favorites. The sound is really very good indeed, bearing in mind that it only has one speaker so stereo is not available. But, as this is actually a bedside radio, stereo is not an issue as it sits beside the bed. One thing which I do find need improvement is the brightness of the display which can't be turned down low enough to stop lighting up the bedroom once the bedside light is out and it is playing in sleep mode; for that reason I give it 4 not 5 stars. And when it is actually in sleep mode but with the display on it is still quite bright and so I have set the display to off, meaning I can't see the time. That is not the problem I thought it might be as you only need to reach out and touch the handle for the display to come to life for 7 second, enough time to see the time so to speak. Actually i quite like that.

Now, I knew before I bought it that there was no remote control. I would encourage Pure to either develop one or else to write an app for it as that would make use much nicer. A nice touch is being able to listen to the any of the vast amount of music I have got on my WD NAS which is connected to my router. And the BT connection to the music on my IPhone works just fine. I've not yet tried recording anything by plugging in a memory stick to the USB but will do so soon and update my comments of needs be.

All in all a very smart, well made, solid and good device which thoroughly merits 4 stars for delivering exactly what I expected and could get 5 if only the lighting can be improved, a remote device or app can be developed and finally, for the price I really expect a battery to be included. Notwithstanding these niggles, I recommend it.
on 23 July 2016
Have had a 'normal' Pure DAB radio for about a decade, and it's worked flawlessly - every day, for several hours a day - with only the aerial needing replacement about 5 years ago.

This thing - bought (kindly and with good intentions) by the missus for my birthday in March - has, however, been a disaster.

I don't want to sound unduly critical, but there's almost nothing lovable about it at all. In contrast with the other Pure radios, it's made of very cheap-looking plastic, and has an interface that's unintuitive and unresponsive at best, and downright cryptic at worst. The 'search' function for internet radio is tortuous if you're trying to work by (say...) genre and country of origin, and the sound when you finally get there is unremarkable (and buffering can make much internet radio unlistenable anyway). Worse, however, it takes an inordinate time to charge the battery (well over 24 hours on continuous charge), which then doesn't *hold* a charge for any more than a day or so, while the radio itself randomly forgets settings, randomly locks up (requiring multiple restarts to be coaxed back into life), and now - after only about 10 hours' use in total - has stopped working entirely. Only a glow behind the (now non-functioning) 'on' button suggests that anything's going on in there at all.

On top of which... trying to get it to stream music from my Mac was stupidly complex, unreliable, and has dumped a bit of seriously user-unfriendly software on my computer which opens my internet browser every time I turn my Mac on (whether I *want* my browser opened or not...). Why..? I mean, really - why..??!

Tragically, my missus (assuming all would be well) didn't hang on to the reciept... so this'll just be going for landfill. The dog-awful non-functioning software it deposited on my computer seems destined to remain there forever, though. Thanks a bunch, Pure.